The Crown Hotel Stamford
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Stamford
Reviewed 6 February 2012

We had planned to visit Stamford to watch a friend who is in a band in a local bar, and as it's an hour's drive away from home, we decided to make a night of it and book a hotel. We used Lastminute and booked The Crown.

The hotel is right in the centre of Stamford but has a private car park which was ideal. Reception was welcoming and friendly and we were shown to a much bigger and more luxurious room than we had expected. There was free wifi, and I would have been happy just to spend the evening in the room! We hadn't planned on eating there but the menu looked good so we decided to try it out. The food was very good, and there was plenty of it, and the service was excellent.

Breakfast in the morning was also excellent, and the staff were cheerful and helpful.

The hotel generally has a lovely feel to it, and we definitely plan to stay there again. We know Stamford fairly well, but this would be a really good base for people looking to explore the town for the first time as it's so central.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MtrsPacino

Reviewed 31 January 2012

Lovely welcome. Lovely room with an exceptionally comfortable bed The breakfast was very nice but the staff could hardly be bothered to take your order and bring coffee. Not a good morning nor a goodbye. We didn't eat in the evening but had a few drinks in the bar (We were never offered the free drink which we were told the first one would be free) The food and the drinks in the bar were quite expensive and I don't think there was a seperate restaurant or a residents lounge as advertised on the internet.We will definatly stay again but at only at a discounted price. Their rack rate is way too high.

Room Tip: We loved the quirky room 42
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank brenah
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Stayed one Saturday night in January. We found everything to be fine, the staff were all very friendly, the upgraded room on the second floor was good and we slept well. We got an internet deal which made the room & breakfast a pretty good deal especially with free secure parking and the nice touch of a free welcome drink each at the bar. We ate in the restaurant in the evening, the food was very good and nicely presented,as was the breakfast the next morning. We plan to stay here again when visiting family in the area.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank wintlekent
Reviewed 25 January 2012

Stayed just one night here in January 2012. Have to say, in our experience, it was all very nice. Paid for an upgraded room and ours was lovely with a four poster bed and a view of the church. Staff were all friendly and efficient and breakfast was good. Would not hesitate in booking here again (and this I can say has rarely been what we have thought on leaving a lot of hotels recently!).

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank chrispHampshire
Reviewed 9 January 2012

This was a surprise gift from my son
He told them about my needs and they got the most amazing lodge room ground floor roomwith on suite.
There is loads space for me to get around and the bed was so big and comfy i did not want to get out.
As a disabled vistor i was 100% happy with the room.
The breakfast was a big surprise what a selection, Cooked breakfast, cereals, fruit whatever you want.
But do make note that if you have a late night, the breakfast does stop quite early on sunday so they can cook sunday roast so do check so you know what time you have to be down, there was a wedding party that was not to happy, they missed the cooked breakfast because they did not know.
This is the only hicup i could see during my stay.
Very Clean

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michelelincolnshire
Reviewed 27 December 2011

I stayed at The Crown Hotel, Stamford, for 3 nights over the Christmas weekend 2011. So ..... Let's get the wee 'niggles' on arrival out of the way, then dwell on the good bits ...... some lightbulbs in the room not working, no hand towel and lint on a low level ledge in the bathroom .. not dust - there's a difference! (sorry,folks, as a healthcare professional, I notice these things) and the electric kettle did not switch off automatically = unsafe ...but do not be put off by the above ... PLEASE READ ON.
I was made most welcome on arrival - thank you Becky and Lisa. The 'good' bits begin with the 'niggles' being immediately addressed and resolved in an efficient and competent manner.
I stayed in 'The Cottage', room 42, adjacent to, but detached by a narrow, private, lane from, the main hotel building and overlooking All Saints Church / Place .... a fantastic room - spacious ... with character furniture and including a 'dressing' room as well as en suite. The bed was so comfortable that I overslept because I was not troubled by 'noise' from local pubs / discos as remarked on by previous comments ... the glazing was adequate. Complimentary WiFi and beverages in the room were most welcome. I should add that the room, itself, was spotless (I checked)! Note, however ...this room is on the first floor and accessed by steep stairs and therefore, I suggest, is unsuitable for the infirm.
I enjoyed two 'full' English breakfasts and dinners at The Crown - the breakfasts were very good with a substantial from buffet and as requested (pity ... no kippers, though!) and for dinner, I enjoyed a steak cooked just the way I like it and lamb that melted in the mouth. Thank you, chef ... sorry I could not finish the large portions. Dining room service was prompt, efficient and delivered with a smile and charm. Yes, dinner can be / is served adjacent to a loud-voiced, 'public' area. I was too interested in the food to notice. Wine, I fear, is overpriced although the choice is wide. The Bar, itself, serves a wide selection but lacks in 'good' Malts .. but the superb local brew is 'White Hart' from Ufford Ales.
I really like Stamford - it is, to me, a 'quaint' place full of charm and character and The Crown Hotel reflects this. I shall return one day. I hope that you, when you visit, have an equally pleasant stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a 'quiet' room - I did and it made the difference!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Ron M
Reviewed 19 December 2011

We had a large family group visiting us in Stamford and they chose to stay at The Crown.

Due to this being their first visit to our town, we wanted everything to run smoothly so we made sure we communicated with the hotel to ensure they had a charming experience as they were a mixed group of families with children.

We asked the hotel to ensure that the family rooms they were allocated were in a quieter zone of the hotel as there is a very lively and noisy nightclub next door. The hotel PROMISED us that the rooms allocated were on the quite side of the hotel. All seemed well.

After taking our friends and family on a sight seeing tour around town and to Burghley House, we took them to check-in at the hotel at just after 16.00hrs, (check in is from 14.00hrs). The room was not ready. Poor to say the least. It then transpired that one of the reasons for this was that they did not know which rooms to allocate as the so-called family rooms were merely equipped with collapsible z-beds. How fancy. Once the age of the children had been ascertained, one group was allocated a room not in the hotel, but out of the front door and up the street, thus making evening child care a real challenge and NOT what was promised. In short, we were openly told an untruth by the hotel.

Having sorted out this problem, our guests retired to their rooms in different buildings, on different sides of the street whilst we went home to shower and change having arranged to meet in a quiet room downstairs for a drink before moving on to our chosen restaurant for dinner. When we arrived back we waited for our guests in the room by reception only to be told rather brusquely, that the room was being used as the restaurant that night as the main restaurant was booked for a private party. When asked where we could have a drink with small children, aged 3, 6 and above, we were told to find seats in the public bar area. This was at 17.45. I was informed by the staff that the first booking for the "restaurant" was not until 16.30. We were leaving at 16.10 to walk to our restaurant thus leaving the staff a full 20 minutes to lay at table for four. Apparently this was not long enough. They must really go to town on table decorations if twenty minutes is not long enough to set four places.

Having been shunted into the public bar we looked around for seats. The bar was very busy with post Xmas shopping drinkers, some of whom had obviously curtailed their shopping quite early and retired to the bar. And stayed there. Not exactly the most suitable environment for young children. On finding a table we ordered some drinks, some with vouchers that our friends had been given as way of an apology for the delay on check-in. A nice touch, or it would have been had it not been for the fact that this was soured by the fact that the barman refused to accept them for anything but the very cheapest lager and not wine or any other drinks. Classy.

Once seated with our second rate drinks, we couldn't actually find room for our glasses on the filthy, wet table. Empty glasses filled the table along with champagne bottles and buckets. In over twenty minutes these were not removed. No doubt due to the fact that the bar staff were too busy chatting amongst themselves to actually do the job they were being paid for.

In summary, if you want a hotel that tells you untruths, encourages small children to sit in a filthy public bar, has surly and work-shy staff and you fancy checking-in later than normal, then this is for you.

I was frankly embarrassed that this sort of service existed in my town. We usually take all our visitors to the other places in the same stable. The Exeter Arms, Tobie Norris and White Hart have missed out on a lot of trade due these shortcomings.

The Michael Thurlby I know would never treat customers so shoddily, and I hope will never do so again.

Room Tip: Top tip : Don't believe what they tell you in emails or in phone conversations, on arrival it ma...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank CraftyFox
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stamford
0.7 km away
19.1 km away
Talbot Hotel
Talbot Hotel
#1 of 1 in Oundle

Been to The Crown Hotel Stamford? Share your experiences!