“Ok if your known to the bar staff”

The Bricklayer's Arms
Ranked #408 of 545 Restaurants in Colchester
Description: Newly refurbished free house pub featuring fine real ales. A great selection of restaurant dishes served from 12pm daily. Plus, we show all major games on Sky & BT Sports.
Reviewed April 4, 2018

Having seen that the place had been taken over, myself and 2 others visited on a Friday evening after work, it was busy. I queued for at least 15 minutes before even getting close to ordering. The regulars or friends of the staff seem to get priority on service. 1 example was a group of loads entered the pub and shouted over the top and 3 other people (waiting for a drink) there registration number and 3 pints the barmaid duly did as she was told, only after the 2 people next to me kicked up a fuss we got served and gave our registration number over to be logged. 1 week later I got a £60 fine through the post as the bar staff never registered my vehicle on the system for parking, in fairness the pub are dealing with the penalty charge but who needs the hassle when your going for a drink. I also had to produce proof of purchase luckily I paid by card not cash. Unless the parking issue is not resolve I doubt I will be returning, its a shame as I have heard good things about the food there.

2  Thank dave12312
Jake S, General Manager at The Bricklayer's Arms, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2018

Hi dave12312,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us at The Bricklayers Arms, this is absolutely not the level of service nor experience we wish our guests to receive. Our decision to implement the parking eye, is to benefit our customers, and provide parking for patrons and not to serve as a local car park for local destinations, and your review highlights our need to be more attentive in communicating this. I will ensure feedback is not only shared, but acted on with our team.

I hope for the pleasure to see you again soon,

Kind Regards

Jake Smith
Manager

Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

Just received a parking fine in the post after nipping in this place for a beer. That's the last £ I spend there.

Date of visit: February 2018
Henry M, General Manager at The Bricklayer's Arms, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2018

Hello Connorjenkin,
Im sorry to here you received a parking fine while popping in for a beer.
Please feel free to pop your head in, I will be happy to help.

Reviewed April 2, 2018 via mobile

Lovely pub with great food, big portions!! Standard price, superb beers and wine, could happily stay here all afternoon!! Had nachos and chicken strips for starters and burgers for main, really yummy, can’t wait to come again!! This will be our new local from now on. Staff really friendly and welcoming

Date of visit: April 2018

Thank you for reviewing us.
We're very happy you enjoyed your visit.
We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed April 2, 2018

went for a family meal after the re opening ,very good decorating ,nice atmosphere .
Meal very good ,but small choice for vegetarians.

Thanks for your review,
We have just put some more vegetarian options on our new menu.
Some of which are, Halloumi starter, Humous and pitta, and a Halloumi and Portobello Mushroom burger.
We hope to see you again.

Reviewed March 25, 2018 via mobile

This used to be a proper boozer. I don't know what has happened here?
The bearded fella (Manager??) is outright rude & not interested in customers but his own crowd instead. I enquired about food and was basically told to eat somewhere else. My partner asked about wine and the reply was "red, white and rose, take your pick" Really ?? Some lessons in customer service or maybe bring back the old landlord the latter seems more appropriate.

I certainly won't be returning anytime soon.

3  Thank Terrycrosby