1,390 results
All reviews railway station travelling by train buffet style night porter central location bit dated evening meal one night stay twin room following morning town centre full english ballroom castle rear scotland
Reviewed September 17, 2018

The staff is amazing, but the hotel needs some repair and investment. But even though has its charm. The location is extremely convenient, just a few steps from the train station - from where you get to London within 3 hours via Virgin trains. The room was big and bed super comfortable. I stayed for one night and was good for my purposes.
They have a parking lot on the back of the building.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
Jeff H, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear AlesPedro

Thanks for the review I will pass on your comments to the Team

Reviewed September 12, 2018

Our original plan was to travel here by train but Northern put pay to that idea. This hotel is so convenient for all the things to do in Carlisle and should you travel by rail then it is right outside the station. The staff are friendly and attentive.
Breakfast was very good and hot unlike many serve yourself breakfasts I have had in the past.
May need a little investment but surely some of that I would call Character.
I've stopped in many a chain hotel and you could be anywhere in the world.
We both had an excellent nights sleep.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear BarnsleyBarnsleyboy

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. I was delighted to read that you would recommend us following your business trip.

Do get in contact with me if you a regular visitor to Carlisle where we can arrange a Corporate Rate for you.

Reviewed September 10, 2018 via mobile

This hotel is a bit of a curate's egg, the good parts are the very helpful and polite staff and the downstairs public areas, these elements of the property have obviously benefited from some investment are generally of good order and feel welcoming, the bad parts are the bedrooms where there is an obvious need for investment as they are looking in a pretty tired state (I can only base my review on the three bedrooms I looked at). I don't think I will be returning to this hotel on future visits to Carlisle until the rooms are upgraded which is a shame because its in a very handy location and as I stated earlier all the staff I spoke to were very professional, friendly and helpful. I truly hope to be able to read future reviews stating that the rooms have all been brought up to a high standard.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family

Dear Colin H

Thank you for your feedback, I am sorry to hear your stay was not up to our usual standard. I am shocked to hear of issues in your room and will certainly inform our maintenance team to resolve these issues.

Thanks for the kind words about the team Members

Reviewed September 10, 2018

There are only two good points about this hotel - the staff are friendly and helpful, and the bed linen is clean. The hotel itself is shabby, dark and tatty. The rooms are large, but shabby and the furniture is old and battered, and the walls painted bilious green. My double bed was in fact two singles pushed together but made up separately, so I ended up sleeping in a single bed. The bathroom was old, tatty with a static showerhead at one end of a 1970s bath, but no hand rails to help get in and out of the bath. There was a wonderfully well lit mirror in the bathroom - but no shelf anywhere to put toiletries or makeup.

I was very concerned at the lack of security - access is to the hotel is up some unlit stone steps in a very dark porch area, through one sliding glass door and then another which gives onto the bar area. Reception is further back and out of sightline of the doors. Unfortunately, access to the bedrooms, via lift or stairs, is in the area between the doors, so anyone could enter from the street and access the bedroom floors without hotel staff seeing them. Added to fact that bedroom doors have neither security chains nor peepholes, this is not a secure hotel, particularly for solo women travellers. Returning from dinner with friends after midnight, I was surprised to find both sliding doors opened without anyone checking I was a resident - and I had to push my way past the two drunks sitting on the steps to gain access to the hotel.

The main problem was the noise - there is an alley at the back of the hotel with pubs and clubs, which play loud thumping music until 4 or 5 in the morning. Drunks from these establishments shout, fight, relieve themselves and lord knows what else in the alley right behind the hotel, so the noise is continual and prevents any kind of sleep. the earplugs offered by the hotel didnt help much because of the thumping of the music. The hotel's corridors have wooden doors at intervals, which thud closed so the music was punctuated with thudding closing doors, people shouting, and someone on the third floor shouting out into the alley whilst throwing (what I next morning found out to be) empty coke cans into the alley.

breakfast was basic help yourself buffet, with no veggie options - but the chef did do three perfectly poached eggs for me in lieu of veggie breakfast. The dining room was again tatty, shabby with old dark pub style decor. Other residents appeared to be groups of men of the shorts/sandals/footballshirt ilk, most obviously suffering the effects of the night before - and indeed one was still staggering glassy eyed to and from the breakfast buffet.

If I'd paid £40-50 to stay in a grotty B&B, fair enough - but this cost nearly £100 B&B, so I expected much better! I'd planned a leisurely breakfast and morning with the papers and crossword in what I'd assumed would be a comfortable hotel lounge, but I couldnt get out quick enough!

Having spent the previous night in a Premier Inn in central Glasgow for considerably less than I paid here, for a much more appealing room and better breakfast with their money back guarantee if you dont get a good nights sleep, I did complain at reception. Was told I would get a feedback form emailed to me, but so far its not arrived.

I definitely will not stay at this hotel again! Or any other Hallmark hotel!

Room Tip: Dont stay here! But if you must, insist on a room at the front
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business

Dear PamSwain

Can I apologise for the issues you encountered during your stay and express how disappointed I am to hear it was not up to our usual standards If you would like to discuss this any further, then please contact me on jeff.hodgson@hallmarkhotels.co.uk

Reviewed September 10, 2018

Booked on Booking.com. Very efficient and friendly staff. Parts of decor in need of redecorating (Doors in particular). Meal good though side order did not appear and was removed from bill.Would recommend if can get a discount, rack rate double what I paid.

Room Tip: Plug sockets on far side of room from bed. Able to get extension cable from reception for my CPAP machine.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business

Dear Greg W

Thank you for reviewing your stay on tripadvisor and I was pleased to read your comments about your stay at our hotel and about our team.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope that we'll have the opportunity to welcome you again soon.