All reviewswedding venuestone spiral staircasesunken bathbeautiful hotelwedding breakfastthe rib eye steakon arrivallovely old buildingfour poster bedstaff attentivebridal suiteevening mealsuperior roombed was very comfortablechecking outfriendly hotellamb
Reviewed May 14, 2018

The experience of staying at the Dalston Hall Hotel made me think again about what I want from a hotel, and I suppose the answer is (a) a good night's sleep (b) a decent breakfast and (c) authenticity. So I'll happily give 5 stars to a service station motel if it's clean, warm, comfy and staffed by pleasant workers. All I ask is that it does what it says on the tin.

Dalston Hall is a fine old building in wonderful nick, with gorgeous grounds manicured to the last blade of grass. And it is furnished in the worst possible taste. The old master style "paintings" are so litho-print fake it's laughable, and the dreadful modern chandeliers are a blot on the eye. My bedroom was comfy enough, but I'm sorry, a mirror behind the bed and a hideous teddy awaiting me on the pillow? No no no no no....

Breakfast was nice - well cooked and good quality - but being asked to pay a supplement for smoked salmon and scrambled eggs rankled.

Put this way - I wouldn't hurry back.

Stayed: May 2018
1  Thank MIssDillie
Reviewed April 1, 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for a stop over as my partner and I went to Carlisle races. As we pulled in to the car park we were both really impressed with the grandeur of this old hall. We checked in early with no problems and we were showed to our room. The hotel is really old and is decorated accordingly with period furniture( not usually my style but liked it !) Lots of old portraits on the walls , the kind that have eyes that follow you! Our room was very spacious with a lovely four poster bed that did not over power the room. The en-suite was old and was in need of a little TLC .We ate at the hotel and it was absolutely sublime starters, main and pudding all amazing. Mathew , the young gentleman who took care of us was charming and very attentive. Breakfast next morning was equally as good as evening meal. Beautiful venue for a wedding. We would definitely stay there again if up in that area.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lisa b
Reviewed March 30, 2018 via mobile

Impressive hotel which surprised me because of the price, very competitive and in line with the offered service. The barman was charming and thoughtful. This manners and attitud are very hard to find these days. For me it was like if I was transferred to an ancient time... the experience was wonderful. The only BUT would be that the toilet was a little bit old.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed February 18, 2018

This is a stunning wedding venue, the decor, atmosphere and ambiance are terrific, the room used for the weeding and then mean and then disco is flexible. bar is good and as a wedding and evening place - superb. Rooms comfortable and all a little different again terrific - Then the disappointing bit. Its just a buffet breakfast on a Sunday - yet hotel all 13 rooms filled. Not enough chairs to sit all guests at the same time but with just a 1 hour window for breakfast it was a bit crowded when it didn't have to be. No fresh fruit, no yogurts, no fired eggs - its a Sunday buffet and we don't do those. Marmalade quickly ran out, the two pots of coffee didn't last and the bread ran out for the toaster. Its such a shame that a fantastic venue is spoiled by either not being ready for a post wedding breakfast or just not giving enough though to what was required. the one guy on duty was doing everything from clearing, filling and also reception and checking out. It may have been a blip but it has reduced my score from 5+ for wedding venue to a sloppy 3 for breakfast - 4 stars overall is the best I can offer

Room Tip: All 13 rooms appear to be excellent with Room 1 the best !
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed January 16, 2018

We booked dinner for a party of 8 guests for a family celebration and four of us stayed the night. The staff were efficient, attentive and friendly without being in your face. The building is full of character and full of history (ask for the informative and interesting historic write up). Our bedroom was tastefully furnished, in keeping with the building but with appropriate modern twists. The bathroom was very well appointed. Both were extremely clean.

Dinner was faultless in terms of presentation, size of portions and timing. The menu looked quite ordinary and the prices reasonable but the quality and presentation of the food exceeded all expectations. All the dishes were well presented and very tasty. Also note that the vegetarian option was the best vegetarian meal that I have had for a long time (and I have been vegetarian for 30 years). It was just as carefully planned and presented as the other meals and was delicious. Thank you chef, you made my day!

Breakfast was equally well cooked and presented and delicious.

I would recommend this hotel and recommend the restaurant both for meat eaters and for vegetarians who want a special meal.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family