All reviews drawing room queen victoria steeped in history grade listed building cheese selection roll top bath nice swimming pool historical building small gym for pre dinner drinks short walk to seafront hotel offer quaint hotel good sized en suite family room old fashioned lovely old building
Reviewed August 17, 2018

I like Sidmouth and have stayed in different hotels over the years, including some of the 4-star ones on the promenade, but this time I decided to book a room at The Royal Glen and I'm glad I did.

The Royal Glen harks back to an era when good manners, courteous service and fine food used to be the norm. From the outside, the hotel looks beautiful and inside the fabric and furnishings confirm the impression that you will be staying at somewhere special.

The Drawing Room on the first floor is elegant and quiet, with French doors opening on to a beautifully tended garden with sea views. I spent an hour there after my long drive to Devon and I soon felt refreshed. My bedroom (with en suite) was clean and nicely furnished too, a major bonus (for single guests) being that it was big enough to have side tables either side of the bed - no squeezing past a bed wedged up against the wall! The proprietors told me when I was checking out that every room is different, something that appeals to me after staying at too many hotels where rooms are identical.

But the highlight of my stay was the restaurant where I enjoyed breakfasts of the highest quality. Lilian, Jana and Kian served me with with courtesy and smiles each morning - all three were professionals of the highest order. They engaged in conversation, made eye contact and worked hard to ensure that I had exactly what I wanted. The bacon, choice of eggs, sautéed mushrooms, sausage, and tomato that I selected were served piping hot. The bacon was crisp and had real flavour. I don't think I have tasted better - not even when I stayed at a 4-star and paid four times more for B&B! When the pot of tea was brought to the table, that too was boiling hot. I know I shouldn't be surprised but so often these days hotel managers seem to think they can take your money and then serve up flabby bacon and tepid tea. It doesn't work like that at The Royal Glen!

The hotel is situated about 100m from the beach and is therefore quieter than those on the seafront. Hotel parking is easy and, unlike on the front, my car wasn't pestered by seagulls anxious to leave their mark on my bonnet. A small point but an important one!

The hotel serves dinner and from what I heard from fellow guests the standard is high. This does not surprise me. I ate out with Sidmouth friends but next time I stay I will definitely book a table for dinner.

I have mentioned the lovely gardens and so I feel I ought to mention Michael, one of the gardeners who visits each week to make sure everything looks at its best. The high standards of service inside the hotel have rubbed off on Michael. He too smiles as he works and I noticed he even finds time to offer a few horticultural tips to guests who are sitting in the sun.

But that's The Royal Glen for you. Other hotels might have forgotten the value of service and good food, but not here. Proprietors, gardeners and waiting staff are all equally committed to making guests feel at home.

I loved it - and I'll be back!

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed August 14, 2018

This hotel is a great find. It is beautiful with character, where you can relax whether the weather is glorious or not. It has lovely public rooms where you can quietly read in the lounge or be served in their great bar, both with views of the sea. The staff without exception are lovely and extremely attentive. The indoor pool is of course a hit with our weather. Despite the weather not being great when we stayed and having the idea of a beach holiday when we booked, we did not regret going as we came away extremely relaxed having enjoyed the hotel and the beautiful countryside around.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Hilary C, Owner at Royal Glen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2018

Thank you for making a review. We are pleased you went away relaxed and rejuvenated and enjoyed our beautiful countryside. We look forward to welcoming you again one day.

Reviewed August 14, 2018

Another excellent stay at the Royal Glen which remains very comfortable and immaculately clean.The staff are always very friendly,professional and helpful and this year the young staff in particular were all exceptionally charming aand efficient.Breakfast service was very good with hot food,cooked as requested,perfect poached eggs.
It was nice to spend time in the hotel during the day for the poetry workshops- I haven't really had time to appreciate the sitting room in previous stays. We have booked again for next year.

Room Tip: Some rooms are trickier to access than others because of steps etc.-check this on booking. The Princess Room is very comfortable.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Hilary C, Manager at Royal Glen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2018

Thank you for making a review. We are so glad you enjoyed the poetry workshop; it was a pleasure to be involved in the festival a bit more as we are a bit out on a limb although its a quiet spot to come back to after the busy activities of the festival day. We look forward to seeing you again next year.

Reviewed July 29, 2018

An attractive and interesting hotel front, warm, traditional entrance and hall, good start to an evening. We were here for a family celebration and arrived early for dinner so went into the bar for a drink. The barman greeted well and was friendly and conversational. Later shown through into a charming dining room, nicely spaced and laid out, the group of us were seated around one long table set slightly off the main room so still retained the atmosphere of the dining room. The menu was small but with sufficient choice - my partner and I were on fish for starter and hake for main and were very pleased, we did notice that those who had chicken were not so happy as it seemed to be dry. Veg were good and plentiful, they replenished without being asked. My dessert was a lovely coffee ice cream served in brandy snap basket which was probably the best. Individual tastes. All in all, they managed to serve 13 people with hot food which they enjoyed plus wine and smiled constantly, full credit.

Room Tip: Did not stay
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Averil N
Reviewed July 28, 2018

We stayed for three nights and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The staff were very helpful and pleasant. Our room was good with a large comfortable bed although the ensuite shower room was cramped. There was a good wardrobe and storage space in the room.
The hotel is a grade 1 listed building with an interesting history and the decor is antique in style and might not be to everyone's taste. Our room was furnished with antique furniture and was a little dark. The drawing room was a lovely room and we enjoyed spending time there. The dining room was well organised and the staff were efficient. We enjoyed a good evening meal. There were lots of spaces around the hotel to sit and relax and enjoy the atmosphere of a hotel from another age. We used the indoor pool which was well maintained but were disappointed with the gym equipment which is run down and in need of some investment. The hotel is nicely located in a quiet valley only 2 minutes walk from the sea-front. Overall we can thoroughly recommend the hotel as a haven of peace and quiet.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple