“wonderful wrea head”

Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
buxton
“wonderful wrea head”
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Having just returned from a 3 day stay at this hotel I really cannot understand the previous review! (jstewart79) We had booked 7 rooms and all of us had a superb stay at this lovely place. The staff were welcoming , the food incredible with great care taken in preparation and presentation by the excellent young chef.The bar was being decorated but we had no difficulty whatsoever in having our drinks served to us. The new owner was most hospitable and explained his exciting ideas for theis lovely unique building. The comment about the removal vans was rather unneccessary as how was the new owner supposed to move in? We all enjoyed our stay so much that we have booked again and I would really recommend this hotel to anyone who enjoys a stay in a lovely old building set within its own beautiful grounds.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank BuxtonMaria

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
Bedworth
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Back home from a superb stay at Wrea Head Hotel.
Slightly concerned to hear that it had just been bought out of administration but fears totally unfounded.
The new owners are making changes but they are all very sympathetic and complementary to the already high standards of the hotel.
Anne remains the cornerstone of the hotel, she really is everywhere and is always on hand to ensure guests have a great stay.
The new menus offer guests brilliant choices to experience superb food at great prices.
Wonderful hotel in beautiful surroundings.

3 Thank robbedworth
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I booked this hotel on the basis of previous comments on Tripadvisor.
However our own experience was a far cry away from the positive comments from other guests.
we were surprised on arrival to see removal trucks outside the hotel and the receptionist told us the hotel has been in administration and just bought by 2 people and this was the transition of the new owners moving in.
The outside of the hotel is quite impressive and the downstairs rooms too. However the room we were shown to was a bit of a let down. Our room was very Chintzy with an over use of floral patterns! The windows didn't fully shut as they were old. One of the plug sockets didn't work, the TV didn't work. We asked reception (Nicky) to fix the tv while we were out which she agreed to do. On our return to the room a good 5 hours later the tv still wasnt working so I had to ask reception to send someone up. Thankfully someone arrived promptly and swapped the TV but it still didn't work. Apparently there was a fuse box in the room and the TV was tripping the fuse! I made a comment about the electrics and I was told they are being looked at!
We didnt eat at the hotel as the prices seem a tad expensive, £15 each for breakfast is quite steep, especially when there is a lovely cafe by North shore beach, which does a breakfast and coffee for £6!
When we checked out I was presented with the bill which included accomodation and drinks. I quizzed Nicky the head receptionist as I had already paid for the room via Lastminute.com so I should only pay for drinks. I have used Lastminute.com numerous times and the accommodation payment is ALWAYS paid for up front! However Nicky (head receptionist) told me that the room was only reserved and I had to pay for the accommodation. thinking that Lastminute.com may have changed their booking conditions, I obliged and paid for the room and drinks but felt a bit uneasy about it.
When we returned home i had a missed call from the hotel and a bank statement on the door mat. I checked the statement first and low and behold I had been charged by Lastminute.com for the accomodation. When I called the hotel and spoke to Nicky (head receptionist don't forget!) I asked her why had I been charged twice EVEN when I had queried the final bill on check out. all she could say that it was a human error and that my card has been refunded.
It was just my wife and myself when we checked out so it wasn't busy, my wife and myself queried the payment with Nicky and now I have to wait 4-5 days to get my own money back in my account!
The hotel and staff seriously need to up their game and provide better customer service and be in control of their normal day to day operations if they want a better review. This hotel operates in a saturated market for accommodation in the area and didn't deliver with service or satisfaction in this particular case.
I just hope the new owners take these comments and use them to pro actively make improvements with their staff training in the future! Oh and tone down the chintzy rooms!

4 Thank jstewart79
GADirector, General Manager at Wrea Head Hall, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear JStewart79

Thank you for taking the time to write comments regarding your stay at Wrea Head Hall. Your feed back is valuable to us and helps us to maintain standards.

Obviously I am disappointed to read you thought the service “a far cry from other guests positive reviews”. It is rare that our guests do not enjoy the hospitality we offer and am saddened you felt we did not deliver our normal high standards to meet your expectations.

I would, however like to respond to a couple of your comments – I can assure you that your presence or that of any other guest would certainly not be an inconvenience to us. We have many guests who return sometimes 2- 3 times a year because they know how the team at Wrea Head Hall strive to give the best service possible.

Your arrival coincided with the new owners moving into the Hall, and they chose the day because it was one of the quietest that week. A notice of apology and to be aware was displayed on the day. How else could they transport their worldly goods without a removal van!
During your stay there was also a minor refurbishment in the bar, so we transferred the “ bar” to the lounge/library which seemed to work for most of our guests. We felt ourselves there was minimal disruption as we also have a large hall with an open log fire for guests to sit in quietly. Our other guests responded positively to the changes being made.

The hall was built in 1881 and naturally has some “quirky” rooms with very old windows! Décor is a matter of taste and preference, we have a range of standard, superior and deluxe rooms, from chintzy to contemporary. I am sure if you had mentioned you were unhappy with the room we would have done our utmost to find you a suitable alternative.

It was unfortunate regarding your T.V. I can only think that Linda (and not Nicky) got distracted and forgot to pass your comment to the relevant department. You mention Nicky the head receptionist quite a few times but Nicky was actually off during the time of your stay, however she did call you at your home after she discovered the overcharge on your bill, and apologised for the error. Nicky said she had made an immediate credit on your debit card and I am confident that she dealt with this in a very professional manner.

I think it is reasonable in most walks of life that errors do occur from time to time for which we can only apologise . As soon as this billing error was noted by us we actually contacted you as you acknowledge, even before your bank statement had arrived.

In conclusion I am surprised that you suggest the hotel staff have to seriously “ up their game” to provide better customer service. You only have to look at the majority of reviews on this site to see we are rated Number 2 hotel in Scarborough with a 93% score suggesting that our customers are of paramount importance and we endeavour to maintain service to ensure they enjoy their stay at Wrea Head Hall.

Yours sincerely
Anne Hodgson – General Manger
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2012

just got back from a great relaxing break at wrea head hotel it was just what we needed good food very comfy bedrooms spotlessly clean quiet surroundings but very beautiful scenery would reccomend to anyone

2 Thank 1911everard
Bideford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2012

A few days away in a country house hotel should be a relaxing experience. Not so, when the hotel is being renovated around you, and you start to feel as though your presence were an inconvenience! We arrived and were shown to our room but there was no information about the hotel, it's facilities, meal times, etc. or about the area, which you would normally expect. We enquired about this and were told that all the hotel information had been recently removed due to updating, but were still not provided with anything useful. The wifi, which is still being advertised as available, wasn't working - we were told that this was a temporary glitch due to upgrading of the computer system, but no apology for the inconvenience that this might cause.
We awoke on our first morning to find that the bar room had been closed off and was being stripped prior to decorating - this was ongoing throughout our stay, with no apology or explanation.
We awoke on our second morning to find the breakfast buffet had disappeared, with requests for juice, fruit, cereal, tea, coffee, toast etc. as well as the cooked breakfasts, all having to be made through the waiter, who was patiently trying to serve several tables at the same time.
On the third evening, the formal dining room had been taken out of use, with evening meals being served in the breakfast room, again, with neither explanation nor apology. On two occasions we requested bar meals instead of formal dining, but were told bar meals were not being served. This information was subsequently contradicted by a different member of staff when we came to settle our bill, who said that bar meals had been available. Again, no apology.
In all, the lack of information and the fact that the hotel was obviously undergoing some form of renovation / redecoration whilst we were there, was unacceptable. The evening meal we did have, was delicious, as was the breakfast, but a rock hard matress on our bed and the amplification of conversation from the central lobby and lounge (transferred from the bar which was not in use!) meant sleep was nigh on impossible.
We have heard that the hotel has a new owner; if this is so, we sincerely hope he takes note of critisism and will very quickly start to put guest's comfort above all else.

3 Thank Kathy D
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2012

just a quick note to inform you that this hotel is well worth visiting beautiful surroundings excellent food ,clean and very welcoming, the hostess is a freindly lady credit due .will re visit for that relaxing welcoming break in the near future .thanks again bob and hazel [chesterfield]

Room Tip: i believe from other quests that all the rooms are of the same quality.excellent.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2012

I was a bit disappointed with the hotel after reading all of the reviews. On arrival, we were not given any information about breakfast or dinner or any other info! We were shown to our room where a comment was made by the staff member about the temperature (room was v cold). There was no information about the hotel in the room and the phone didn't work, so we had to walk back down to reception an hour later to ask about dinner and to ask about the heating. This was not resolved until an hour later though a request for the pa system under our room to be turned off was met. Different staff members gave different answers to the same questions, which was confusing. Dinner was very nice, as was sitting by the log fire to warm up.

The wifi was also not working which was disappointing and again we had to ask about it rather than being informed on arrival.

The room was comfortable and clean, though the bathroom needed some more attention, both with cleaning and updating and generally there were little things that let the room down. The view from our room was of the car park, rather than the lovely gardens.

The hotel has potential to be really really nice but a lot of little things need to be sorted out first.

Room Tip: Ask to not be in a room at the front of the house!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
4.9 km away
Weston Hotel
#2 of 28 in Scarborough
4.2 km away
Hackness Grange Country House Hotel

Been to Wrea Head Hall? Share your experiences!