“Dissapointed”

Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Dissapointed”
Reviewed 18 February 2012

my husband and I stayed at this hotel for 1 night, The downstairs looked very nice as it has had a refurbishment, our room was on the second floor as we went up the stairs I started to have a bad feeling about this hotel as the carpet on the stairs and landing was thread bear, paintwork dirty and neglected. Room was very spacious, bedding and towels clean but very dated,old brown furniture, carpet was dirty. We may have had a good deal but standards should be maintained. Come on owners of Chequres would you stay in one of your rooms ? I doubt it. Breakfast was in heated dishes to help yourself, which did not look very appetising and was cold, so no did not enjoy our stay at all.

Room Tip: Our room was at the back looking over garden was very quiet
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Wolverhampton
Reviewed 13 February 2012

My husband and I have just returned from an overnight stay at Chequers in Newbury. I feel I must defend this hotel a little as some of its previous reviews seem unnecessarily negative e.g. 'worst hotel I have stayed in' and 'rather sleep in the car'. We had a comfortable stay with a well sized double room. The location of the hotel is ideal for visiting Newbury and the exterior of the hotel and the reception areas are well presented. Admittedly, the hotel could do with a coat of paint and an update to its furnishings but this wouldn't stop me staying here again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KJ30
Hitchin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2012

This was the worst hotel I've stayed in for several years - and I spend around 40 nights a year in hotels. It was a last minute booking and I only booked this as there was nowhere else with available rooms and it had such dreadful reviews. I stayed in a room at the front on the second floor - the musty stench hit me on the first floor and got worse till I got to my room. In my room they had tried to cover up the stench with air freshener with the result that the room had that horrible sickly smell you get in some taxis. The room itself looked like it had not been decorated since the king died, quite literally. The paint had peeled off and there were black soot rings on the paper around the lights - the one redeeming feature was a modern flat screen TV.

After paying almost £8 for a double gin and tonic I went to bed and spent an hour listening to my neighbours' conversation through walls thinner than a wafer-thin mint, finally getting to sleep around 1 only to be woken early by the heavy main road traffic. Frustrated, I tried to go out for a cigarette to find every door locked and had to find the night porter even to get out of the place.

It was last minute and I wasn't expecting much because of the other reviews but it was more dire than I could possibly have imagined considering the room was not far off £100. The only two things I can say something positive about are the freshly cooked breakfast which was a very pleasant change from the usual lukewarm tureen of cremated bacon and the staff who are pleasant in an embarrassed way.

Room Tip: Stay away from the two upper floors in the main hotel - the stench will make you want to heave.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Chris P

Travellers are raving about these Newbury hotels

California
Reviewed 21 January 2012

stayed here briefly. A little bit shabby but I guess a little "charming". Somewhat noisy and we were driving and parking was not well marked. I had a mid-afternoon meeting with a colleague at the hotel and the staff seemed quite pained to get us a pot of tea. We ordered a second pot (for three of us) and the charge was about 20 pounds, which seemed exorbitant for such unwilling service. One bright spot- the main street is a quick walk, with charming shops.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Blackwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2011

stayed here for 2 days from 13th to 15th December 2011, the room i stayed in was comfortable but somewhat dated, my room overlooked the main road and you could hear the traffic noise at all times of the day and night, there was little or no hot water running in the bathroom during the morning and the shower ran to a trickle, however i will say the room was comfortable the breakfast excellent and the location central to everything. As the stay was with friends i think this helped with some of the hotels shortcomings but overall a nice stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main road
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank iantesstom
Sunderland, UK
Reviewed 14 December 2011

I stayed here in November 2011 since it was close to a work event. The hotel rooms had a 1970 look and smell to it and the windows/walls had paint scraped off. The rooms were that bad I was suprised to find the TV remote was cordless (BONUS!).

We had to do an adventure trail to find the room, up a spiral stair case and Indiana Jones it across numerous walkways.

The parking is one of the highlights, since you turn intoi a private cark park and the staff are actually really nice. The night reception guy also pulls the pints and reminded me of the old guy who protected the wall in the movie 'Stardust'.

Room Tip: Inform them your from a government body checking the rooms.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank DeeJayCeeUK
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2011

We arrived on Saturday 3rd Dec 2011 for one night and this turned into Nightmare on Oxford Street
There was a function going on in the hotel into the early hours which kept us awake until the early hours.
I called reception and the answer they came up with was to offer us another room?
There was also a dripping tap in the bathroom which was so loud we could still here it with the door closed.
The shower in the bathroom was non existent as you need to try and balance the hot and cold taps but this does not work well as the plumbing is antiquated to say the least (as I am a plumber I do know what I am talking about).
The decoration is from another era long forgotten.
The food that was offered for breakfast would have been refused by even the most hungry dog, let alone humans.
I would rather be outside all night in the cold than stay in this hell hole again

Room Tip: stay elsewhere
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple