“The Towel Rail” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Newbury
London, United Kingdom
“The Towel Rail”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

My only criticism of an otherwise perfect stay at the Donington would be the towel rail not working. Cant understand why when you mention it to the staff that they seem lost for words or they dont have the maintenance man on speed dial. We are the paying customer/ their clients .........in Singapore had i made that remark and nothing had happened then the duty manager would be taken outside and shot.
As for the rest of the stay it was very very good. The food excellent , the Spa lovely and had the mental bridezilla types not been there it would have been heaven.
The Coronation Street type waitress was added value .....i kept thinking that she should have been serving in Subway or the local Hospital. Bless her

Room Tip: always ask in advance does the towel rail work.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jonspeyer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Polish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

This hotel can't cater for Coeliacs, beware! Arrogant service in their restaurant and very poor choice for Coeliacs.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

This was our second visit to this Hotel which we first visited about 18 months ago. This time we stayed for four nights with our son (on the sofa bed) in an executive double. The rooms are spacious, well furnished and comfortable with very good bathrooms. Staff are generally very friendly and helpful although it can sometimes be a little difficult to get service in the lounge bar. Breakfasts are excellent with a very good choice of cooked foods including really creamy scrambled eggs on the hot buffet (how do they do that?). Dinner is competent to good although I think they need to change their table d'hote menu (Market Menu as they call it) more frequently - we ate dinner on three nights as part of our rate and as it hardly changed I was beginning to run out of choices by the third night - admittedly I could have chosen from the a la carte at a supplement. The wine list is exceptional and we thoroughly enjoyed the recommended wine we drank with our meals. The real jewel in the crown of this hotel is the Spa with a very good size pool, large sauna, steam and aroma rooms, excellent gym and treatment rooms. In the summer there are also good size terraces with loungers where you can soak up the sun. There is also a great pool side service of drinks and snacks. If you want a round of golf there is an excellent golf course with pro shop and all the usual stuff. All in all this makes a great destination for a mini break or holiday. Newbury is close by for a bit of retail or the race course. I would also recommend The Crab at Chievley if you want to dine out one night - it is a short drive away and a first rate seafood restaurant.

Room Tip: Executive rooms are in the newer part of the hotel and, for a little extra, seemed to us to offer th...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank kathyinsurrey
DVH-GM, General Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Dear kathyinsurrey

Thank you for your very comprehensive review following your 4 night break with us over the half term period. It was a pleasure to welcome you back to Donnington once again. We are indeed fortunate to have such a wonderful Spa and we have just upgraded one of our rooms to a double treatment room and to celebrate we have introduced a new spa break for spring “Love Spa”

Your comments regarding menu change have been duly noted and this should have been anticipated during your stay with us so my sincere apologies that you felt options were limited at dinner towards the end of your stay. Unfortunately Mark our breakfast chef keeps his scrambled egg recipe a closely guarded secret but happy to send you the method!

Thanks again for your comments, hopefully see you soon.

Very best wishes,

Anthony

anthonycox@donningtonvalley.co.uk
Thatcham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

My Husband and I went on a last minute break to Donnington Valley Hotel.
The Deal was excerlent - Bed, breakfast and evening meal including a wine selection with your meal and a night cap for £150

Check in was easy - really friendly team, and the hotel itself is very clean and presentable.

If your looking for a hotel to stay at this is A VERY GOOD CHOICE.

The rooms are spacious and clean.

The Bar staff are extremely good at their job, effiecinet and friendly!

My first compaint would be the food. Now I have eaten here before and the food was superb, but for some reason last night my main meal was lacking in flavour.
Though funny enough (and we didnlt have the same meal) the table next to me had too much flavour in their risotto!

My second complaint would be our package was meant to include a selection of fine ones to compliment our meal - we did not receive these. Though I will say once I mentioned this to the waiter they soon removed our wine from the bill. Yhough it would have been nice to have tasted wines to compliment our food!

I woudl give this hotel a second chance thought - and thought I got value for money!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Jane M

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review following your last minute break with us recently. First and foremost apologies that the elements of you package were not correctly communicated to the team.

Despite your disappointment with your main course at Dinner thank you for scoring us excellent in every other aspect of your stay and I will be in touch to arrange that future visit.

Very best wishes,

Anthony

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

After booking the hotel at very short notice, everything was sorted quickly. The room was spotless, the bath leaked very slightly but not something that affected us. The food we had was beautiful accompanied by very friendly restaurant staff, nothing was too much to ask them. The spa staff were also very friendly. The only let down for me were the reception staff. They made me feel like I was interrupting their day, and seemed like they did not have a brain in them. However on saying that, the woman I spoke to when leaving was very friendly.
All in all it was a really nice stay and I would not hesitate to go again.

• Stayed February 2012
Dear GatezUK

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I was delighted to learn that you had a good all around stay and you rated cleanliness excellent and our food beautiful. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon; please do not hesitate to contact me directly so I may arrange this for you personally.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

This hotel is part of a chain with the Vineyard, a 5* hotel in the Newbury area. They're happy to direct you there if they are full.

As its a good hotel and close to Vodafone Headquarters, it is often full during the week with employees and contractors. While I love the hotel facilities I find the busyness a bit off putting, I therefore go to Regency Park in Thatcham more often. For great hotels you only really have a choice of this hotel or Regency Park, unless you want to pay a small fortune at the Vineyard. Avoid both Hiltons in the area unless you are hungry for points - they are worst Hiltons I've stayed in.

Back to the review of this hotel. The decor is the best in Newbury, the service is fine, the rooms are perfect. The pool and gym are built well and I particularly like the pool design and dimmed lights. There is a jacuzzi and sauna available. Overall good value for money and there are often discounts for large companies.

In terms of location, decor and service I am sure this hotel is the best out of the 4 star hotels. The peace, slightly bigger rooms and larger pool makes me lean towards Regency Park Hotel. However do note that Regency is in Thatcham which is about a 10 minute taxi to Newbury in normal traffic.

If you are in to golf, you need to come here as the golf course is next door.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Dear greyster

Thank you very much for your very comprehensive review that I am sure will help travellers who don’t know Newbury well. As a regular visitor to the area I do hope I have the opportunity to meet you when next in the hotel to thank you personally for sharing your views.

Thanks again for your feedback.

mansfield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

Just got back after a great weekend at Donnington Valley what can I say.... First class!!! We got married a the 5 star Vineyard (the sister hotel of Donnington Valley) a couple of years ago and we where not dissapointed by this cracking 4 star. The only thing that puzzled me was why it is not a 5 star.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear tealys

Thank you very much for your feedback – it really is greatly appreciated. Delighted that you had a “first class” time! Do contact me directly so I may help with any booking here or at The Vineyard Stockcross in the future,

anthonycox@donnigntonvalley.co.uk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newbury
3.2 km away
Hare and Hounds Hotel
#1 of 16 in Newbury
2.8 km away
Doubletree by Hilton Newbury North

Been to Donnington Valley Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!