“Fantastic!”

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Newbury
north harrow
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Had a one night golf & spa break as a taster for a further stay in June for our son's forthcoming wedding. All four of us had a fantastic time - everything about this hotel is lovely. The staff are so pleasant and go out of their way to be helpful. So much so that we were upgraded to executive rooms on arrival as our rooms wern't ready. The staff member responsible for this (can't remember her name - sorry! but she was wearing a "head" badge!!) couldn't do enough for us - a valued member of your team! Relaxing and comfortable and can't wait for our return visit.
Cannot recommend highly enough the spa/golf breaks - great value for money.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
DVH-HM, Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Dear lynne w,
I am so happy to hear that my team looked after you so well and certainly look forward to seeing you again for the next big day! Thank you for all your comments, these have been passed on to the team here at Donnington.
Best wishes
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Polish first
Berkshire, UK
Reviewed 10 April 2012

The Hotel was every bit of its 4 star rating, good rooms and excellent on-suite. Spa adequate if a little soul less, maybe some background music. Food good on set menu, wine expenive.
Staff friendly and helpful.
Golf course in good condition, 2 holes are boardering on dangerous with driving cross-over, especially 16/17

Room Tip: Room near Spa saves walking
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Englefield Green, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Came here for a small business conference. Nice rooms, decent service, but sadly let down by the food which was less than ordinary. Buffet lunches were bland, a la carte dinner medicore and desserts were left uneaten by all our group.
(A mix up over the invoicing didn't help lift ratings). On the plus side - gym was good (I am told by colleagues who are clearly fitter than me!)

Room Tip: Eat at the Donnington's sister hotel (the Vineyard) - fantastic food there!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
DVH-HM, Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Dear rubikon,
I am so sorry to hear that our food let us down, we generally receive very good comments about our food and are proud of our two rosette restaurant so I apologise that we did not meet your expectations. I am however pleased that our sister hotel The Vineyard impressed so much and I completely agree that their food is fantastic, I have managed to sneek in for the odd meal there myself!
I hope you will give us another try in the future but thank you for taking the time to feedback.
Kind regards,
Reviewed 7 April 2012

We stayed overnight for a birthday treat in this lovely, friendly hotel/ spa, all staff were warm and welcoming, room was very clean and considering we only had the standard rating room, it was nice and plush! Spa facilities were lovely, very clean and again staff were lovely, you can even have a cheeky glass if bubbly beside the pool, waiter service, bliss! We ate our evening meal in the hotel and food was very nice, the only negative was we felt a little rushed, however they were extremely busy with a wedding and it was also valentines weekend so I'm sure it is not always the way. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will be returning again soon.

• Stayed February 2012
Dear Goonerlady30,
Thank you for you lovely review and I am delighted that you found the best spot in the hotel; poolside with some bubbles! Glad to hear you will be returning and please do contact me when you have some dates in mind at sallyrussell@donningtonvalley.co.uk
Best wishes
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Ok golf course, hotel in great condition, but stay marred by extraordinarily petty night receptionist. After a very pleasant dinner and a drink in the bar watching the US Masters, I realised I must have dropped a tennis ball in the hotel earlier in the evening. I asked at reception whether it had been handed in and the receptionist said "yes you can have it back in the morning". This, in my view, was a ridiculous way to treat a 40 year old, and I strongly disagreed especially as his colleague proceeded to bounce the ball behind reception after I made the enquiry. I initially assumed he was joking but it quickly transpired that he wasn't. He said it was his duty to protect other guests!! Unfortunately this led to a quite heated argument based on principle from my perspective and stubbornness from his. I shan't be staying at this hotel again. I would like to stress, however, that the co-worker on duty, was very reasonable and I could quite clearly see he wanted to hand the tennis ball back and put an end to a ridiculous situation. This was possibly the pettiest and most totally unnecessay argument I've ever been involved in.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank ojdd100
DVH-HM, Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Dear Monty_mumbers
Thank you for your review and I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry to hear about the incident with my night manager and about your ball being taken but having spoken with the staff in question I understand that they were acting in the best interests of our other guests who may have been disturbed by your game of ‘corridor cricket’ or by your suggestion of playing ‘catch’ in your room in the early hours. We do like to be able to offer all of our guests a good nights sleep here.
Best wishes,
Sandbach, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Good points: gym and spa well equipped; rooms are clean

Bad points: service in the bar is awful; no matter what time of day the bar tenders are rude, ignorant and far too busy / important to actually serve customers in a timely or friendly manner. When they do actually find the time to attend to an order, they are abrupt and snotty. If I were the manager I would fire them all and start again!!!

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank GRClarke
Dear GRClarke,
Thank you for your review and I am very sorry to hear about your experiences with the bar team, rest assured this matter will be investigated and addressed. However I am pleased to read that the rest of your visit was enjoyable and I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to soon.
Kind regards,
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We celebrated my daughters hen party at the hotel this weekend and everything was perfect, thanks to all the brilliant staff and Sally in particular. The hotel was very busy with a wedding, a stag party, and another hen party but even as a small party of 10 we were really looked after. There was a minor confusion over the restaurant booking on Saturday evening but Sally was very helpful and we were given a private room for our dinner within 20 minutes. The spa was great and we all thoroughly enjoyed our stay. I would definately recommend this venue for a group booking.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
DVH-HM, Manager at Donnington Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Dear Vaughan P, Thank you very much for your feedback and of course I was delighted to be able to assist in sorting out the confusion with the private room. Myself and the team are so pleased that you all had a lovely time with us and I hope we are able to welcome you back to Donnington soon, please do contact me directly at sallyrussell@donningtonvalley.co.uk so I may make any arrangements for you personally.
Very best wishes,