US$87
US$175
US$167
Relais & Châteaux
Savings alert! 33% below average rates

The price you found is 33% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$251/night.

US$137
US$84
US$73
US$76
US$72
Travelocity
Bacon Arms(Newbury)
US$74
The Hatchet Inn(Newbury)(Great Value!)
US$63
  • Restaurant
US$70
US$60
Priceline
The Carpenters Arms(Newbury)(Great Value!)
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed June 28, 2014

I really didn't enjoy my stay. The pub is not particularly nice. My room was one of the rooms in the parking lot. I was immediately struck (and put off) by the ant trap that was placed behind the door in my room. The room needed a good cleaning, as there were spider webs all along the ceiling. Also, the room's furnishings were dated, and the mattress was on the floor. The mattress did not have a pad on it, which mad the bed generally uncomfortable. There was lots of noise from the pub until 11pm, and after that there was a lot of street noise. Considering the price, I expected a much more comfortable experience. The breakfast was solid, though.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Archie3214
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Booked in for one night on Saturday, arrived 0900 got booked in right away, left car in rear car park (free) and went into town for the day and also canal boat trip. Now this Hotel is right in the centre of Newbury and the residents door opens onto the pedestrian area. when we were shown to our room we were really suprised, the bed was a four poster, the bath was huge with a shower. The whole hotel is extreamly old with slate, tile and wooden floors, the upstairs floors are sloping always as you would expect from this old building. The evening meal was extreamly good as was the price and the beer (Marstons) was great £2.30 a pint, breakfast was good aswell in fact the whole experience was great. The one thing to bear in mind is that being a traditional old hotel is that it does not have double glazing and as it is in the middle of town it can get a little noisy when other premises empty out, but at £2.30 a pint you can afford to drink enough to sleep all night.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Stayed here on a business trip. Was allocated a 4 poster room. Floor so uneven you felt drunk after a while. The bahtroom had a corner bath in and when stepping out slipped as the floor was uneven and fell all my length into the radiator on the opposite wall. It was quite noisey at night as the room was above the bar and an alley ran down the side where people staggered home after the nightclub closed. We were there for 5 nights and on the last night I had to change rooms as someone had requested the one I was staying (god knows why). This room was also a 4 poster. Carpet was dirty. The toilet had not been cleaned properly (urine all over the place). Scaffolding outside the windows. On of my colleagues left the hotel after one night and booked into another hotel. Another had a room in the car park with a window about 2' square. Depressing. It needs a really good steam clean everywhere. Could be a great place if some money was spent on it. Breakfast not bad. The chap who served this was pleasant and attentive. We ate once in the bar in the evening and decided to check out the restaurants the other nights. Went to The Steak House and Strada (lovely food in both). So glad to get home.

Room Tip: Don't stay in any of them.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank yvonne_brown
Reviewed May 21, 2014

I would always support a smaller business / company if they were cheap and cheerful. My issue is here, I've stayed in 4 star hotel at this price range with pools and gyms so I'm sorry but I have to make you on par with your pricing.
If you were £50 per night, then You would have got 3 or 4 stars - I hope that makes sense.

Good points

-Clean rooms
-Nice big comfy bed
-Rooms quite spacious and bathrooms decent
-Staff were nice and friendly and made me feel welcome
Location - If you like fitness, theres a canal right behind the hotel you can run along which is really nice and picturesque.

Points to improve
-Bed sheets - They were dated , rough, bobbly and itchy. They need changed.
-The location just looks horrid, a car park. Sorry but thats just my opinion.

Would I stay again? No sorry. Unless you dropped prices to suit what type of accommodation you are.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed May 18, 2014

Location is excellent, being right in the centre of town. Easy to find and parking on site. John the manager gave us a really friendly welcome showing us around the building and taking us to our room and pointing out all we needed to know. It is an old building with lots of character which we loved. Our room was clean and tidy with a modern bathroom. Breakfast was one of the best I have had for a while. Freshly cooked and nothing was too much trouble for the very attentive staff. This is an old fashion pub bed and breakfast giving a very personal service. I would choose this over a large chain with self service breakfast every time. We will return when we go to the races again!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple