See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed October 7, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights whilst attending an exhibition at the racecourse.
The room (4) was reasonably appointed with a large bathroom and comfortable bed.
I liked the old exposed beams in the room and the cleanliness in general.
I paid £80 per night including breakfast for two and parking. I think this represents excellent value for money.
The breakfast was one of the best I have experienced. Full English with two eggs and sausages plus hash brown, bacon and beans - all freshly cooked to order!
The toast was also great (not your normal cheap white tasteless supermarket bread) accompanied by a choice of jam and marmalade.
Next time I am in Newbury I will be sure to book the Queen's Hotel again!

Stayed: October 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank pdjroberts
Reviewed September 29, 2014 via mobile

Having looked at the menu outside the pub we decided to try them out. Bonus points need to be given for them doing Quorn. I asked for a completely different meal than was on the menu and they made it for me. Food was gorgeous, puddings were out of this world. The price was extremely reasonable. Only downside was that there were only two members of staff on who were very overwhelmed as it was so busy. More staff are need for a very very very busy Saturday afternoon.

Stayed: September 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank lotsoflove5
Reviewed September 7, 2014 via mobile

Average hotel and my room was in the car park, noisy and the curtain wouldn't shut properly so not could see half the room from outside. The breakfast was however great and theyd do whatever you wanted (within reason). There are few hotels in the centre of newbury so this is an ok choice. Not the worst but nothing special, need to take more care looking after the place

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed July 28, 2014

I stayed here for a week on business and I didn't have one good night of sleep for two reasons. 1- the temperature of the room was ridiculously hot. On several occasions I feared that I wouldn't wake up do to the suffocating heat! 2- the hotel is situated in the middle of Newbury on a main road/high street so the noise is very bad. Lots of shouting and drunk people staggering around from the surrounding pubs/nightclub. As there is no air conditioning in the rooms and I couldn't leave a window open at night due to the noise, the sleep I had was far from enjoyable.
The food at the hotel was very good, every meal I received (breakfast and dinner) was cooked well and fresh. The drinks were also good.
Some of the staff were really welcoming and friendly where as others appeared like they couldn't be bothered to serve me and like it was a pain. Also members of my group were sworn at by bar staff when they asked to order a drink at 10:45 (bar closes at 11) they were refused service. When the staff sit around the bar on their phone or reading a paper it doesn't give off a good impression.
Room was clean and very spacious, I had a four post bed which was lovely. If it wasn't for the heat of the room it would be great!
The older gentleman who works there with glasses was absolutely brilliant, very friendly and helpful. Was constantly making sure I was happy and had everything I needed. I think other members of the staff could learn a thing or two about hospitality from him!

Room Tip: Try and get a room at the middle of the hotel as rooms at the front have noise from street and rooms at back had noise from bar!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Rianne_xo
Reviewed June 28, 2014

I really didn't enjoy my stay. The pub is not particularly nice. My room was one of the rooms in the parking lot. I was immediately struck (and put off) by the ant trap that was placed behind the door in my room. The room needed a good cleaning, as there were spider webs all along the ceiling. Also, the room's furnishings were dated, and the mattress was on the floor. The mattress did not have a pad on it, which mad the bed generally uncomfortable. There was lots of noise from the pub until 11pm, and after that there was a lot of street noise. Considering the price, I expected a much more comfortable experience. The breakfast was solid, though.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo