“Never again!”
Review of Butlin's Minehead

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Minehead
Butlin's Minehead
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Minehead
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We have had many enjoyable holidays over the years with our 10 year old son at Butlins Minehead, but after our last New Years 3 day break this will be our last. The facilities and shows haven’t gone into decline, just the clientele. Our first nights sleep was broken throughout the night with foul mouthed shouting from the chalet opposite with no signs of any on site security staff. Numerous people ‘slobbed’ around at breakfast time(and throughout the day) in their onesies and at one time a boy was racing up and down the restaurant on his scooter without anyone blinking an eyelid. When Billy Butlins opened up his first camp site many years ago to cater for the decent hard working tax payers of this country he never could envisage that his dreams would now be in tatters. To sum it all up in one word …….chavtastic!!!!

2  Thank Martin S

Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

Have just got back from new year break 30 dec- 2nd jan. We had an excellent time. I booked a silver apartment with dining. At check in they told us we had been upgraded to silver bungalow, which was a nice surprise. Check in time was 4 pm but we arrived at 4.15 and the cleaner was still cleaning. Found it very clean and warm. We ate at quayside restaurant. Food was good and plenty of choice. Entertainment was ok. It was the usual tribute acts, pink, olly murs, take that, the Jackson's. We went to centre stage on first night then went to reds the other nights. I didn't find New Year's Eve very good. People were queuing for centre stage at 10am. It didn't open until 5.30pm. I expected better entertainment for this night but it was basically the same as the other nights. They did a pantomime on New Year's Day which was very good but again people started queuing very early and the que was very very long. This is the only thing that puts me off about butlins. Also they had ice skating but it wasn't ice and it was very hard to do. We will definitely go again but we will buy the fast passes so we don't have to stand queuing for hours.

Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Upon arriving there was a huge queue at the reception, which resulted in us missing out on our evening meal which we'd paid for in advance. After explaining it wasn't our fault, due to the lack of staff and large queue at the desk, we were allow to have our tea in another restaurant, or rather, was allow to eat the left over muck.
Our room was AWFUL. One window wouldn't close, so we had rain and wind coming in all night. The toilet had been used and not cleaned. The floor was covered in crumbs and sand, and the beds were the most uncomfortable thing EVER. The following day came with more issues. None of the food was labelled for dinner nor breakfast, and being allergic to some meats this was a real issue as I had to constantly ask people what the food contained, with most of the staff worryingly not knowing what was actually in some of the dishes being served!! When I asked what vegetarian options there was, I got told, "There's some salad down there". What a massive joke. That evening we went to bed early because the entertainment gave both me and my partner a headache; I'd also been suffering with terribly sore eyes since going swimming that afternoon too; I was therefore horrified to wake up during the night with horrendously swollen eyes, due to having an allergic reaction. Unsure what to do, my partner and I went to reception, which was closed. A kind security guard then took us both to the first aid room. After waiting a while I was told by a rude first aider (who just laughed at my condition) that there was nothing he could do about my situation, and that we'd have to go to the local hospital. Baring in mind it was about 1 am in the morning, my partner had been drinking, and I was unable to drive, somehow we were expected to make our own way to a hospital. No offer to get us a taxi etc. We eventually got to the hospital, after my partner risked driving, to be told i'd had a huge allergic reaction to a high level of chlorine in the swimming pool. No surprise that we decided to leave that morning. I then spent the next two days in and out of hospital and had to take an entire week off from my university course, as I was too sick to attend. After complain to Butlins, they weren't in the least bit sympathetic about our dreadful time, there words being "Nobodies complained about this before". I can't even explain how damn right rude and awful this place is. Do not bother going, unless you're wanting to experience hell.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Hannah H
Reviewed 2 January 2014

on arrival 23/12/13 the silver bungalow was very nice spotless. the single beds are so uncomfortable to narrow. but the 1st night we had a flood i had to sit up til 2.30 AM for a man to look at it..next morning we were moved to a better bungalow. for dinner we went to the sun & moon very nice but very expensive. staff very friendly.also not everything was free, if you wanted to ice skate you had to book it to be told you could only use it once. you had to book a table in the other restaurants. the pool was freezing cold when its supposed to be a tropical temperature.my grandchildren were freeing within 20 mins its not as good or big as it looks. barely anything to do with toddlers, but on the plus the lifeguards are doing a good job. the evening entertainment was ok. but didnt start til 9.30pm nothing going on before that. at night outside its very dark it needs more lights.was glad to go home. if you go you need a lot of money unless you plan to go off site to eat.

Room Tip: if ur a family that has more than 2 adults book seperate bunglows as beds are only ok if your a chil...
1  Thank Maria C
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Been to Minehead before but not Christmas period 27th Dec to 30th.

First time in a caravan at Butlins clean good size it was very muddy in caravan area because of the amount of rain, but most of this unavoidable. My only complaint in the caravan area and other parts of Butlins is how poor the lighting is at night there were several lampposts not working in the caravan park and so dark in places it was dangerous, this was reported but lights still not working when we left. Tip please take a torch as apart from lights being out difficult to find caravan if you arrive after it is dark.
There were other areas of the site that were very dark and I totally agree with other people who have mentioned this.

We went with family and ages ranged from 9 to 64 and we all enjoyed ourselves but the price of the extras is expensive £5 or £ 6 for most activities ie archery, go karts big bikes £8 for 30 minutes I think more activities should be free it costs enough to stay at Butlins

Last time we went we had the restaurant/food hall as part of our package and found the food good value as one could eat as much as they wanted.
This time we were self catering Morrison's is about 5 minutes walk away and has a café, McDonalds next door to Morrison's, Tesco's a few minutes further away and other eating places along the prom towards the town about 10 to 15 minutes walk away. Also several food places in Butlins but I think Burger King is very expensive

Entertainment was the aimed for families the queues for some of the shows was extremely long so we did not go did not want to queue for up to an hour.

Drink prices was personal choice buy at the bar or go to the shop on site buy your bottles of drinks and ask for glasses from the bar no problem some take their own drinks bought locally this seems totally acceptable and gives freedom of choice and saves money.

Swimming pool good and lots of fun for several hours stay in as long as you like.

Would liked to have played bingo but such a dark and dismal place to play in I knew I might not be able to see the numbers.

We enjoyed ourselves as we had good company, but I do think Butlins could have put more Christmas decorations up outside more lighting in general at night and a few more activities that are cheaper or free as Butlins can afford this it seems it is based on how much profit they can make.

We spent a good amount of time in the skyline a good meeting place and several shows for the younger children which adults enjoy.

Would I go again yes but maybe "look" for a bargain and lighter evenings

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Arrived with husband and 3 children aged 15,13,9. I had already said I didn't want to go again but kids loved it. The complex itself is great, the pool, the entertainment etc. Completely ruined by accomodation. Stayed f6 holnicote village silver accomodation. Big hole under front door, slug on wall in bedroom, broken coat hook on which husband scratched hand,big chunks of laminate peeled off to display damp mouldy chipboard on kitchen surfaces, lights with no shade, something that looked like painted over chewing gum with lines of wet dribble on lounge wall, wet under double bed...nice!. Oh and the smell of cannabis from next chalet. i went to customer services who arranged a deep clean which resulted in lemony smell and the light being fitted. We left a day early amd will never return, after 5 years. Such a shame as entertainment great. Just wish Butlins could provide accomodation like Centre Parcs, would gladly pay more and go every year

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Jayne K
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We arrived and were given a map of where to find the chalet, in the dark with very few lights working. The chalet had an inch space between the door and the frame, shelves had been left damaged with splinters of wood all around it, and it was filthy. Flies squashed into the walls, and not cleaned at all. This was rectified the next day by giving us an upgrade to an apartment. There was rubbish stuck to the carpet, a cigarette which had been there long enough to disintegrate as soon as I touched it. And this was the kids room.
The food hall is an experience, some of the food would pass as edible. The staff were unhelpful, even refusing to refill the cutlery trays when they were empty. The food hardly changed all week, the same inedible rubbish every night.
The entertainment was ok, the prices for drinks etc are a little high but to be expected. If you must go to this place, go self catering, the apartments are nicer and you wont object to eating!

Room Tip: Go self catering! Nicer, larger apartments, edible food!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank oddity667
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minehead
0.9 km away
0.7 km away
Waverley Bed & Breakfast
Waverley Bed & Breakfast
#17 of 37 in Minehead

Been to Butlin's Minehead? Share your experiences!