New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“This is a gem” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kildare Lodge

Kildare Lodge
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Minehead
Kildare Lodge
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Minehead
Hebden Bridge
“This is a gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2011

I have stayed in quite a few B & Bs in Minehead and they all seem to come out of the same Mould. I have stayed in the Kildare twice. Kildare is unique, it is a beautiful well preserved arts and crafts building, the people who run it are very welcoming and the breakfasts are fine. It is alo a lot cheaper than many I have stayed in.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank richardpeters_hb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2010

I have found the response to my several enquiries (over two months) absolutely appalling. I contacted the Kildare Lodge twice via email in July and August 2010, for a proposed booking to take place in October 2010. Neither email was answered. I then telephoned the establishment, and got a short, abrupt reply, which did not answer my requests. However, I persevered, and emailed again twice during very early October - this was to be a booking for a very important sentimental trip for my husband and I on our Wedding Anniversary on October 22nd. I requested further details of perhaps a sample Menu for the Anniversary Dinner. Again, I had no reply at all to either email. I again telephoned, and was told "Oh, I've been too busy to look at emails - I'll do it tonight".
I then received a brief and almost rude email saying, "Well, we are full anyway, so you can't come".
I am absolutely appalled at this - and the Kildare Lodge would now be the very last place I would want to book.
We are going to France for the Anniversary Weekend instead, where we know we will be treated with respect and courtesy.

Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank StTropezLover
kildarelodge, Owner at Kildare Lodge, responded to this review, 18 October 2010
I am both dismayed and surprised at the attitude you have taken to my e.mail which informed you that we were fully booked at the time you wanted to stay. I can only put this down to dissappointment on your part as I certainly did not tell you "we're full anyway so you can't come". I hope your French experience will be an enjoyable one and you have a Happy Anniversary.
Regards
Sarah
Wells, Somerset
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2010

I rang the Kildare as I was recommended it from the fully booked hotel over the road. First impressions are that it is a little Fawlty Towers, but to be honest, it was great. When I booked, the lady simply took my name and that was it, no booking fee no credit card details, nothing. It was done on trust. So refreshing. We needed a taxi for the evening, so they called one for us. In the morning, breakfast was exactly as it should have been.
The room we stayed in was very floral - the walls were floral, the curtains were a different floral and the bedlinen was another floral again. Having said that, we slept brilliantly.
If you need somehwere to stay, then it does what it says on the tin. Bed and Breakfast. If you want to pay extra for simple elegance, plain walls etc., then go elsewhere. Next time we're that way, I'll be re-booking.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
kildarelodge, Owner at Kildare Lodge, responded to this review, 3 October 2010
Thank you so much for your kind words Pleased that you enjoyed your stay even though the floral theme was over the top.We are in the process of decorating and hope that when you return you will notice a difference.
birmingham
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2009

I've curiously just read the reviews on this hotel. my experience here wasn't good .The couple that ran the place when i was there thought nothing of arguing in front of guests. Just as the travellers review before had said "it was like fawlty towers" they were right on que!

The man of the house at the time tried to be and remand polite, But when his partner whether wife or not came on the scene, ignored anyone nearby and acted like a real fishwife. You wouldn't dare intervene or she'd probably turn you to stone if she glanced at you.

I found this absolutley appalling! as when you've spent good money on a break away, the last thing you want to feel is that you're putting people out.

I couldn't send this review earlier as i wasn't online until now.

I do very much hope this place has improved under new owership since then.

• Stayed May 2006, travelled with friends
2 Thank britbirdBirmingham
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2009

There are only 2 restaurants I would recommend within 25 miles of the Kildare. Amazingly for a seaside town there are so few. Two couples recommended it and they keep going back and only because of the new ownership. That adverse comment shown clearly represents the previous ownership. This is the very best restaurant I have ever been to. My starter was superb. The Steak and Ale Pie was wonderful with it's sauce and my wife's chicken in a mild curry sauce was plentiful and more than she could eat. The vegetables were so good that if there were not to be a vegetarian dish then they would, on their own, have made a perfect meal alone. We, Darby and Joan usually leave the restaurant after the meal. This had such a welcoming atmosphere and two lovely log fires that we stayed and had coffee and at only £1.30. A tasty end to a super evening. When I have not enjoyed restaurants in the past naturally I have not returned -with this one I feel that this wholehearted support will shoot me in the foot as readers will fill the tables thus preventing me but even an occasional visit will be worth awaiting. The new owners deserve and have got my WHOLEHEARTED SUPPORT. Well Done!!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2008

I book quite a lot of hotels with my line of work and find reviews very helpful. However, if I had looked at the first review first in this instance I probably would have most likely passed this hotel by, which is a shame as we had a very pleasant and comfortable stay and the breakfast was all you could ask for in a traditional English breakfast.
This was our second stay at this hotel, the first time we stopped with our two children, the second time we just booked for ourselves.
We found the new owners very welcoming and we wouldn't hesitate in staying there again.

• Liked — The breakfast
  • Disliked — decoration could do with updating. The wall paper was a bit on the busy side.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
      Check-in / front desk
Cork, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2008

While driving into the main town of Minehead, I noticed this charming looking hotel, on my way in to enquire about lunch and possibly staying there for the night, I noticed a sign saying "Please Come In". After such a long drive I needed to use the loo and on my way out this lady pleasantly asked me if I was ok. I explained how I would love some lunch to which she bizarrely started raising her voice that all I wanted to do was use the toilet and I had no interest in staying for lunch!! I explained that I was staying for lunch and had my bag with me but after such a long journey that I needed to stop to the loo first, she then preceeded to say how she hated people who lied to her!!. Before my shocked face she opened the door and started shouting "Get Out You Old Fart". At this stage I found myself outside the door with the now infamous sign "Please Come In", for a spilt second I thought it was candit camera but obviously it was not!! I don't know if I was more offended by being thrown out or being called an "Old Fart" as I am only in my mid 30's and this lady was considerably older!

MODonovan (alias "Old Fart")
Cork

• Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank marieR5760IE
kildarelodge, owner. at Kildare Lodge, responded to this review, 13 October 2008
We as the new owners of the Kildare Lodge since July 2008 find the above comments unhelpful and now inaccurate. There will be a warm welcome to all and the added promise of wonderful food and attentive service. Hope to see you soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minehead
0.7 km away
8.4 km away
Lorna Doone Hotel
Lorna Doone Hotel
#1 of 2 in Porlock

Been to Kildare Lodge? Share your experiences!