All reviews luton airport wet room an early flight small gym min walk one night stay booked this hotel would stay again double bed car parking budget hotel tea and coffee taxi runway pounds stopover fly
Reviewed April 3, 2018

I assume the title of my review is the Company's Mission Statement?! Rarely have I stayed anywhere so overwhelming average in every respect. An amazing feat! Remember this is not a budget hotel & I struggle to see much difference between this and the nearby H.I. Express, which is cheaper. The rooms are small, the double bed even smaller. The shower in our room didn't drain properly so we were moved to another room - upon request. Yes it's clean and the bed is comfortable but that's about it. Some rooms are looking tired and in need of a refurb. (Shabby tile grout and laminate coming off furniture. Tv remote batteries needing changing etc).

The restaurant dining area is something else altogether though! On our outward journey, the restaurant was empty yet somehow the 'Chef' forgot our meal. Eventually they remembered and brought our first course out. The server very kindly offered us free deserts as recompense. On our homebound stay, the restaurant was busier and I decided to go for the same meal (a burger - mainly due to the pitiful lack of choice). This turned up in a reasonable period of time but the bottom of the burger was burnt. Being hungry & tired I ate it. When the waitress enquired how it was, I told her to tell the chef that it was burnt and explained why I'd not complained. I got no real acknowledgement of the issue nor indeed an apology - seemingly her job was done by just asking the question.

The staff are all young and mostly Eastern European; some friendly, some not. All restaurant staff are in need of guidance and training and seem to be lacking in supervision. It's all very hit & miss and appears to be just a food warming area, rather than a proper kitchen. Breakfasts again exceedingly average and not worth the price. You'd do better eating at the airport - plus you'd get a decent coffee.

Staying here feels like you are just part of some automated process - a bit like a sheep dip perhaps. Just a number.

And then for the privilege of staying here, you are charged £8 parking for your single night stay. I could understand being charged if the car was left for the duration of the holiday but fail to understand how they justify charging guests for a one night stay on their own grounds?

This is not written by a serial complainer or a fussy, needy traveller. I am a fairly laid back, easy going person - but I do hate being ripped off and being taken for granted. If any H.I. hierarchy read this, I would urge them to check in and experience their own product! Maybe things would then change. It could be of course that having a captive market, they don't give a sh1t?! We all keep going back!

Room tip: Check your room to make sure everything works properly before unpacking
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
ManagerHILuton, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Luton Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2018

Dear Viv T,

Thank you for your review of the hotel. I'm sorry to hear that you were not entirely happy with your stay and felt that we did not offer value for money.

I understand your comments regards the bathroom. We are currently refurbishing our bathrooms, with 102 rooms completed and just 22 on the ground floor to go. If you could email me on gm@hilutonairport.com with the room number, you stayed in and I can ensure that the other maintenance issues are repaired immediately.

I apologise for your restaurant experience, this is not the normal standard we work to and I will investigate your comments with the team regards the 'lost' order and burnt burger. It's also surprising to hear your comments regards the coffee as we proudly serve Starbucks at the hotel.

I am very proud to have such a diverse team working at the hotel especially in the restaurant, we have many different nationalities French, Italian, Greek, Russian, British, Indian so to refer to them as 'mostly Eastern European' is quite offensive.

All hotels around the airport charge for car parking for resident and non-resident guests, it's standard for airport locations in the UK. Our prices are regularly reviewed against the competition and are cheaper than some of the other hotels in the vicinity such as the Holiday Inn Express who charge £10 per night.

The team and I take feedback very seriously and value your comments. We always strive to improve services and be the best hotel in the area, so I apologise on this occasion if you faced challenges during your visit to us.

Reviewed April 2, 2018 via mobile

All good around the areas, friendly staff, just visit the Bar all good!! We recommend if you wait for a transfer at the airport near by!!! Taxi all the time just ask receptionist and it’s a £10 a journey....

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
ManagerHILuton, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Luton Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2018

Dear Custodio G,

Thank you for awarding us four stars in your review.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and the hotel delivered all that was needed.

See you again soon!

Reviewed March 22, 2018 via mobile

So what to say !! Hotel checkin is ok rooms are basic but clean , slight issue with noise at night as the doors are loud and floors not very suitcase friendly

Breakfast is ok but no brown sauce ? Or ketchup

Checkout is hard work at 6am as there was only one person there

But if your stopping here it’s because your flying from Luton so for £60 with breakfast your can’t really grumble

Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Fattymatty1,

Thank you for your comments.

I'm sorry to hear that your night was disturbed by corridor noise. I was surprised to hear there was no condiments at breakfast, these should be available at all times and I will monitor this in the future.

I hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed March 19, 2018

We were a party of 8 people who had their flight to Lanzarote from Southend cancelled at the last moment. EasyJet could only fly us from Luton 3 days later so they put us up in this hotel on the Sunday night due to an early morning flight. Upon arrival the reception staff were very polite and efficient and confirmed our booking and prepaid evening meal! Great start and the efficiency continued! The rooms were clean and although we did not spend much time in them due to a 4.15 am call they were comfortable. I read the reviews concerning the food and service and can only say the reviews must have been for somewhere else. We all had really good food which was served quickly and tasted really good.
All in all a much better start to our delayed holiday and we all said that we would be very happy to stay at this hotel again.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends

Dear Graham K,

Thank you for your five star review!

It's great to hear the hotel and the team delivered a great experience as it sounds like your group had a delayed start to your holiday due to flight cancellation.

It was especially pleasing to hear that your group enjoyed your restaurant meal, I have passed your comments onto the food and beverage team.

I trust you made it to Lanzarote in the end and had a great holiday.

Please come and stay again in the future.

Reviewed February 27, 2018 via mobile

We entered the restaurant and ordered food and drinks 10 minutes later. After waiting 25 minutes for drinks we asked the waiter for the drinks and were further ignored for another 10 minutes. Although served in pint and half pint marked glasses the larger had a massive froth on top and the shandy was well below the level.We had to ask twice again for the food which finally arrived 1 hour after ordering.We had both ordered the cajun sizzling platter having observed it on the next table. The skinny fries appeared as a large portion in a tower basket. When ours finally arrived 10 minutes after speaking to the manager there was a much smaller portion of skinny fries on the plate. When tasted these were cold and indifferent. We pointed this out to the manager who sent out a portion of chunky chips at least these were hot. In fairness to the duty manager we were informed there would not be a charge. The waiter again then asked us for our room numbers, this was now the third time. When we questioned this third request the waiter said he would ask but although passing our table several times did not answer our question. We did give the manager some constructive feedback on the standard and attitude of the restaurant staff. If the food had been as the next table we would not have had cause to complain.

Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Luton Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2018

Dear Dorian E,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I am very sorry for the unexpected experience you had with the service you received in our hotel restaurant and the quality of food we serve. Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and guest services we offer to our guests. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M