“Date night at the Canton Chef”

The Canton Chef, Honley
Ranked #119 of 536 Restaurants in Huddersfield
Price range: US$11 - US$79
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A stylish Cantonese Restaurant based in the heart of Honley village, near Huddersfield. An excellent and fine dining restaurant. Interior décor has to be seen. It's a little gem! Not to be confused with our sister restaurant in Huddersfield Town Centre (The Canton Chef, Huddersfield).
Reviewed August 11, 2017 via mobile

We visited the Canton Chef. It was quiet when we arrived but we were warmly greeted and shown to our table.
We opted for the set menu for 2. Our request to change one of the set dishes was no trouble.
The starters were very tasty, followed by a very nice quarter Peking Duck. For our main course we had Char Siu Pork and Beef with Peppers - both tasty.
The Waitresses at Canton Chef were very attentive. All in all a very nice meal.
The only downside was the barman/manager. He needs to understand that shouting at the waitresses across the restaurant is niether a good customer experience, or a reasonable way to treat staff.

1  Thank TeamEmerica

Reviewed July 22, 2017

Tried this place a couple years ago and wasn't impressed, but on a whim I recently decided to try it again to see if I was wrong. I wasn't. Ordered a meat dish with satay sauce dish. Expected something creamy and peanutty. What arrived was mostly onions and the sauce was watery and bland. I thought they'd given me the wrong dish but on closer inspection there were a few crumbled up peanuts in there. And I mean a few. I've just Google-Imaged 'pork satay sauce' to make sure I wasn't expecting something different, and all the images are what I was expecting. Vastly different to what arrived. Disappointed.

1  Thank Migrig
Reviewed June 23, 2017

This was our 3rd visit to Canton Chef and yet again we were not disappointed. All the food was delicious, we particularly enjoyed the spare ribs(salt and pepper) but all the starters were really good.
Service was excellent very attentive staff and the whole restaurant is spotlessly clean.
They also do take-away which is just as good.

Reviewed June 14, 2017

My wife, myself and our two kids (2 and 4) found the Canton Chef by chance while down in the area visiting family. We were immediately greeted by friendly staff and seated at a lovely table. My son had just recently stopped using a high chair and they immediately offered an appropriately sized booster seat. The staff were always available but never hovering about the table and were absolutely excellent with the kids. Even offering suggestions on the best time and way to serve the meal based on experience to ensure the kids ate and we were able to eat as well. Separate bowls and spoons were brought out with the soup so we could split it into smaller portions to allow it to cool quicker and all without asking. These are all minor points but really are often overlooked when you have children. On top of all this, the value for money was excellent as was the quality of the food and portion size. Would recommend to anyone.

Reviewed June 12, 2017

We always try to get to this restaurant when we are in the Holmfirth area. Lovely decor and the food is authentic and very welll presented. Don't be worried by the fact that Richard, the manager, doesn't write down any notes when you are ordering- the food still comes out as requested hot and tasty. Recommended.