“Not what it used to be”

Spill The Beans Cafe
Ranked #2 of 2 Coffee & Tea in Dunkeld
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Wooden tables with cast iron bases' painted chairs and a warm welcome.We pride ourselves in making great tea and coffee with all our staff being trained in how to make the perfect froth to grace the best triple scored coffee. Tea has been chosen to compliment the local water conditions.A fantastic selection of cakes, from light crisp and chewy meringues to light Victoria Sponges to Macaroons and Apple Pies with pastry to die for.... all made in our small but busy kitchen.We invite walkers in and if your best friend is a dog bring them too ...we have an outdoor area which is smoke free so at last we can sit outside and be able to assured that the table next to you will not be smoking. Closed on Tuesdays. Though we will be open throughout the year.
Reviewed April 5, 2018 via mobile

It has been a couple of years since we’ve eaten here and it was always first choice among coffee shops as it is dog friendly. It does still allow dogs, however they have to be in the small room set aside and the owner had to check with the people already in there, that they were happy with a dog coming in. I ordered a bowl of sweet potato soup, which was in a very small bowl, not piping hot and served with rather stale tasting bread. Hubby enjoyed his chocolate Victoria sponge cake and my date and oat slice was delicious, but again, a very small piece. The cost of our lunch was much more expensive than e had paid for similar food earlier in the week , which wouldn’t have been so noticeable, had I not witnessed the very pleasant waitress being told off at the counter for something she had done when giving me my change. Surely this could have been done more discreetly.

Date of visit: March 2018
1  Thank WalkwiththeDog

Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

Always meant to come here and finally did! Had the best stovies and home made oatcakes I have ever tasted. If you’re a tea Jenny like me, also amazing as you get a proper old fashioned china cup, simply devine.... It was very busy when we were in but the staff were swift taking our order and very nice. My husband loved his cake and coffee too. Thankyou...

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed March 25, 2018 via mobile

So we arrived at 3.45
We were not told that being out by 4.45 was imperative

I understand that with fresh cake, there will be limited choices, so I went up to bag the last piece of coffee cake, and the woman behind the counter was very accommodating, but she then really aggressively spoke to the the wait staff in front of the other members of my party when they did the same.

Cake was nice
I paid extra for soya milk, which annoys me,
But it was expensive and given our table spent the best part of £80 their attitude should have been better.

Date of visit: March 2018
2  Thank KalexJ
Reviewed January 16, 2018

Our first impressions of the cafe were positive - seeing the display of cakes and the board listing dishes available. In reality, the food was mediocre and poor value for money. The soup was served in a very small bowl accompanied by two tiny homemade oatcakes, one of which was burnt - evidence that it was homemade, but not pleasant to eat. Some serving staff had a friendly manner; others were decidedly dour. We had to ask three times for milk for our coffees before it was eventually brought to our table.
Overall not a great experience and not a place we plan to return to. Fortunately there are other options in Dunkeld.

Date of visit: December 2017
2  Thank Travel-Lightbeam
Kettins2, Owner at Spill The Beans Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2018

as we were closed the whole of january I fail to see how you visited us ?

Reviewed November 11, 2017

Small place near the church we popped into for a coffee. Good selection of scones and cakes, soup etc. A bit pricey but you expect this in places like dunkeld. Busy little place even in october but we were lucky enough to get a seat. Good coffee, service and cake, good stop off point.

Date of visit: October 2017