Great National Ballykisteen Golf Hotel(Tipperary)(Great Value!)
US$81
Agoda.com
Ach Na Sheen B&B(Tipperary)
TripAdvisor
Bit & Bridle Inn(Tipperary)
  • Restaurant
Coopers Cottage(Tipperary)
The Lodge B&B(Tipperary)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsforge barthe pubfamily runchocolate browniebeyond reproachtipperary townsteakwonderful weekendcouldn't do enoughon arrivalruthglenliamirelandensuiteaccommodationguinness
Reviewed July 28, 2017

Brilliant food warm and homely . Rooms warm and a lovely breakfast in the morning . Great bar off the country house where we could relax with the locals and join in a song or two . 5 min s from town by car and beautiful walks near by . We had dinner in Ballyglass at night and it was great value with great food and staff were friendly and very helpful as there was a group of us . Overall we re planing our next stay to Ruth and Ballyglass Country House ...

Room Tip: nothing bad to say rooms are warm and bed was comfortable
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed May 13, 2017

I booked this accommodation because of the picture of the room shown on the Internet. When we arrived, late, because we had trouble locating the property, we were given a room that was dark, crowded (a double and two single beds), with an ensuite that felt like an add-on. The double bed was less that a foot away from a large heater so it was way too hot to sleep that close, and the room was stuffy and hot. There was no shower as such. A hand held shower (no curtain or screen) was available as was a spa bath.
We requested on booking a double room with queen size bed and ensuite. we didn't get what we asked for and what was agreed to on our reservation, so were disappointed. Breakfast was adequate although no nuts were available as we have come to expect throughout our time in Ireland. There was a fruit salad but no other fruits available. Here may have been if requested. The house is lovely but some work is needed. Ruth and family are very pleasant too. On the whole we were disappointed - more with the room than anything and didn't think we received value for money.
Also, while there is free wifi, it wasn't working for us. Ruth did help us out with this, but it sounds like wifi might not always be reliable. It would be good to check this if you really need Internet access.
Not a place we would go back to.

Room Tip: Perhaps be very specific about what you want in a room.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
RuthOConnor, General Manager at Ballyglass Country House, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2017

Dear Karen

I was disappointed to read your your recent review of Ballyglass.

Firstly we decided to put you in our larger family room as I felt you might be travelling with a lot of luggage as you were an overseas visitor so I decided to put you in a more spacious room than the one pictured on our website which is a much smaller room. This room has a queen size double bed and two single beds. I'm sorry that you found the room too warm, you looked cold and tired upon your arrival and I was trying to make you more comfortable.

You are absolutely right about the en-suite being an add on, sadly en-suites were not really the done thing in 1756 when Ballyglass was originally built so we were left with the mammoth task of adding en- suites when we purchased the property in 1996 and as with any property of this age it is constantly being upgraded, bit by bit after all it is 250 years old and more.

I admit that WiFi can be intermittent again I apologise - it is frustrating- it's a constant battle for us here and we suffer at the hands of the local telecom company because of our location but I did my best to rectify this for you.

Finally we did not offer nuts for breakfast the morning that you stayed because another guest staying with us had a nut allergy and I didn't feel it necessary to explain to every guest why we had withdrawn nuts from our buffet as there were juices, freshly prepared fruit salad, yoghurt and seeds on offer as well as cereals.

I do hope that you enjoyed the rest of your stay in Ireland and I'm sorry that you felt that your needs were not met here at Ballyglass, however we had done our best for you during your stay here.

Ruth O' Connor

Reviewed January 21, 2017 via mobile

Didn't book it myself, but went with my parents, brothers and sisters and a handful of other friends for dinner. On arrival, we were told to go to the bar (beside house) where others in our group were. Nice bar, and watched the rugby. Menu was there with the brothers name on it for his birthday, which I liked, nice touch. Waitress came and took our order in the pub, which I felt was efficient, and there was no waiting around when we sat.

We were then lead back in to the house, nice enough, and in to a room with a long table set up for our group. Room was a bit cold, and was commented on by several of my group.

Food was out quickly, I had the black and white pudding, was good.

The main wasn't great, got the steak, asked for medium rare, but came a bit too well done for my liking and was tough enough. Chocolate brownie was only ok as well. It was all from the set menu, so wasn't expecting something out of this world, but the way the group organiser went on I was expecting better quality wise. But it was ok value for money. That said, another member of the group taught the steak was lovely, so, maybe I'm nit picking.

Waitress and polite, and on the ball with orders and all requests were met promptly by her. She looked after us well.

All in all, nice place, but I don't think it will stand out to me as a place I'd go out of my way to get back to.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed September 17, 2016 via mobile

We checked and were offered tea - nice touch.
Ruth the host was wonderful-lovely chatting and very informative as we're all the staff.
The rooms are small but not unexpected.
The dinner in the Forge was good.
The highlight was the musical rendition by Ruth's daughters.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed September 11, 2016 via mobile

Welcomed here with tea/coffee, old style country house, spotlessly clean, cozy rooms an very comfy bed, no sparing in the breakfast, and very friendly staff, lovely grounds for walking, would recommend. .

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple