“DON'T stay here if you want to sleep!”

Holiday Inn Basildon
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Basildon
Norwich, UK
“DON'T stay here if you want to sleep!”
Reviewed 19 March 2012

My family and I stayed here on a Saturday night before a trip to a nearby attraction. I had chosen this hotel as I knew it was on the Festival Leisure Park and would provide us with plenty of eating options during our stay. I also knew it was slightly away from the main area and thought this would afford us a quiet night - how wrong I was!

We found and checked in OK, the receptionist can't be paid in words as I think she uttered 2 or 3 during the whole process!

We proceeded to our room and all looked OK so far. A double bed and also a double sofa bed for the 3 of us. Nice large telly woth plenty of freeview channels. The room and bathroom were clean and tidy. The double bed was OK, not overly comfortable but OK. The double sofa bed though was really uncomfortable and also sagging quite badly in the middle, good job it was only my young daughter in there. There is no way 2 people would be able to sleep on it as they would end up together in the middle of the bed!

We went out and had something to eat and then returned for a peaceful nights sleep - not a chance!

Firstly we heard the constant sound of revving engines as the locals were putting their cars through the paces - that finally quietened down around 12AM. Next up our room neighbours came back from their night out and went in and out of their room CONSTANTLY. The must of heard their door slam about 30 - 40 times between 1.45 - 3.30AM. I have no idea what they were doing and also dont think I want to know!

Lastly and by no means least, we had the many people congregating under our window during the night (it must of been a smoking area) and discussing their night out.

So, all in all, not a great nights sleep.

Now I know that these problems are not the fault of the hotel, so I cant fault the actual hotel. I would just not advise this hotel for a family stay but if you and your mates want a well located hotel, where you can run amok all night you would be hard pushed to find a better hotel for this, than the Holiday Inn - Basildon!

Room Tip: BACK of the hotel people, BACK of the hotel!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Daniel S, Manager at Holiday Inn Basildon, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
Dear Valued Guest

I must thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us at Basildon Holiday Inn.

I am sorry read that your nights sleep with us was disrupted due to noise from outside and inside of the hotel. Although you state that the hotel is not at fault it is for my team to manage the noise levels in and around the hotel.

We have a responsibilty to ensure that everybody that stays with us gets what they want from their experience. We do our best to allocate any groups into specfifc areas of the hotel so that they do not impact on our other guests and do regular walk rounds at night.

It seems that we did not get this right on your particular stay.

I am pleased to read that certain other areas of the hotel were to your satisfaction and all of your comments will be fed back to the team.

I hope to see you again in the future so that we can show you we can get it right.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2012

This hotel is very similar to most other hotels i have stayed at for business purposes, Rooms and facilities were clean and tidy but didnt stand out from the crowd. The cost of the WIFI was a bit of a joke. Beyond this the staff were really helpful and willing to go the extra mile. My very good meal was made even better by the bubbly and attentive service of a blond girl in the resturant called Debbie. The breakfast was nice if a bit standard although the range was fantastic. Overall i would be more than happy to return and fully expect to next time i am in the area.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Andy B
london
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Avoid this at all cost...unless if you really drunk as there are night clubs around the corner !! On our arrival late at night we were served by a duty manager who had no clue what customer service is, hand in his pocket, starting arguing with a member of the public about the cash machine in front of his paying guest....not good. its a budget one..avoid

The bar staff however were very friendly

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny"
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Daniel S, Manager at Holiday Inn Basildon, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
Dear Joe

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

I am dissapointed to see that you did not receive a good service later on in the evening at the hotel, i will pass your comments onto my team members so that we can ensure this was an isolated incident, as we usually receive high praise for our people.

I am however glad to see my bar team did deliver the service that i would expect.

I hope that you may return to us in the future so that we restore your faith in the hotel.

glasgow
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Company trip, Room good clean, could have done with a bigger bed, 3/4 size double, Sleep quality, not so good, I have trouble with new beds, but what the heck.
Food v.v good, evening meal bit expensive.
Breakfast, v.v. good.
Drinks v. expensive 2 glasses of Rioja £11:10.

Room Tip: Make sure if you don't smoke you don't get a smoking room
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience with us.

I have fed your kind comments regarding the food back to my Chef and also the great comments regarding the room to our Housekeeping team.

It is great to read that you enjoyed your time with us and we met your expectations in a number of areas.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

plymouth, mi
Reviewed 11 February 2012

This hotel was fine for a quick business stay. The staff was friendly, there's a bar in the lobby that pours a good pint. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable enough, with a nice bed and a sofa. The bathroom was a little small but suited my needs fine.

The drawback is that it is just in need of some renovation. The carpet is old and worn. Same with the wallpaper and walls. Just needs some new love and we'd be happy!

It was nice that they give you a bottle each of sparkling water and regular water. Too bad the regular water in my room had been opened and was missing a gulp! Attention to detail, folks!

There's a couple of chain restaurants in the area - Pizza Hit and TGI Friday's, So if you're looking for something local you'll have to drive. We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant and the buffet was a notch above normal. They catered to American tasted but had plenty of British offerings too.

In the end, it was fine for a quick night of business travel, but not the kind of place or location I would consider for a vacation or getaway.

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your experience with us on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased to see that the hotel offered everything that you needed and my team looked after you.

We do have a rolling maintenance programme in place to ensure that we keep on top of any fixtures and fittings that may need replacing or repairing.

I hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Cologne, Germany
Reviewed 7 February 2012

One of those places that were booming approximately in the '80s, but did not see major renovation since then - and it shows.
Absolutely terrible price/value ratio - but that seems to go for all greater London area, so if you're looking for value for money go somewhere where you do not have to pay in Pounds.
But if you need to go to the area, you won't find much better places - not because this one is so good but because the others are about the same bad.

Room Tip: If you want a Non-Smoker unit, insist on that when making the booking - if you don't you may end...
Dear Mr Werner

I am sorry to read that you did not find the hotel good value for money, please be assured that we have a rolling maintenance and cleaning plan in place to ensure the hotel is kept in a good condition and offers everything our guests may require.

I hope that you may visit us again in the future and am i sure that your experience would be very different.

Essex UK
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Everything about this hotel is standard. Room was fine. Good night's sleep. Breakfast was the usual unappetising buffet of cooked breakfast lying under warm lights and looking like it had been there sometime.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Daniel S, Manager at Holiday Inn Basildon, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
Dear Adrian

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel on Trip Advisor.

I must appolgise that the breakfast did not meet your expectations on that day. I will ensure that these comments are fed back to our breakfast team so that we can improve moving forward.

I was happy to read though that the room was good and you had a good nights sleep.

I hope to be able to welcome you back at some point in the future.

Daniel Sharpe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Basildon
0.1 km away
11.9 km away
De Rougemont Manor
De Rougemont Manor
#3 of 4 in Brentwood

Been to Holiday Inn Basildon? Share your experiences!