Holly Bank House
US$59
US$66
US$64
Savings alert! 20% below average rates

The price you found is 20% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$80/night.

Featherstone Farm Hotel(Wolverhampton)(Great Value!)
US$72
US$50
Barons Court Hotel(Wolverhampton)(Great Value!)
US$39
US$38
Travelocity
US$66
Premier Inn Wolverhampton City Centre Hotel(Wolverhampton)(Great Value!)
US$73
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Wolverhampton North Hotel(Wolverhampton)(Great Value!)
US$76
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed September 15, 2015

Lovely place to stay we had our 2 large dogs with us room was very spacy, large grounds to run them in the staff were lovely nothing was to much trouble the food was excellent. They even offered to set up a table for breakfast in bar area so we could have dogs with us but they were so tired from there run in grounds they slepted while we enjoyed a hearty breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jasmin281063
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I've stayed in quite a few hotels recently on my travels ranging from those that struggled to get 3 stars from me up to those that it was easy to award 5 stars to. Last week, I stayed in the Paris Concorde Opera with a €550-a-night tariff and can't quite remember the layout of the room. Three weeks ago I stayed in the M Hotel in Singapore and can't quite forget how annoyed I was that while I had a desk like a NASA control room to work at, breakfast didn't arrive on time and really messed up the start of my day in a way I didn't need.

And now I've stayed in a £50 a night B&B outside of Wolverhampton that beats all of those. Here's why.

Holly Bank House was a gamble. I'd searched TripAdvisor for alternative hotels in Wolverhampton because (to be frank) I knew I was going to be working very hard during the day and somehow, the Premier Inn just wasn't an environment to recharge my batteries in. I decided to sort by highest rating and Holly Bank House popped up at #2. I read the 14 reviews (13 5* and 1 4*) and sensed they were all genuine. What I picked up was that this place had exceeded the expectation of the people who'd chosen to stay there. 6* quality #1. I liked that and called to book.

First impressions were great. It's June so the garden greenery was in full bloom. The house sits surrounded by carefully tended gardens and feels secluded and private. We were met by Sergio who made us welcome with a genuine and friendly hospitality. 6* quality #2. He gave a us a quick tour of the house and left us with the impression that we were to treat it like being at home. 6* quality #3 (the Chateauform 'brand' of hotels in France does this wonderfully).

I chose room 2 and my first impression was 'quaint'. It was very green and I wasn't initially sure that I liked it but I realised later that this was because it was just so very different to modern chain hotels (no matter what the star rating they have). It was well equipped with flat TV, coffee making, a big springy bed and a shower / toilet room and came with a nice view of the peaceful lawn and garden below.

Nothing was too much trouble for Sergio and the owner's daughter (I didn't find out her name): taxis booked, breakfast cooked on request and - on my third day - some laundry done. I hadn't had this good a service in any of my recent 5* hotels and better yet, it was done with a genuine desire to please. 6* quality #4.

The breakfast room is a delight - a long, bright and airy conservatory full of plants with a view to the riot of green outside. Beautifully set out, clean and a pleasure to sit in. The fried breakfast itself was in a class of its own. I have to be honest, I'm a picky fried breakfast eater and in most UK hotels I can't bear the low-grade produce, preparation and presentation that goes into their fried breakfasts. This, by contrast really was a labour of love - made with one purpose, to please - 6* quality #5. There's only one criticism I have about Holly Bank House and I'll declare it now: the breakfast is actually too large. It would benefit from being 30% smaller for two reasons: 1) so the guest doesn't end up feeling guilty about leaving so much and 2) it would leave room to sample some of the other lovely fruits and cereals on offer. You could say that it was almost a victim of its own success - but it's a luxury problem for the proprietors to have :)

I stayed 3 days and failed to work out the upstairs-then-downstairs route to breakfast which was a source of amusement but was no problem as we were welcomed through the kitchen to the breakfast room anyway. This house is full of charm, old books, paintings, suits of armour and other lovely things. I'd like to stay a week and spend the weekend just pottering and reading books.

As others have mentioned, 3/4 of a mile up the road is the Mitre Pub which serves a surprisingly good steak but which feels positively bare and a bit unwelcoming after Holly Bank House.

Check out the pictures I took; they'll convey a sense of the place better than my words can. To find something as good as Holly Bank House is wonderful but to find it for a tenth (yes a TENTH) of the price I paid for something less memorable in Paris last week is the reason why I've given it 6 stars.

Room Tip: Take your pick - if there is more than one available, I expect you'll be invited to choose (as we were)
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank tmukau
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Took my Mum and Dad and shared a family room with a separate bathroom which was for our exclusive use, felt like we had the sole use of one wing of the house. Stayed one night, when we left next morning My Mum said "well that's another thing off my 'bucket list', l have always wanted to stay in an English country manor house". Tina makes your stay extra special even if its just one night, we felt like royalty in the conservatory having breakfast and being served by Sergio her friend.
If you are like me and prefer minimalist you may be in for a surprise and actually enjoy the collection of paintings, tapestries, pictures, ornaments, coats of armour etc.
Amazing place, comfy beds, hot water on tap, gorgeous fruit salad, the list could go on and on. We want to invent a family event to hire the whole place, great value for money. Thanks Tina and Sergio for making our trip brilliant, wish we could have stayed longer, we will be back.

Room Tip: Room one has a double and a single bed with separate bathroom with outer door making it like a suite.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Angela C
Reviewed February 12, 2012

Very good place to spend a night. The furnishings are a lifetime collection, the beds are comfy and the breakfasts are lovely.

Tina the host is a great person to host a hotel.

There are no facilities onsite for food or drink (it feels more like a grand B&B).

The Old Mitre pub down the road is a ggod place to get some good honest and reasonably priced food but it is cash only.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed November 16, 2011

this is a beautiful house, you could spend a day just looking around it and still miss something. full of character. the best english breakfast ever. delicious and kept me going all day. lovely lady who even posted some personal belongings on to me that i had left behind. we have relatives in wolverhampton and will look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple