“Wolverhampton Gem”
Review of York Hotel

York Hotel
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Wolverhampton
Reviewed 30 September 2011

ve stayed here twice now and will be booking again.
Friendly relaxed professional staff throughout the hotel,who were very approachable for a chat or query, service throughout was excellent, made me feel very welcome and looked after.
IIts a bonus not being able to hear other guests moving around, such a problem in other hotels I have stayed in
Decor throughout the hotel is very stylish modern and Individual, very clean everywhere.
Rooms are all individualy styled to a great standard with attention to detail,my bed was very comfortable and facilities great.
The bar and resturaunt comfortable and inviting,bar and resturaunt menu, prompt efficient service with good menu.
Breakfast choice is excellent, freshly cooked and high standard,

The hotel decor is very Indidual and made you want to linger, even the small courtyard is decorated and styled for comfort.

I cant fault this hotel, the location in leafy Tettenall is perfect 10 mins to centre.

I have already reccomended this hotel to others, think it would make a perfect venue for a wedding or celebration as the staff are just so lovely and look like they enjoy what they do

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank janeshka

Reviewed 1 August 2011

The basics were all there — a nice hot shower in a clean bathroom, a comfortable bed and peace and quiet. I paid for a single room but was given a twin which had plenty of room for me. Decor wasn't the freshest and I only got one loo roll! But these are small issues.

The breakfast was big and lovely, and nice to see decent veggie options. The staff were really friendly. Nice decor in the restaurant (plus there's an Indian next door! And a row of shops including Dominoes just down the road).

The Tettenhall Road is quite noisy so I'd advise asking for a room at the back of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for one at the back of the hotel to avoid road noise
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank surfergr1
Reviewed 26 May 2011

I came down with family for the Tough Guy run in January, it was our second year staying at the York Hotel. On both occasions we had a lovely time. The rooms were wonderful and the service was great. We thoroughly enjoyed our meals at the restaurants and found the hotel to be excellent value for money.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank sophialandells
Reviewed 21 May 2011

Stayed for only one night whilst playing in the Foremost PGA Golf Pros Championship nearby. The greating was extremely friendly and we were given details of keys and codes to enter the hotel if we were out late then showed to our room. Very comfortable with everything you would need for a short break: TV, kettle etc, trouser press, wi-fi, mini bar, and very nice modern en suite too with plenty of towels. The only slight critisism would be that the shower was quite feeble but plenty of hot water though. We had to ask for another toilet roll as there was only about a quarter of a roll left but the receptionist appologised and sorted it straight away.
Really nice bar and lounge area where a different girl served us all evening until about 11pm.
Breakfast in the morning was first class with a good choice of fresh fruit, juices, cereals, drinks as well as the fry up of course and lots of things on toast if required.
All in all a great place and great value for money.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank GOLFPROMrV1
Reviewed 27 March 2011

The dining facilities, service, quality of food and value for money was superb. The suite we had was in fact a self containd flat, with Double & Single en-suite rooms, with seperate Lounge and Kitchen - First Class, and excellent value for money.
Will stay there again if in the area.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wilsonholmes
Reviewed 18 March 2011

I should have really written this review in early 2010, however I was so angry I figured i should wait...better late than never right? In april 2009 was planning an overseas wedding in England for November 2009. i was based in Vancouver Canada at the time and was planning it all over the phone or email.

Finding a hotel for my wedding party was a must and location was important. i found the York hotel and was happy that it was rated well and was close to my wedding venue. They also offered a cottage which was ideal for me. So in April 2009 I called and made a query and found that rooms and the cottage were available.

i emailed the hotel and booked for 10-12 people, both rooms and the cottage. I got numerous emails back and forth that it was all booked and good to go. i even asked them if they wanted a deposit, but they declined stating it wasn't neccessary.

Leading up to the wedding the email trail shows confirmation for all that i required. When I called in late September to advise of my arrival dates and such I was told that the owner/manager had sold the cottage!!!! No one had the courtesy to call me and advise me of this!

Planning a wedding from 3000 miles away, planning a move to another continent is stressful enough so this was really shocking! i called the manager/owner and they advised that they had sold the cottage a month earlier and that they would have to just give me a room in the hotel instead. This is not what we had initially agreed to. I wanted the cottage so I had a place to relax to be with my family and have a home like feel. important aspects to any bride to be.

As I had no choice I reluctantly agreed. No they would not charge me for my room (not really a good compensation considering they outright lied to me about the cottage) and booked an additional room for other family members. No other compensation was provided.

During the stay a couple from my wedding party technically checked out from their room but had asked if they could keep their luggage there as the flight wasn't until the early afternoon. They were told this would be okay and no extra charge would be levied. At the end of my stay when i went to settle the bill, I was told that they did infact tag on another 50 pounds, charging them for the entire day!!!

As a consumer customer service is a very important to me as is honesty and integrity. These are all things I feel that the hotel clearly lacked then and lacks now. When looking on the website they are still advertising their cottage as an option....interesting! So really then it wasn't sold was it and i was clearly lied to! .The antics of the York hotel has definately left a bad taste in my mouth and I don't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010
5  Thank WestcoastGal75
Reviewed 11 February 2011

This was our third stay at the York Hotel, when we have stayed over after watching football. Would recommend it to anyone, as the place is clean, lovely breakfast and evening meal. Staff very helpful each time we have stayed.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple