“Best Breakfast in town”

Salvador's Deli Limited
Ranked #49 of 65 Restaurants in Wallingford
Cuisines: European, Deli
Reviewed May 30, 2018

Ended up going here by mistake but so glad we did. The food and service was excellent, you have to wait a little but thats because your food is freah and cooked after you order. Highly recommend

Date of visit: May 2018

Reviewed December 4, 2017

It's a shame that this place has gone massively downhill since the new owner came. Very rude, unhygienic looking, inexperienced staff with no manners or people skills. The food has changed massively and the things that are the same don't taste like they used to. The new theme is very random and doesn't suit Wallingford. Can't see it lasting long.

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed November 11, 2017

I went here for breakfast yesterday after not going in a long time. I had previously gone when it was still called Salvadors Deli and had a lovely lunch. It has now re branded as Cafe Americana for some reason (I assume new owners?) and it has gone massively downhill.

The board out front says they specialise in american breakfasts, emphasising their pancakes with maple syrup. My partner ordered these, and it turns out they don't actually use Maple Syrup but "Maple Flavoured Syrup". I know it sounds petty, but don't advertise one thing if you are going to serve something else entirely (the difference between the two is big if you compare them). The other american items were lacking, I only spotted Huevos Rancheros as an option and the rest was your standard breakfast items. I ordered the large full english which was fine, but nothing special. They say it's the best full English in Wallingford but I can only assume that is an accolade they have given themselves.

The staff seemed a little unfriendly, not warm and welcoming as I remembered which is a real shame.

I'd say if you want a quick coffee or sandwich to take away, this place is fine. But if you are wanting somewhere nice to have a relaxing brunch, I would avoid and go somewhere else in town.

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed November 9, 2017 via mobile

Popped in to have a coffee and very nearly didn’t stay to finish it. The owner/Manager was, frankly, bullying her staff. She had a very aggressive manner towards them. I was the only customer in there at the time and I don’t think she knew I was there. As soon as I made my presence known, she changed her attitude but I’d heard enough to get an idea of what she’s like and how she treats people when she thinks she’s out of earshot of anybody. Her staff turnover must be huge. A really unpleasant environment to sit and have a coffee in.

It’s a shame because this used to be a fantastic little deli/café. I would also rather support small independent businesses in a town where more chains are taking over but there are other independent cafés in Wallingford who will get my business in the future.

Date of visit: November 2017
1  Thank emmabD4583AC
Reviewed August 11, 2017

Such a shame that what was a lovely little deli has now been taken over by unfriendly, inexperienced staff.

Ordered sandwiches and drinks. The food is prepared and handled with bare hands, money taken, then sandwich completed, by a young girl whose apron was filthy. Why is it that food preparation is not done using disposable gloves. A bacon and Brie sandwich,using crispy bacon strips, not fresh bacon, put in front of you without a serviette.

Staff very inexperienced and dont have a clue. If the woman making the drinks, wearing the hat, is the owner, then come on, please, when you bring the drinks over a hello would be nice not "who's having what", in a miserable, uncaring voice. You have a lot of competition in Wallingford and you need to up your people skills. We don't expect to have to clear the tables ourselves, your only a small cafe and the signage you have on each table asking us to do your job is very annoying! I am not aware of this being the trend in Wallingford, especially when you have 4 staff standing around.

Market day is one of the busiest coffee mornings, when people meet up. So it will be back to one of the other more welcoming and efficient cafes for us.!!!!

Date of visit: August 2017