“Very good food, shame decor a bit cheerless”
Review of Rajdutt

Rajdutt
Ranked #22 of 70 Restaurants in Uckfield
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed November 3, 2018

Our party arrived to a very warm, friendly welcome so we felt that it’s a great shame that the mint green décor and stark overhead lighting makes the large dining area feel a bit cold and cheerless – particularly on a relatively quiet midweek evening. The interior really would benefit from warmer colours and low level lighting or candles.

We began with poppadums and the relish tray while we pored over the extensive menu. The menu choice is wide and varied with all the usual favourites and some that I haven’t tried before. I have to say that everything was beautifully cooked. At OTHER local Indian restaurants, I have had a few disappointing experiences in recent months with food swimming in ghee and bland sauces that taste of very little other than curry spice.

This meal at the Rajdutt restored my love of Indian food with each dish having its own unique flavour and although moist and succulent with generously portioned sauces to mop up with fresh Nan bread, there was none of the off-putting oil swimming on the plate.

Having skipped lunch, we all got a little bit carried away with food but this means I can recommend most of the vegetable Bhajees. Certainly, vegetarians are well catered for with a much greater choice than I have been offered elsewhere.

Prices are a little more expensive than several other local Indian restaurants – £0.50 on starters/sides and between £1 and £2 on mains. However, I would rather pay this for the superior experience that I had at the Rajdutt.

Ordering wine was a bit hit or miss as two choices were not available. That said, my friend is perhaps in the minority, drinking wine with a curry.

We shall definitely return.

Date of visit: October 2018

Reviewed August 29, 2018

Excellent food, did the classics really well and tasty specialties too. Will definitely use Rajdutt again and recommend to anyone as a solid option.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed July 1, 2018

Had a lovely meal on Saturday night and we will shall definitely go back, however it was somewhat strange to see, (especially in this extreme heat), that a certain customer was wearing a hoody in the restaurant. It would appear that dress codes seem to be more flexible in the Rajdutt, so I'm thinking I might wear beachwear in the winter.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed March 23, 2018

The perfect place for a great meal and extremely good service. The staff are so friendly and helpful.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed March 9, 2018

We went to the Rajdutt Tandoori, Uckfield for their Sunday buffet in a party of 12 people. Being a serve-yourself buffet makes it a whole lot easier when you have a big group of people: you can all get up at the same time and help yourself to exactly what you like. There was a reasonable choice, although a couple of items were getting low by 1.00 pm. However, there was still lots available and I think most of us felt that the food was good and quite tasty, with a reasonable choice from mild to hot. It's not the best Indian food in the area (in my opinion) but very adequate and good value for the price. I would think that we will return.

Date of visit: March 2018