“What a great place for breakfast ”
Review of Winking Prawn

Winking Prawn
Ranked #19 of 46 Restaurants in Salcombe
Price range: US$9 - US$32
Cuisines: Barbecue, Seafood
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Big buckets of prawns, juicy steaks, fish dishes and breakfast buffets, ice creams, teas, coffees and even our own brand of locally brewed beer, the Winking Prawn’s style of shabby chic beach restaurant and cafe has been enjoying life at North Sands in Salcombe for more than 20 years. Sandy toes and salty paws are welcome come rain or shine for breakfast, lunch and dinner (but don’t forget to book in the evenings and keep an eye out for seasonal opening times). In the summer we also have a barbecue in the garden to enjoy as the sun goes down, and our dressing up box is legendary for bringing out your inner pirate, mermaid or fairy princess no matter how old you are. Opening times are seasonal, please take a look at our website for more information.
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

Visiting with our young family we were hugely impressed by this place. A terrific buffet breakfast, a great flat white , kid friendly environment,good value and very friendly staff made for a memorable and enjoyable breakfast. The best place in the area for brunch.

Alex W, Guest Relations Manager at Winking Prawn, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2018

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review! We hope you will come back and see us again soon! xx

Write a ReviewReviews (1,291)

Reviewed April 4, 2018

One person at the counter , taking orders and preparing the teas and coffees, so quite a long wait there.
Buffet breakfast, the black pudding was like a biscuit, the fried potatoes were very similar. Mushrooms a bit tired. The rest was OK. Didn't feel I would want to return.

2  Thank Mandy C
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

Dinner on Easter Monday with utterly miserable manager and waitress. The food was generally overpriced and average but the £25 half lobster was the size of a single scampi: possibly the worst value dinner I have ever had, and I eat out a lot. If it were not for the great beach location, this place would have to buck its ideas up or go bust. Woeful.

1  Thank Paradise764951
Alex W, Guest Relations Manager at Winking Prawn, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us, I am truly sorry to hear that you did not enjoy it. Our lobster usually gets very positive feedback, particularly regarding the portion sizes, so I am surprised to hear you were not happy. I am unclear if your dissatisfaction was something you mentioned to the team at the time of your visit. We always endeavour to make amends with any customer complaints at the time, as it is so much more difficult to do so at a later point. Nonetheless, on the basis of your review we will of course look at our portion sizes regarding the lobster, but at the very least I am pleased to hear that you liked the location. I hope you enjoyed he rest of your Easter break.

Reviewed April 1, 2018 via mobile

Ready for a late lunch our party of 6 (4local) were 'seduced' by an appealing selection of fish/shellfish dishes , baguettes wraps etc.,! Sadly the seduction ended when the poorly presented dishes arrived beds of beans peas & chickpeas buried under leaves made a base for cajun chicken which came sliced and cold with mango chutney not mango salsa as expected ... Tepid scallops and chunks of bacon did not work either with the above salad , no finger bowl either for use peeling prawns .. just the offer of wipes when asked , eventually a kiddies bucket was produced !! Table staff friendly but counter staff quite unwelcoming , hope we got you on a bad day ... !!!! A very different experience from 2 years ago !

4  Thank Dinah D

Hi Dinah,

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit, I am really very sorry to hear that it wasn't as you had hoped and that your orders were not as you would have presented them. I am unclear as to whether there was something wrong with your meal or simply that you didn't like it, but either way I hope you mentioned it to a member of staff at the time as we always do our best to try to rectify any issues.

Regarding the finger bowl, again, we do tend to offer wipes at lunchtime, however as mentioned, if asked then we are always happy to present a bowl if preferred. The bucket that appears to have offended you is merely our way of presenting lunchtime paraphernalia including knives and forks, as you will have seen on other tables, and its use as a finger bowl seems fitting in keeping with our 'beach shack' theme - it is a point of styling rather than a slight against your request.

Regarding the staff, our team are a lovely group of individuals who work very hard in what is often a very busy environment in peak periods, so I am susprised to hear that you did not find them welcoming. Perhaps you visited at a particularly busy moment and misconstrued their intent.

Regardless of the details, I am sorry that you did not enjoy your visit to us, and I do hope that, should you return, you have a better experience next time.

Reviewed April 1, 2018 via mobile

We were given 2 options of dinner 6 or 8
We chose 6
A bit early but I’d rather eat earlier than later
We arrived at 5.45 and walked in on a very wet and windy day
We approached the staff and told them that we arrived
Immediately we’re told you need to vacate the table at 7.30
As the table was booked again
Most annoying
I don’t like being told how quickly we need to eat
Anyway not needed because the speed at we we were served was incredible
This was our 2nd visit to TWP and our last visit 2years ago was delightful
Ok it was August bank holiday and the weather was better but now hint of being hurried along
However the food was good and we were out and on our way by 7.15
Note to staff
Don’t drill your customers about time limitations
It’s not good for the digestion or for your reviews on places like this
Probably wouldn’t come again in a hurry

1  Thank Johneroberts59