“Best place to stay on the Fylde Coast”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Rooms

and 1 more site!
The Rooms
Cardiff
“Best place to stay on the Fylde Coast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

I was recommended the Rooms by a colleague, who is a regular guest. Since staying there myself, I've never been back to my previous favourite place to stay in Lytham.

The rooms are very comfortable, and well appointed, with lovely wet rooms and lots of hot water. The breakfast is superb - the eggs benedict and a fruit smoothie is a great way to start the day, but all of the breakfast options I have tried are lovely.

I stay regularly for business, but my wife is determined that we'll stay one night, so she can try the eggs benedict for herself!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Launceston, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2011

My wife and I stayed here for one night on our way up the West Coast of the UK during our honeymoon. We were travelling from Bath on a Friday. We had a grand plan to head to Chester to see the zoo before continuing our journey to our accommodation. We started out driving through part of Wales on the B roads until we were diverted because of road works. This put us behind schedule but I still thought we could get to Chester in plenty of time. Unfortunately I was very wrong. We were diverted for a second time and then we got a little lost trying to get back onto the motorway. By the time we got on the motorway it was raining and it was also rush hour. We got stuck in traffic for what seemed like an eternity between Manchester and Liverpool.

By the time we got to Lytham Saint Annes it was dark and raining. I had printed out the directions to The Rooms (35 Church Road Lytham) from google maps and was pretty sure I could get there without much trouble, but again I was wrong. It seems I hadn't taken into account the fact that Lytham Saint Annes are two different towns and they of course both have a church street. Google had gotten mixed up as well. If you type in "35 Church Road Lytham" you don't always get the correct address, which is what happened to me.

After driving around for ages and calling the accommodation and getting directions we finally got there. We hadn't got to Chester and we had certainly not gone the way we wanted, but we got there, very late.

We were greeted by Andy and Jackie who welcomed us in and gave us a drink while we told them of our horror day on the road. They were very nice people.

They showed us to our room (first door on the left up the stairs) and it was amazing. The room was modern and very comfortable. We both liked the ensuite and the shower was one of the best we have seen. It was an absolute shame that we were only staying here for one night. There was tea and coffee in the rooms and there was free wireless internet.

The next morning was a beautiful day. We went downstairs to the breakfast room and took a seat. The room was absolutely immaculate and modern. Andy is a professional chef so the food was top class. We both had eggs benedict (I had never had it before), it was to die for. Andy can cook, that is for sure!

I would recommend staying here to anyone, the accommodation is top notch and the hosts are very nice.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
northerner abroad
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

I've stayed here a number of times and it never disappoints - everything is reliably up to standard each time. It's in the perfect position for me as it's just steps away from the shops. It's quiet, which is important, and the bed, bedding and pillows are just like home. The choice at breakfast should please just about everyone. I love it and will be back .... when my card has recovered.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Finoula
Cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

What a fabulous hotel, wonderful welcome, stuuning room (we stayed in number one) and breakfast, well, never had anything like it, so many choices you really wanted to stay a week to try them all!! Many, many thanks!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2011

Four of us have just stayed two nights at The Rooms and must say that it really is an excellent find. Well appointed rooms, great location for Lytham, lovely hospitality from Andy and Jackie and the best breakfast ever.
Really loved it - really relaxing - really great break!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
High Wycombe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2010

I'm normaly not a great fan of staying in hotels in British sea-side towns from past experience. However The Rooms were a very pleasant departure from the norm.

The B&B is a sizeable Victorian house about 2 minutes walk from the centre of Lytham with its good restaurants and tidy sea front. There proved to be no problem parking on the road outside (at least in October) .

On arrival I was made to feel very welcome by the very friendly owners and offered a beer or wine. In contrast to the Victorian exterior, the interior is decorated to the latest styles and only contains a handful of rooms. My room had a 40" flat screen TV / DVD player, iPod dock, WiFi, electronically controlled mood lighting, wet room with drench shower and separate personal shower head (no bath, which is not a problem for me). There were also tea and coffee facilities in the room with free bottled water and buscuits replaced each day. Despite my room facing the main road little noise got through the modern glazing.

Given the location of The Rooms, the fact that it is B&B rather than a full service hotel should not be a problem to anyone because of the range of local restaurants in easy walking distance. I do not believe they have a lift, so bear that in mind if you have a disability.

Their speciality is their breakfast and can provide a lot of personally tailored breakfast options. I had their fruit smoothies and cooked breakfast - don't expect large portions, the emphasis is on the quality of the food rather than shear quantity - though I suspect if you want more they will be happy to oblige.

Yes this will cost you more than a normal B&B, but I regard it as a stylish and personal alternative to a higher-end modern hotel rather than competing directly with your average B&B.

I have already recommended it to my work colleagues should they be visiting the area.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
MrAndMrsCCMrAndMrsCC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2010

We booked to stay in The Other Rooms as we like having the extra space when traveling with the children. We were impressed with the pictures of The Other rooms so were very much looking forward to our trip.
When we first entered the townhouse there was a big black bin bag full of dirty laundry next to the front door which my partner then later carried to the owners car which didn't seem professional to me.
We then had a good look round when we were alone and was shocked by the standards!! The living room coffee table was chipped and scratched. The front of the dishwasher had fallen off. Every glass we tried to use was filthy. There was an actual hole in the kitchen window. Sorry, the list is quite long. There were cobwebs and mould in the middle floor shower room. Sweet wrappers, built up dirt and more cobwebs were in the corners of the bedroom. Wardrobe doors and the top floor bedroom door were cracked and smashed. And finally all the bed linen had stains on which topped everything off nicely.
We then went to see the owners to bring this to their attention which wasn't well received by the gentleman owner. We were basically told that if we weren't happy, don't stay there. At this point I would like to point out that we are not serial moaners but thought the issues were quite big ones that would be hard to ignore. The owner then agreed to come and look for himself but again, there wasn't much he could do if we weren't happy.
Upon him seeing for himself the state of the house he quickly changed his attitude and was very apologetic. He even went as far as to thank us for bringing this to his attention as he wouldn't have known which I find strange that he doesn't do regular checks on all the premises anyway. He said he would arrange a cleaner to come the following morning and deducted some money off the bill which we settled for as there wasn't really any other options available at such short notice.
He did stick to his word and the apartment was cleaned but there was yet another bag of dirty laundry at the entrance which was left there throughout our 5 day stay.
All in all I would that say when The Other Rooms were 1st opened they were of high quality but now they just look very tired, rundown and neglected. I can only say this about this particular townhouse that we were allocated as I did not see the rest. For the money we were spending we expected so much more so were really let down by this experience. I will not be recommending The Rooms to anyone and will certainly not be going back there next year. For one, I like my windows to be free from holes!!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family