“Over the top”

Ranked #6 of 123 Restaurants in Lymington
Cuisines: French, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Quintessentially British, with a sprinkling of French. The Elderflower is the new restaurant for food lovers on a cobbled Quay Street in the heart of Lymington, the beautiful Georgian town sited between the New Forest district of Hampshire and the West Solent. Head Chef Patron Andrew Du Bourg (formerly Head Chef at 5* Chewton Glen hotel and Michelin starred Club Gascon, London) will prepare modern British food with a sprinkling of French using locally sourced produce from land and sea.
Reviewed April 4, 2018

Nice welcome. Disappointed there were no vegetarian choices. The chef came up with a dish but again no choice or consultation, take it or leave it I think. Not impressed with the starter Sea Trout Tartare, minuscule and looked like something the cat brought up garnished with whisky seaweed. My main course, Crab Lasagna, again very small sample and quite disappointing really.
The desserts were excellent! Lemon Meringue Soufflé and a RhubarbTerrine, to die for!
We disliked the overattention of the hovering staff and thought the white gloves to handle the plates a bit off.
It was a very expensive experience - £120 for the two of us particularly when we left still feeling hungry.

5  Thank Copperredglaze
adb0314, Owner at The Elderflower Lymington, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2018

Dear Copperredglaze,
It is unfortunate that you did not enjoy your experience at the Elderflower. It is even more unfortunate that you did not raise any of these issues whilst in the restaurant, when we could have offered something to improve your evening. You were checked on at every point during your meal and not once did you make any comments of disappointment. I apologise if this seemed like ‘over attention’ but it allows us a chance to interact with our guests and insure they’re enjoying their time with us.

It is true, we do not have vegetarian options on our menu and we never have. We find that we do not have enough of a demand to provide a vegetarian menu and, as we operate a zero waste kitchen, we would find ourselves throwing away an unacceptable amount of food. Our chef is always happy to provide vegetarian dishes and we always give the guests a chance to let us know if there is anything they don’t like or would prefer to avoid.

I find it surprising that you would comment on the price of your meal as you were dining with a voucher and, therefore, not paying for your evening at all. May I add that your voucher had also expired so we were under no obligation to accept its use in the first place, but did so in order for you not to waste your gift. If you were expecting to receive money back if you didn’t reach your voucher allowance, it clearly states in the terms and conditions of the reverse of the voucher that no change can be given.

With regards to the portion sizes, all our dishes are weighed to insure consistency and accuracy when costing. It is a catch 22 in this situation as if our portions were larger; the price tag would reflect this. We do not compromise on quality when sourcing ingredients, everything from our fruit and veg to our meat and fish is of top quality. You get what you pay for.

We appreciate the time you took to provide your honest feedback, we’ll take your comments on board and we hope to be able to welcome you on a different occasion.

Kind regards,
Marjolaine Du Bourg
Restaurant Director

Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

Easter Sunday dinner was just delicious
One of our sons was vegetarian, he was told chef would surprise him and he did !!
Our son loved every course so different from other restaurants
We all can’t wait to return

Thank you to all staff who were excellent

1  Thank mdtm2015
Reviewed April 1, 2018 via mobile

Booked an 8.30 table for my husband's birthday and it was quiet but cosy (Thursday) in the restaurant. He decided to have the 7 course taster menu and everything from the homemade bread and caramelized butter to the last bit of desert (including a lovely Sancerre) was perfect. In fact he said it's the best meal he's ever had and we've already booked to go back with his parents. Looking forward to it!

1  Thank Amy M
Reviewed April 1, 2018

Soo disappointed with my meal on Friday evening. The staff were delightful and service was efficient. My husband and I went for the 5 course tasting menu and the first 3 courses were delicious but the meat course of hanger steak was very tough so I didn't eat it. When the waitress cleared our plates she said didn't I enjoy it. I replied that it wasn't a cut of steak that I was familiar with but was it meant to be tough. She replied that no, it should be tender and she would let the kitchen know. Our dessert was then served by the lady I think was one of the owners who made no reference to my issue with the steak which surprised me but when I asked her about it she merely said that was how it was meant to be. Such a shame that I feel this was handled so badly . Even if she thought I was totally in the wrong I feel most restaurants would have asked if they could get me something else or offered a complimentary drink or a token gesture of some sort. Such a shame as it could have been handled so much better.

3  Thank Stephso41

Dear Stephso41,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the Elderflower both on TripAdvisor and Facebook, you’ve truly made your feelings clear. I would like to thank you for your praise of the staff and service, we pride ourselves on being a professional and knowledgeable team and I’m glad you recognised this.

That being said, we feel your rating of one star is rather unfair. You said yourself that the first three courses were delicious, couple this with your lovely comments on the service and we struggle to understand how a ‘terrible’ rating is justified. There was also the final course of rhubarb terrine which you said you thoroughly enjoyed.

It is a shame that you did not enjoy the hanger steak main course of your tasting menu; we had no other negative comments regarding the quality of the steak. In fact, one couple claimed it to be the nicest cut of steak they’d ever sampled. Our head chef tried your steak and there was nothing wrong with it. It was not tough. As explained to you by myself, the cut does have more texture than something like a fillet, but it was by no means tough or ‘impossible to cut’ as you claimed whilst at the restaurant.

If you felt we dealt with your issue badly, I apologise, however we are not the type of establishment to give away our products at a cost to us simply because a dish was not to your taste.

Kind regards,
Marjolaine Du Bourg
Restaurant Director

Reviewed April 1, 2018 via mobile

Had the most fabulous lunch Oysters were extraordinary and the crab fritters just superb

The Elderflower team are superb hosts Very welcoming and knowledgeable

The food just gets better and better. Our scallop and crab hot dog in a home made squid ink bun was fantastic and so different to the usual you see in restaurants

I cannot recommend highly enough. It’s just outstanding. And we have high standards. Elderflower always sets the bar

We will be back soon