“Good rides for our young kids and amazing shows”
Review of Pleasurewood Hills

and up
Pleasurewood Hills
Ranked #15 of 34 things to do in Lowestoft
More attraction details
Owner description: Set within 50 acres of enclosed coastal parkland and just 10mins from the seaside town of Great Yarmouth, Pleasurewood Hills Family Theme Park has so much to do and explore, visitors can whizz around on the HYPER DRIVE dodgems NEW for 2015 the 11th new attraction in just 5 years! Experience a ride on the Marble Madness rollercoaster or jump onboard Wipeout, the tallest, fastest and most extreme roller coaster in the East of England! Get soaked on Timber Falls log flume, enjoy some family fun in the Kiddie Zone or simply relax and enjoy fantastic shows with The Sea Lions and our Playful Parrots. We also offers a wide selection of places to eat and drink which include Christines Tea Room, Flying Fish, Porky's Pantry and an alfresco style Terrace Cafe/Bar the Merry Mariner. Where possible we use locally sourced fresh and healthy ingredients for a delicious choice of food and drinks that provide customers with a great value nutritious meal. So, whether you're an adrenaline thrill ride seeker or looking for an exciting fun packed day out full of precious family memories, Pleasurewood Hills has it all, it's fab fun for everyone!!
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed August 20, 2018

We visited whilst on holiday in Lowestoft and took advantage of the NHS discount for our 2 adults and 2 kids (6yrs and 7yrs).
We arrived at opening and left after the last ride closed, a full and enjoyable day.
There were some queues but we were never waiting very long. We rode everything that we wanted to and that our kids heights allowed them to - in some cases we did so more than once.
The park is not huge and the map is good so we were able to move around and tick off everything without too much problem.
The shows were brilliant, we made a point of seeing each one and ended up watching the High Dive show twice - it was absolutely brilliant.
We arrived with drinks and a picnic so we can't comment on the food but we did treat ourselves to an ice cream each at one point and they were reasonably priced.
The staff were friendly and our discounted tickets meant to had great value and a brilliant day out.
The kids thought it was superb and were very disappointed when we left.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,001)
All reviews
in 23 reviews
"ghost train"
in 20 reviews

Reviewed August 19, 2018

WASPS, WASPS, WASPS. Wow is an understatement. You know something has gone wrong when a 17, 16 and 13 year old ask if we can not return the following day and would prefer to go swimming or just to the beach!

Apparently there have been 3 major wasps nests within Pleasurewood Hills that aren't being treated effectively. There are dozens and dozens of wasp-catchers around the park but it's not effective. I must have been pestered 30 times or more. People in queues flapping their arms, people watching the diving show and children and adults flapping and running around trying to shoo them away.

Pleasurewood Hills has lost lots of rides over the last 3 years that haven't been replaced. After purchasing 4 x 7 day passes for £30 each online and arriving at 10am, we were shocked to be greeted by long queues with nobody gaining entry. After 25 minutes of waiting around and people getting angry in the queues, they eventually started letting people in. We eventually made it to one of the 4 check-in desks after 1 hour and 20 minutes. I gave my name, the cashier couldn't find it so we were sent to reception where an envelope was waiting for us and where we were supposed to have gone, if only we had been told, although we would have had to queue up again. The lady in reception agreed to print off our wristbands otherwise we would have had another 45+ minute wait.

I'm disabled, my 3 children aren't and they always run off and get onto a few rides before I've had time to catch up. I parked in the disabled spot that isn't clearly marked out, in fact it's the furthest point from the disabled toilet at the entrance, so it is closer to the toilet if you use the car park without the disabled section. The ground is also completely uneven, a non-powered wheelchair user would have great difficulty. You also have to walk across very uneven gravel to get to the disabled ramp to the toilet. The light in the toilet wasn't working, so it was pitch black inside and took a few minutes to adjust to the light. I reported this as a member of staff was approaching the toilets as I was exiting. He said that it must have tripped the electrics again and thanked me. I assumed that the electric 'trip switch' would be fixed later on in the day when I used it again. It wasn't done nor even by the end of the day.

Someone told me that there had been terrible reviews lately for Pleasurewood Hills and I'm not surprised. I also noticed that going back weeks, that other people have also mentioned that there was no lighting in more than one toilet block, what a dodgy trip-switch it must be. I made my way to the Wipeout rollercoaster where I expected to see my children on their 3rd or 4th ride. They were still waiting in the seats at Wipeout and had been waiting for nearly 20 minutes by this time, this was their first ride, nearly 2 hours after arriving! My children were very annoyed, especially as the two members of staff just milled about chatting. No friendly greeting like last year and the previous years before that and no explanation as to the 25 minute wait to start the ride, otherwise they would have gone on something else (if only it was open). Following this they wanted to go to the former boating/pedalo lake and chairlifts, so we walked almost all the way down there to be greeted by a sign saying that the chairlifts wouldn't be open until 12 o clock and having to walk by the defunct theatre. It was gone 12 and the chairlifts still weren't opened. The pedalo/boating lake ride no longer exists, nor does the cannonball express (Snake in the grass) roller coaster and the good dodgem ride down there has also been removed. The chairlifts have only 1 operator on each end now instead of 2, so every other seat is empty, doubling the 30 minute waiting time. The Wave Express has only had 1 member of staff operating it for the last 3 years, so one side is permanently out of use, again doubling the 25 minute wait to 50 minutes.

The theatre no longer has any shows and is permanently closed. The characters that used to walk around the park greeting children have gone (Woody and other characters). Marble Madness coaster took 45 minutes to queue, the log flume took at least that. Ice creams are £2.95 for a single scoop or £3.95 for a salted caramel flavour. The all you can eat pizza/pasta is £13 per adult and £9 per child, a very expensive £44 lunch that we didn't bother with. Tesco is right next door, a 2 minute drive or 5 minute walk. Ice creams are between £1 or £2 for 4, much better than the £15.80 it would have cost for 1 each. The large train wasn't working (again), there have been lots of other complaints on Trip Advisor about it. The sign saying the ride is closed all day doesn't mean it's being fixed as the sign will be there the following day as it wasn't fixed yesterday (19th August 2018).

All in all, a huge disappointment. People have complained that the manager Adam has been sarcastic when replying to complaints online. My guess is that he either works for a competitor (secretly) and is deliberately running Pleasurewood Hills into the ground, or the staff have been told to deliberately be awkward and keep people waiting for 45 minutes to get on a ride for no reason other than staff wanting to chat on their mobiles phones, so that the park can be either put into administration (bankruptcy) OR so that someone else can bid and purchase Pleasurewood Hills in the hope that they can turn it into a theme park that people will once again enjoy.

I wish I'd got Season tickets for Pleasure Beach in Great Yarmouth for 11am-9pm rather than the 12pm to 5pm that it is actually open. Some ride operators also start telling people from 4.20pm that it is the last ride. The 10am-6pm (8 hours) advertised when I purchased online didn't say that it was really for 5 hours only (45 minute wait to get in, 12 noon for 1st ride and closing at 5pm) and that all the rides would have double the normal wait time as they were deliberately understaffed again, in peak season.

The high dive show was okay as long as you're not over the age of 7 or 8 as there is audience participation, you know, give yourselves a clap for being here, no, I can't hear you, clap louder than that. The park was closing at 5pm so I assumed the 5pm diving show wouldn't be on and we went to an earlier show. However, the diving show is the ONLY attraction that actually starts when the park closes. Had we have known this, my children would have got on an extra ride instead of queuing for 40 minutes before the diving show in the afternoon.

So, overall, very, very poor and not a patch on their previous service or years This new manager has been there since January 2017 and the run-down dilapidated 'theme' park is certainly going to put Pleasurewood Hills into receivership. You can't delay entry for over an hour, supply a really poor service, close lots of rides without notice and only have a skeleton staff to cover 2 operator rides with 1 person and not expect that the normal 40-60 minute for a ride can be double that. I think I'd like the majority of my money back. Tide Traveller (Twister) was removed 3 years ago and isn't replaced.

This park would be okay for people that love to wait around for no reason and if you're under 11 years of age. For older children, disabled guests and people wishing to get on more than 4 or 5 rides throughout the whole day need to go to a proper business that does care about its clientele. I won't be booking 7 day passes again and would be hard pushed to want to return. The new 'management' is entirely ineffective and they don't tell people in 45-90 minute queues that their credit-card machine wasn't working and left people to wait until they had reached the ticket booth and were turned away. LOTS OF ANGRY PEOPLE with constant conversations overheard about how poor the park now is and what a huge disappointment it is. You could read this review in its entirety 3 or 4 times over before getting onto a ride at Pleasurewood Hills. I just feel that I've been taken for a ride!!!!!

5  Thank Unhappylongqueues
Reviewed August 19, 2018

Went here yesterday with 2 young children ( under 10) No overlong queues nice relaxed atmosphere and we did have a great day out but the park itself looked a bit dated and tired.It was strange that some rides were not open until later in the day and a few were closed altogether. Great that the park is family friendly with rides for all ages and the children managed to try every ride they wanted and we saw 3 shows. The children had already chosen Tony’s pizza and pasta restaurant before we arrived but this had to be the biggest disappointment of the day. Advertised as brand new, mouth watering all you can eat buffet we were expecting great things and at £44 for 2children +2adults not a cheap option. Once we had paid we were left to find our own table and go to the food area. It was not busy but there were now only 2 slices of pizza left and one dried out container of pasta. We asked for some fresh pasta of which there is only one choice and one sauce. It was brought out and poured into the container on top of the already dried out leftover pasta. The salad area should have looked pristine but again looked like leftovers which needed refreshing. Fresh pizza was bought out and was tasty and very cheesy but because there had been a delay there was a rush by everybody to the counter and no one remained to explain flavours etc or wipe down or refresh the food counters The only drinks included are from a generic fizzy drinks dispenser. No tea/ coffee or other drinks unless you go to the bar and pay extra. The bar itself had a huge stack of dirty dishes left on the end and nobody waiting to serve. Would bring the children to the park again as they did have a great day out but would certainly not be using Tony’s as the lunch option.

Reviewed August 18, 2018 via mobile

We have visited many times in the past and have thoroughly enjoyed our visits however felt this years visit was very disappointing. The park seems to have lots it’s flare, no atmosphere a shadow of its formal self. Many of the rides have gone and not been replaced. The far end of the park definitely needs some attention and money spent on it, my son use to love the rattlesnake rollercoaster this has now gone and not been replaced! What has happened to Woody?? We would always see him around the park and miss the parades they use to do of all the characters.
The non rider ticket is a good idea providing the attractions you can use are open, unfortunately the miniature railway was not up and running and could only use the chairlifts after 12noon.
However we did enjoy the shows espcially the high dive stunt show but not sure if we would return next year unless new attractions are added.

3  Thank Bexwilts