“Wasted day standing queuing for nearly an hour when they hadn’t opened all the tills”
Review of Pleasurewood Hills

and up
Pleasurewood Hills
Ranked #15 of 23 things to do in Lowestoft
More attraction details
Owner description: Set within 50 acres of enclosed coastal parkland and just 10mins from the seaside town of Great Yarmouth, Pleasurewood Hills Family Theme Park has so much to do and explore, visitors can whizz around on the HYPER DRIVE dodgems NEW for 2015 the 11th new attraction in just 5 years! Experience a ride on the Marble Madness rollercoaster or jump onboard Wipeout, the tallest, fastest and most extreme roller coaster in the East of England! Get soaked on Timber Falls log flume, enjoy some family fun in the Kiddie Zone or simply relax and enjoy fantastic shows with The Sea Lions and our Playful Parrots. We also offers a wide selection of places to eat and drink which include Christines Tea Room, Flying Fish, Porky's Pantry and an alfresco style Terrace Cafe/Bar the Merry Mariner. Where possible we use locally sourced fresh and healthy ingredients for a delicious choice of food and drinks that provide customers with a great value nutritious meal. So, whether you're an adrenaline thrill ride seeker or looking for an exciting fun packed day out full of precious family memories, Pleasurewood Hills has it all, it's fab fun for everyone!!
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed August 21, 2018 via mobile

Would not recommend at all , total waste of a day
I’ve now been standing hear approaching 55 min and still not in , such a shame when young children get out of car excited to be going on the rides and they are understaffed , people in cue behind me have now left and gone home .

3  Thank G694RUchristinec
Write a ReviewReviews (2,002)
All reviews
in 23 reviews
"ghost train"
in 20 reviews

Reviewed August 20, 2018 via mobile

Rubbish !! Wouldn't waste your money ,my 7 year old could only go on a few rides only added a few new rides since I went when I was a child over 15 years ago all they sell is junk food and sweets we o my wanted a sandwich or a snack will definatly not be goin back and to think I paid not far off £100 for 5 of us

5  Thank Grant W
Reviewed August 20, 2018 via mobile

We went with four children (4,6,8,12). The park offers a good range of rides for all ages, clearly not in an Alton towers league but for the reasonable cost and much quieter queues it’s a reasonable day out.

Downsides:

1. Wasps- there are wasps everywhere this summer but their really are too many and during the day I saw several children screaming after being stung.. the staff here aren’t trained in what to do, how to help and are useless..

2. Food outlets. It’s all junk and fizzy drinks, water is impossible to get hold of, certainly no fountains. We ate at Tony’s pizza and pasta buffet.. imagine the thickest bases with cold and congealed toppings served with a variety of wasps buzzing around and you’re fairly close.. add in the hunt for a clean glass and plate, the horrendous heat because it’s a tin shed and they close the doors and you can get a picture of it. In other places like Alton towers and legoland this sort of restaurant would be rammed but Tony’s at 1:30pm in August had just 12 other diners. Perhaps anyone that has ever eaten there has chosen to carry a picnic basket around all day rather than part with almost as much as the entrance fee.

3. The staff.. now all their staff should be sent off to Southend to adventure island where they know how to put on a smiley face and look like they actually want to be there rather the the miserable grumpy faces on the staff here... perhaps they have to eat the food?!?

When I asked to speak to someone at the restaurant in charge I was greeted with a I have no idea face and told that the manager walks around the park and there is no way of contacting them- apart from presumably bumping into him or her!!
Upsides:

1. It’s a good price- you can pick up discount leaflets locally and overall you can get in for around £14 per person.

2. Ride times- little rides have c10 mins queue, bigger ones 30-40 mins but in August it’s all fairly reasonable.

3. Free parking- unlike Merlins who make billions from making you pay for parking.

In summary, perfectly nice day out for the family that doesn’t break the bank. But bring your own food and water..

1  Thank Kelly A
Reviewed August 20, 2018

We visited whilst on holiday in Lowestoft and took advantage of the NHS discount for our 2 adults and 2 kids (6yrs and 7yrs).
We arrived at opening and left after the last ride closed, a full and enjoyable day.
There were some queues but we were never waiting very long. We rode everything that we wanted to and that our kids heights allowed them to - in some cases we did so more than once.
The park is not huge and the map is good so we were able to move around and tick off everything without too much problem.
The shows were brilliant, we made a point of seeing each one and ended up watching the High Dive show twice - it was absolutely brilliant.
We arrived with drinks and a picnic so we can't comment on the food but we did treat ourselves to an ice cream each at one point and they were reasonably priced.
The staff were friendly and our discounted tickets meant to had great value and a brilliant day out.
The kids thought it was superb and were very disappointed when we left.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 19, 2018

WASPS, WASPS, WASPS. Wow is an understatement. You know something has gone wrong when a 17, 16 and 13 year old ask if we can not return the following day and would prefer to go swimming or just to the beach!

Apparently there have been 3 major wasps nests within Pleasurewood Hills that aren't being treated effectively. There are dozens and dozens of wasp-catchers around the park but it's not effective. I must have been pestered 30 times or more. People in queues flapping their arms, people watching the diving show and children and adults flapping and running around trying to shoo them away.

Pleasurewood Hills has lost lots of rides over the last 3 years that haven't been replaced. After purchasing 4 x 7 day passes for £30 each online and arriving at 10am, we were shocked to be greeted by long queues with nobody gaining entry. After 25 minutes of waiting around and people getting angry in the queues, they eventually started letting people in. We eventually made it to one of the 4 check-in desks after 1 hour and 20 minutes. I gave my name, the cashier couldn't find it so we were sent to reception where an envelope was waiting for us and where we were supposed to have gone, if only we had been told, although we would have had to queue up again. The lady in reception agreed to print off our wristbands otherwise we would have had another 45+ minute wait.

I'm disabled, my 3 children aren't and they always run off and get onto a few rides before I've had time to catch up. I parked in the disabled spot that isn't clearly marked out, in fact it's the furthest point from the disabled toilet at the entrance, so it is closer to the toilet if you use the car park without the disabled section. The ground is also completely uneven, a non-powered wheelchair user would have great difficulty. You also have to walk across very uneven gravel to get to the disabled ramp to the toilet. The light in the toilet wasn't working, so it was pitch black inside and took a few minutes to adjust to the light. I reported this as a member of staff was approaching the toilets as I was exiting. He said that it must have tripped the electrics again and thanked me. I assumed that the electric 'trip switch' would be fixed later on in the day when I used it again. It wasn't done nor even by the end of the day.

Someone told me that there had been terrible reviews lately for Pleasurewood Hills and I'm not surprised. I also noticed that going back weeks, that other people have also mentioned that there was no lighting in more than one toilet block, what a dodgy trip-switch it must be. I made my way to the Wipeout rollercoaster where I expected to see my children on their 3rd or 4th ride. They were still waiting in the seats at Wipeout and had been waiting for nearly 20 minutes by this time, this was their first ride, nearly 2 hours after arriving! My children were very annoyed, especially as the two members of staff just milled about chatting. No friendly greeting like last year and the previous years before that and no explanation as to the 25 minute wait to start the ride, otherwise they would have gone on something else (if only it was open). Following this they wanted to go to the former boating/pedalo lake and chairlifts, so we walked almost all the way down there to be greeted by a sign saying that the chairlifts wouldn't be open until 12 o clock and having to walk by the defunct theatre. It was gone 12 and the chairlifts still weren't opened. The pedalo/boating lake ride no longer exists, nor does the cannonball express (Snake in the grass) roller coaster and the good dodgem ride down there has also been removed. The chairlifts have only 1 operator on each end now instead of 2, so every other seat is empty, doubling the 30 minute waiting time. The Wave Express has only had 1 member of staff operating it for the last 3 years, so one side is permanently out of use, again doubling the 25 minute wait to 50 minutes.

The theatre no longer has any shows and is permanently closed. The characters that used to walk around the park greeting children have gone (Woody and other characters). Marble Madness coaster took 45 minutes to queue, the log flume took at least that. Ice creams are £2.95 for a single scoop or £3.95 for a salted caramel flavour. The all you can eat pizza/pasta is £13 per adult and £9 per child, a very expensive £44 lunch that we didn't bother with. Tesco is right next door, a 2 minute drive or 5 minute walk. Ice creams are between £1 or £2 for 4, much better than the £15.80 it would have cost for 1 each. The large train wasn't working (again), there have been lots of other complaints on Trip Advisor about it. The sign saying the ride is closed all day doesn't mean it's being fixed as the sign will be there the following day as it wasn't fixed yesterday (19th August 2018).

All in all, a huge disappointment. People have complained that the manager Adam has been sarcastic when replying to complaints online. My guess is that he either works for a competitor (secretly) and is deliberately running Pleasurewood Hills into the ground, or the staff have been told to deliberately be awkward and keep people waiting for 45 minutes to get on a ride for no reason other than staff wanting to chat on their mobiles phones, so that the park can be either put into administration (bankruptcy) OR so that someone else can bid and purchase Pleasurewood Hills in the hope that they can turn it into a theme park that people will once again enjoy.

I wish I'd got Season tickets for Pleasure Beach in Great Yarmouth for 11am-9pm rather than the 12pm to 5pm that it is actually open. Some ride operators also start telling people from 4.20pm that it is the last ride. The 10am-6pm (8 hours) advertised when I purchased online didn't say that it was really for 5 hours only (45 minute wait to get in, 12 noon for 1st ride and closing at 5pm) and that all the rides would have double the normal wait time as they were deliberately understaffed again, in peak season.

The high dive show was okay as long as you're not over the age of 7 or 8 as there is audience participation, you know, give yourselves a clap for being here, no, I can't hear you, clap louder than that. The park was closing at 5pm so I assumed the 5pm diving show wouldn't be on and we went to an earlier show. However, the diving show is the ONLY attraction that actually starts when the park closes. Had we have known this, my children would have got on an extra ride instead of queuing for 40 minutes before the diving show in the afternoon.

So, overall, very, very poor and not a patch on their previous service or years This new manager has been there since January 2017 and the run-down dilapidated 'theme' park is certainly going to put Pleasurewood Hills into receivership. You can't delay entry for over an hour, supply a really poor service, close lots of rides without notice and only have a skeleton staff to cover 2 operator rides with 1 person and not expect that the normal 40-60 minute for a ride can be double that. I think I'd like the majority of my money back. Tide Traveller (Twister) was removed 3 years ago and isn't replaced.

This park would be okay for people that love to wait around for no reason and if you're under 11 years of age. For older children, disabled guests and people wishing to get on more than 4 or 5 rides throughout the whole day need to go to a proper business that does care about its clientele. I won't be booking 7 day passes again and would be hard pushed to want to return. The new 'management' is entirely ineffective and they don't tell people in 45-90 minute queues that their credit-card machine wasn't working and left people to wait until they had reached the ticket booth and were turned away. LOTS OF ANGRY PEOPLE with constant conversations overheard about how poor the park now is and what a huge disappointment it is. You could read this review in its entirety 3 or 4 times over before getting onto a ride at Pleasurewood Hills. I just feel that I've been taken for a ride!!!!!

5  Thank Unhappylongqueues