All reviews lovely meal chicken goujons friendly attentive staff town centre big portions full scottish feel very welcome an evening meal keep up the good work his team place to eat warm welcome first class fantastic food cooked to perfection black pudding sunday lunch
Reviewed July 6, 2018 via mobile

This is a fabulous hotel in the friendliest part of Scotland.

From arrival to check-out the staff were the most attentive staff I’ve ever encountered. Offering extras like raspberries in the Prosecco to carrying items outside for us, adjusting seating area for our comfort & lots more.

The food is reasonably priced, high quality and good sized portions. Eating outside was no issue for the staff. The breakfast was outstanding with the best potato scone that I have ever eaten!

Our room was a family room which was a great size with a spacious very modern bathroom. High quality toiletries were provided with lots of towels and soft robes. Due to the warm weather a fan was provided without our asking - how attentive!

The bar is well stocked & is dog friendly.

Can’t wait to go back.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends
Stephen M, Owner at Townhead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2018

Hi Suzie

Thank you for your very kind words.

Lovely to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am very lucky to have the staff I have here, and they are a real credit to both themselves and the business. They are always keen to make sure that our guests are happy. Our aim is always to treat our customers in the same way we would like to be treated when we are in a hotel or restaurant.

We certainly hope that we will see you again soon.

Reviewed July 6, 2018 via mobile

It's such a shame to say this was our first visit and highchance of being our only visit to The Townhead Hotel Lockerbie . Although 5 out of 6 meals served were good,2 of these meals were kids.

UNFORTUNATELY when going to eat the chicken burger we notice the bun it was being served in was in fact mouldy, I believe in second chances and it was replaced with a new mould free rolk but it then meant we all had to wait for one person to finish even though the rest were done and the kids got adgited which made things stressful and un-enjoyable.

We were told the reason this happened was because of how hot the place they are stored in was, I then believe in this case food should always be checked more frequent with the warmer weather.

I have worked in catering and I understand things happen but everything should be checked before plating up. I also don't understand why it takes 2 members of staff to tell us the same story on how this happened, once was enough in this situation.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Jade G

Hi Jade

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review.

Firstly may I take this opportunity to apologise for the roll you had having some mould on the base of the bun. You are quite correct, this should NEVER have happened. May I just say that we get our rolls in fresh either every day, or every other day, depending on how busy we are. We actually returned some rolls last week for the same issue, and yes the heat may have been a contributing factor to this, however this is not an excuse.

We do check our fridges twice daily, which is part of EHO and cooksafe policy, to ensure that goods are kept to the correct temperature. This bun has obviously slipped past our checks, so again I can only apologise.

I am pleased that everything was resolved in the end, and your bun was replaced. I know that 2 of my staff did come to you to apologise, and this was purely out of manners, and just to make sure that you were then happy with your burger.

I do hope though that you will in deed come and see us again, and let us show you that we are as good as the other 341 Excellent/Very Good reviews say we are.

Reviewed June 29, 2018

It was our third visit to Townhead for an evening meal. The two previous visits produced nice meals, hence the third visit. We were four around the table and three of the meals were of the usual excellent standard. But the best can fail sometimes! They did with my meal. I ordered from a specials menu, I quote - " Scottish salmon, smoked trout, " with a comma after smoked trout. After the comma there followed a description of the potato which was offered. I don't remember the exact wording but it described a herb flavoured mash. I was served a long, narrow steak of salmon , the type you can buy in the supermarket two-in-a-packet, three small balls of mashed potato in breadcrumbs and a delicious serving of chicory. I asked the waitress where was the smoked trout. She went away to ask and came back to say that there was no trout, a comma had been placed in error after the word trout and what was meant was 'smoked trout and herb (dill, I think) flavoured mash'. But the potatoes had not a hint of smoked trout flavour and the mind boggles as to how such a flavour could be added without adding the smoked trout itself! However, the details are unimportant but what is crucial is proper sentence construction on the menu. The addition of a comma spoilt my visit. There was another ambiguous phrase on the same specials menu too. Without the smoked trout, the meal turned out to be poor value for money. A salmon steak, which would cost no more that £1.50 in a supermarket, three small balls of flavoured mash and a serving of chicory for almost £16!

Now for the compliments! The girls dealt with my complaint in the most courteous manner and offered me an alternative meal. I did not accept because I would have been a good 20 minutes behind my three companions had I chosen another meal - not fair to them. The moral of this little story - superfluous commas can bring enjoyment to a full stop.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Stephen M, Owner at Townhead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2018

Dear Guest,

What can I say.......

The dish you refer to reads as follows......
Honey & Chilli Southwest Scotland Salmon, Potato Panko Bon Bon's filled with Smoked Trout & Dill. Grilled Chicory, Lemon Herb Butter.

From this I do not see where the wording of mash is, or comes from.

We pride ourselves with buying as much Scottish produce as possible, and a large percentage of this is LOCALLY supplied by LOCAL business's, (Which is on our providence statement within our menu) which is vital to keep our local economy as strong as possible, and also makes for better flavour rather than from massed produced, or frozen products, which I refuse to use. This does as you can imagine have a slight impact on price, however I refuse to compare this LOCAL product to the likes of a supermarket!

I would also draw your attention to the fact that the price you pay is not only made up from the elements on the dish, but includes our courteous staff who you refer to, our tableware, rates, electric, gas, VAT, Tax....................the list goes on. The dish is £15.95 on the menu which is £13.29 before VAT, so straight away £2.66 goes to the Government.

The total bill could i suppose be put down to thinking "Did I enjoy the dining experience for the price I paid"? Maybe on this occasion you may argue it did not, and only because of what you mistakenly thought you had read, whilst on the other hand you say that three of the meals were of the usual excellent standard, but does it now in hindsight warrant a 3 out of 5 rating?

We do hope that we will see you again when you are back in the area.

Reviewed June 26, 2018

The start of a 2 week touring holiday of Scotland. Lockerbie was a very convenient location to stop mid afternoon after an early start leaving Essex. Their website mentions - 'Don't judge us by the building exterior' which is a bit self-depracating because it is fine for a hotel in the centre of a town. Ample car parking adjacent though it can get busy with restaurant visitors. A quite funky interior and a popular eating place so book ahead if a meal is wanted. Food was hot and very tasty (and sensibly priced) - similarly the cooked breakfast the next morning. The bedroom was clean and though facing on to the main road fairly quiet. Lovely welcoming staff. Very dog-friendly and great suggestions offered for a local walk to stretch legs after a long car journey - Eskrigg Reserve. Definitely would return when doing such a trip again.

Room Tip: Dog-friendly room was at top of building up 2 flights of stairs.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple

Hi Richard

Thank you for your review, and for taking the time to leave it for us.

We are all pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We are currently in the process of making a few changes to the car park at the side of the hotel, which will hopefully improve the experience, but thank you for your words on this.

We will always do our very best to make sure our guests are all happy with their stay, and even more so when they return again, and we look forward to welcoming you back again when you are in the area.

Reviewed June 25, 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on my way to see friends for a long weekend (third time lucky as it’s always been fully booked before). Told them about my dietary needs in advance and couldn’t have been better looked after from start to finish. Leigh checked my needs, liaised with the chef and ensured I had plenty of options for dinner and breakfast. Wonderful food, great spacious room and very comfortable.
Staff were so welcoming and friendly and had a lovely chat with staff after breakfast and honestly I can see why the hotel won so many awards as it’s very well deserved. Thanks to all the staff, I’ll definitely be back and will continue to recommend you.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
Stephen M, Owner at Townhead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2018

Hi Guys

Thank you so much for you lovely review.

We always do our very best to make sure that our guests dietary needs are met, and we feel it is very important to both ourselves and our guests.

Leigh is a great member of my team here, and she has earned her position of manageress through her continued hard work.
I am very lucky to have the dedicated team I have here, and it is always great to see their efforts are recognised by our guests.

We would love to see you call with us again.