“Great Staff but working in a tired hotel”

Park Inn by Radisson Harlow
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Harlow
Grayshott, United Kingdom
“Great Staff but working in a tired hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

Hats off to the general manager in responding to all the feedback in such a possitive manner. He, like the rest of the staff, must be praying for 2013 post refurbishment.
Check in was a delight. I haven't been greated with such a bubbly hello in a long time! Equally the young lads serving at dinner were enthusiastic and interactive, but a hotel is unfortuneately not judged on staff alone. Location isn't great but is easy to find and from the outside reminded me of an old school building. The corridors do have a strange odour and the rooms are in need of some tlc. Beds were comfortable and rooms surprisingly quiet given the proximity to the main road.

The menu was limited and was told by one waiter we could have a buffet and by another that it had finished (8pm) and nothing was left. That said, the quality of the food we received was really good and they made something specific for my colleague on request. Breakfast was pleasant although the layout was a little confusing. I would suggest some teaspoons on the tables or at least beside the yoghurts?

Overall a good value hotel that has the potential to be great in the future if the money is invested.
* note to hotel* Please could you make sure that they invest in some new pillows when you get your refurbishment!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Polish first
Harlow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

My wife and I chose the Park Inn RBG (restaurant/bar/grill) for our Silver Wedding dinner because it was local, they are affiliated to the Gourmet Society, of which I'm a member, and we hadn't been before. We were very satisfied with our meal (a delicious calves liver/parsnip mash dish and an excellent sirloin steak followed by a tasty cheesecake). The menu is relaively small which reassured that the dishes were freshly prepared and of a good standard. I remarked that there was no cheeseboard on the menu and the waitress consulted with the chef who created a beautifully presented platter of brie and cheddar with grapes, stawberries and celery in less than five minutes. There's a good wine list and we had a very good Australian Merlot which was well priced at £17. It was a pleasant surprise to find that wines by the glass were typically priced proportionate to the bottle; so a 250 ml. glass cost a third of the full bottle price.
The dining room is bright and airy and contemporary and the service beyond reproach. We will be going again very soon.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
uk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

I stayed here last wk, for a wk on business. When i first got there I was pleased when I read the facillitys at the hotel, however after the 20min wait while they found my booking & spoke to my company to make sure that I was ment to be staying there, I finally got my ( first ) room.
The room was well furnished and a good size, however they hadnt cleaned it from the previous person, so their used towels were in the bath, bed tossed, and their dirty plates/ glasses were still on the side.
I went back to reception, got another room.
totally different furnishings - compared to the first room - old and ugly. The room wasnt very clean, there were hairs on the floor, in the bath, and on the shower head. black dirty water marks in the sink.
I decided to stay put, thinking the cleaner would fix those things in the morning while i was at work - i didnt want to have to go back again to reception, and didnt want an even worst room.
Those things stayed like that ALL WEEK!!
The "spa" is far from relaxing - the changing room is a wash with water, with hairs, bits of tissue etc on it, so not the kind of place you want to take your clothes off and relax. The pool is so small you cant accually swim in it. It is open to the public, so it is far to busy to use propperly. After 15mins i left.
The bar & resurant - flat service, terrible chioce of food to choose from and what is there is very expensive for what you get. £6 for a glass of house wine, £11.50 for breakfast!!!
The prices in no way what so ever reflect the service or quality of food/suroundings - and whats worst it the staff dont seem to care.
I complained at check out - after i brought up it was a terrible stay ( I wasnt asked ) one receptionist smerked and shock her head, the other said "thanks for the feedback, bye" - no apoligy, no, would you like to speak to a manager!
I have informed my company and with our HO being in Harlow and sending all our business there, they were as suprised and disgutsed as i was.
I am back in harlow this week - and wont be staying here!!!

Room Tip: pick a different hotel
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank kissmecath
ManagerWD17, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Harlow, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for completing a review on the hotel. I am sorry that you had some issues while staying. I am really anxious to put matters right for you and to show you the hotel in its proper light. I would be really grateful if you could give me a call so I can discuss the issues you had and make up for your recent stay. I really am determined to improve your impression of my hotel.
Kind regards
01279 829932 - Direct Line

Travellers are raving about these Harlow hotels

Colchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2011

First (and last) time in this hotel. First impression....... the car park, very very small spaces so much so that you just know other guests are going to open their doors into the side of your car doors! The car park was literally littered with fags ends.....especially outside the main entrance but not limited to! We walked into main reception area and there were tea and coffee rings on the clearly unclean glass tables. The coffee tables must have been cleared at some point but tables not wiped. The bar was clinical and soulless. It was like a throw back from the seventies. The carpets throughout the hotel were filthy...OMG!!!! disgusting! The room was ok...no more... But the very worst thing was the close encounter we had a 4am when complete strangers walked into out room with a load of suitcases and turned the light on.......we were mortified...thankfully we were asleep and not playing scrabble or other such games!!! lol Of course there is a more serious aspect to someone else being given access to a room already let out...in that they would also have access to all of your belongings had it been daytime and we had been out at the time of the accidental double booking of our room. Outrageous from a security aspect! Bed solid...as a rock...We ordered food from the bar, we both ordered steak Baguette and fries from the unappealing menu. The bagette was passable to be fair, but the promised fried onions were absent and the fries has been cooked in cold fat...so very unappetising. Would i recommend this hotel?...no! Would I stay there again? No! Take my advice and look elsewhere as it was not even cheap! Run while you can!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Just_a_Giraffe
ManagerWD17, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Harlow, responded to this review, 9 January 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for completeing a review of the hotel. Clearly you highlight some problems and I would like the opportunity to investigate what you have said and have the opportunity to put matters right for you. Trip advisor obviously quite rightly do not hand out contact details so I really would appreciate it if you would contact me personally so I may address your concerns and issues and hopefully leave you with a much more positive impression.
Kind Regards
Dir Line 01279 829932
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2011

The room was cold, rooms are tired, location is in the middle of nowhere- don't even bother. I was Booked into this hotel for business for 3 nights but after spending 5 mins here I booked somewhere else for the next 2 nights. This hotel really needs a total refurb. Of just close it altogether.
Also.... Wifi £14 a day?! Ridiculous.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank lizzie_mansfield
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your review, i was sorry to read that you had not enjoyed your stay. I am please to say that we are getting some refurbishment work done as I reply and am confident this will improve matters for everyone.
I am also pleased to say that we have reviewed the cost of WiFi and you can now get 24hrs for £5.00 which I am sure you will agree is much better value for money.
I hope you will give me the opportunity to show you the improvements we have made when you are next in the area.
01279 829932
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

Having to use The Park Inn while visiting family, I was quite disappointed at the lack of ambience and care in maintenance of the hotel.

Staff greeted and interacted well, in particular given the environment they have to work in, but from walking in to reception, to finding my room, it had a very tired feeling about the place. There was also a strange smell, couldn't quite place what it was exactly, but it was throughout the hotel.

For the price, and just being there one night it was 'OK', but that was it. It certainly would not be my first choice if I am back in the area, rather last resort if it came to it.

If you have a choice, Id recommend looking for another hotel, but if its the only one avlaible, then you at least will have somewhere to put your head for a night.

A bit of investment, (which I understand is difficult these days) and the place would have a whole new lease of life, and in turn attract back more customers I believe.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank AdzzzPhotography
ManagerWD17, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Harlow, responded to this review, 21 November 2011
Thanks for your comments about the hotel and your thoughts about refurbishment. I am hopeing that some work will be done in 2012 and agree that it will make all the difference. On a positive note it was good to read that you had found the staff good we do try to give a good service to our customers
Haydock, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

All Round terrible the rooms where in a very poor condition al a carte menu was very basic service very slow requested to move from bar area at ten thirty to reception area which was freezing so left and went to bed only thing going for this so called hotel is it's location but it falls well below Travelodge & Premier Inns.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank tomt1230
Thanks for your review. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. We will work on the points you raised to make improvements for the future
James Gardner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harlow
2.5 km away
11.6 km away
Cheshunt Marriott Hotel
Cheshunt Marriott Hotel
#1 of 1 in Broxbourne

Been to Park Inn by Radisson Harlow? Share your experiences!