“Would I recommend?”
Review of Bay Carlton Hotel

Bay Carlton Hotel
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Great Yarmouth
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Absolutely NOT poor food disgusting room terrible uncomfortable bed. Staff friendly. Old run down hotel shame on you Shearings for giving an 83 year old woman a bed on the top floor with a bed lie a brick!

Room Tip: Avoid do not stay there!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
10  Thank Joy K
CarltonHotel012, General Manager at Bay Carlton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2012

Dear reviewer, the room type that you had booked is located on the 2nd or 3rd floor, the hotel was fully booked so we were unable to move you to a lower floor. The beds are standard my apologises if this was not to your liking. During your stay I do not recall you informing me of poor food however I will investigate this, you stated during you stay that the room was ok, but wanted the heating turned down.

There are newer reviews for Bay Carlton Hotel

Reviewed 31 March 2012

Probably not.
My wife and I stayed at the Carlton Hotel 23rd. to 26th. March. It was a short break with Shearings.
We were very lucky to have such warm weather for March.
This is an impressive looking hotel in a very good position on the front.
Checking in is ultra fast, room keys are handed out on the coach and your luggage turns up outside your room.
Our room, 225, was spacious with a very high ceiling and a big window. We could see the sea and look along the prom right down to the Pleasure Beach.
It was furnished with a good comfortable firm double bed, three chairs, two small tables, chest of drawers, large wardrobe, tea making and a Television. You can tell it has history, the floor boards creak and the plumbing looks Victorian. I just had to photograph those taps.
Cannot fault the breakfast it was good, with plenty of choice. Full English for me each day. Evening meal also was very enjoyable with large helpings of roasted meat and vegetables. Although it was pot luck if the wine waiter appeared or not.
Each evening we played Bingo and had a quiz before the cabaret. The three nights we had were really entertaining, with Big Tim Lane, The Dreamettes and on Sunday night, the best yet Ruben Jones.
All in all a very nice and relatively inexpensive short holiday.
So why would I not want to go back?
On arriving home I realized we had left a sweatshirt behind. It was special to me, a souvenir from a Spanish theme park . It was not cheap, being light grey long sleeved fleecy lined with Portaventura logo on the front,
My wife phoned the Carlton four times, at 8am, 12midday, 5pm. and again at 7.30.
She asked them to post it back and we would pay the post & packing.
Each time she was told they would check and phone her back in 30mins... They never phoned back.
Now if the room was checked between guests, as it should have been, then the maid has it.
Or if it was not checked for lost property, the new guests would have found it.
I feel robbed. Would I stay there again? No. Would I holiday with Shearings again? Maybe.

3  Thank tripmanSurrey

It looks like you enjoyed your stay at the Carlton, and sounds like we exceeded your expectations with good food, entertaining cabaret acts, good location and speedy service. The hotel does have a long history being built in the 1840’s, the points regarding the wine waiter and your sweatshirt are being dealt at the moment, it was me that took your telephone call and the message was passed on to housekeeping who should have phoned back my apologises.

Reviewed 17 March 2012

stayed from12 March - 16 March, hotel is in desperate need of refeb, rooms are very dated and in one of the rooms our party stayed in the bed was like a brick, on the other hand the food was good, we have stayed in a lot of shearings hotels and this was the best food in all of their hotels, the entertainment was poor over the 4 night we were there, but if you like Kenny Rodgers you will like it, bingo and a quiz every night we were there. overall we enjoyed the stay but please shearings take a look at your hotels they need updating.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Clair S

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Carlton, I’m pleased to see that overall you enjoyed your stay and found the food to be the best you’ve had with in Shearings. As regards to your comments on refurbishment the hotel is set for more bedroom refurbishment shortly and will continue in the future.

Reviewed 17 March 2012

This hotel can be described as a mixed experience due to the room and room service being fine but the whole hotel is well worn and this can be seen in the decor. the staff are friendly but there are not enough of them in the dining room. We regularly had to wait 20 minutes or so to be served for our evening meals whilst the staff were going flat out to serve guests who were waiting.. the food for the first 2 nights was to put it mildly poorly cooked. (this was the consensus amongst a lot of people on our coach party) the next 2 nights the food was very tasty! different Chef?. Would I go again. I dont think so.

2  Thank shipsrat

I’m pleased to see that parts of your stay satisfied your needs, the waiting staff are very busy and sometimes there is a wait due to the numbers sitting at the same time. We do evaluate this and try to adapt where possible. I have discussed your comments regarding the food with the chef.

Best regards,

Reviewed 15 March 2012

We stayed at this hotel recently and as I am Coeliac they catered well for this. Each meal time the waitress was so helpful in telling me what I could eat. And on the journey home they made me some sandwiches with gluten free bread, so that was really helpful. In all the hotel is dated but the helpfulness of the staff made it a good holiday.

We were in room 221 which was very dated and the shower was so old fashioned but we managed.

If this hotel is refurnished it would be absolutely stunning.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ddag
CarltonHotel012, General Manager at Bay Carlton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2012

Dear reviewer, I’m pleased to hear that you found our dietary food was helpful during your stay. We always carry dietary foods, if we do not have specifics we will go out of our way to ensure we source them. The hotel itself is around 170 years old, but we do have in place a refurbishment programme that lends itself to the character of the building.

Reviewed 14 March 2012

We have recently had our 6th stay at the carlton in yarmouth...on arriving we were given room 118 which was a poky little room with a little wash basin and nowhere to put our toiletries....we complained and were given a nicer room room 104...we were in this room for one night when a leak appeared in the ceiling...we were then moved to 117 which was a superior room..this room was very nice. I have to say that the manager sorted everything out for us and we enjoyed the rest of the stay....our waiters name was Rui and we have had him serve us before he is very efficient and a very nice lad.....and best of all he remembers us everytime we go....food was ok but veg overcooked....we will certainly be going back to the carlton as we always enjoy our stay.

1  Thank janet y

Thank you for your kind review I’m sorry for the inconvenience caused during your stay. I am pleased that we were able to rectify this by upgrading you to a superior room for the rest of your stay. I will pass your comments on to Rui, and will look into the over cooked vegetables this is unlike us.
Look forward to your return from all of the team at the Carlton.

Reviewed 13 March 2012

Three of us stayed 27 Feb to 2 March 2012. My husband and myself shared a double bedded room which was no bigger than the single room occupied by our friend. The bathroom was one of the worst I have ever seen. The shower cubicle had been replaced at one time and did not fit the shower tray properly leaving a gap of about an inch at the bottom. There wasn't always hot water for a shower, there was no ventilation in the bathroom and the hand basin was a tiny cloakroom basin. The only place for toiletries (including tooth brushes) was above the toilet cistern on a tiny shelf. When we complained we were offered an upgrade but were expected to pay extra for it. We have stayed at Shearings before and were disappointed with the standard of the room. Having said that, the food was good, the waiter ( Rui Rodriguez) was brilliant and the nightly entertainment was excellent. What a shame it was all let down by the room!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank travelhappy2399

I’m sorry that you found your room not to your satisfaction I will discuss with our maintenance department the points you have highlighted in the bathroom, I know that there is a fan in the bathroom and will check that it is operational, the shower is electric so there should always be hot water. The company do have upgrades in all hotels but there is an additional cost for these rooms we did not intent to offend you in asking for payment. I will pass on your comments to Rui this is the second praise this week for him he will be thrilled, I am pleased to see that you enjoyed the food and that the entertainment was excellent.