All reviewszip wirefamily hotelhot tubkids clubthe baby listening servicebuckets and spadesspa treatmentsthe main hotelcinema roomoutdoor jacuzziafternoon teainterconnecting roomsgrown upsschool holidaysthree childrenfamily breaktable tennis
Reviewed June 22, 2018

I will start by saying that this is a lovely hotel. Stately and well kept (for the most part), friendly helpful staff and a nice restaurant. So no issues there. My wife and I spent a weekend at Fowey Hall for her mother's birthday. The group was all adults, save a couple of children. The hotel was chosen as it is family friendly and upscale. Turns out the emphasis is definitely on "family friendly". We were overrun in every public area by children. Children with no apparent adult supervision. Please don't think of us as haters of children, we're very fond of children, but we were paying for luxury and being overwhelmed by kids everywhere but our room. The rooms are great, by the way. Spacious and clean. The furnishings were a little tired, but I think it was more of an attempt at being antiquey than just worn out furniture. The restaurant was good, the food very well presented. I will say that the meals seem to be laid out so that the children eat early and adults later in the evening. In many ways I applaud the hotel for being inclusive to families, but I think the balance has been lost between kids and grown ups. For us, this lovely hotel missed the mark.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Paul B
Reviewed June 22, 2018 via mobile

Had an overnight B&B stay for our Anniversary. We had a courtyard room. It was very pleasant, very clean, with French doors opening to the yard and a table and chairs to sit outside. I loved the glass art nouveau wardrobe doors. (I thought the mirror behind the TV was a bit odd. And a picture over the dressing table where a mirror should be!) Peaceful. No noise at all really. We enjoyed trying out the pool which is basic, but a good temperature and well maintained. No sauna or steam room that we could find, however the outdoor hot tub overlooking the sea was fabulous. We whiled away a good hour or so in there! (Also correctly maintained). If there was one negative I wasn’t sure about the quality of the mattress. It felt a bit too springy, and unsupportive, rather than enveloping, and not of the proper hotel quality standard that you come to expect but I managed.
The bathroom in the room was a nice size and the bath products are all full size Elemis and lovely to use. Good sized bath. The shower cubicle was a little on the small side but the shower itself was amazing. Really liked that. And I was impressed with the marble looking but non-slip floor tiles too. Breakfast was absolutely delicious with everything you could want. The atmosphere was very relaxed. Cut your own ciabatta for toast, create your own muesli option too. Staff were all friendly and attentive. Overall we enjoyed it here very much. As I say at the beginning it is a classy place but with no pretentiousness which is the perfect combination.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2018 via mobile

We visited Fowey hall whilst on holiday. While we was there we dicided to have afternoon tea. It was very nice, with nice surroundings and lots of history. They also except dogs which was a plus for us because we had ours with us.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed June 19, 2018

Firstly, there are a few positive things about Fowey Hall – the lounge area with the fire is lovely with Designer's Guild cushions, the location is fab and the views are stunning.

Unfortunately, the negatives outweighed the above. The night before our trip, I was on the Fowey Hall Hotel website looking at what we could do when in the area and curiosity made me check the rates – the vast difference in price of what we had paid a week before and what they were now offering was a real kick in the teeth. We had paid £760 for 3 nights B&B and their website was now advertising £740 for 3 nights Dinner, Bed & Breakfast. When I called up, I was told by the receptionist that it wasn’t her fault and central reservations create the rates but that the Reception Manager or the Operations Manager would get in touch before our arrival and something would be sorted out. Having a member of staff simply passing on the blame to someone else within the business just made me more irritated.

Of course there was no contact prior to our arrival and nothing was offered upon check-in – instead we were shown up to Anne – a hotel room that made me reminisce of The Shining.

Where do I start: -

• Mismatched bedside cabinets – the one on the left as you look at the bed is unstable and tilting forward.
• The extractor fan switch for the bathroom had fallen off and housekeeping had just put it on the door frame.
• Ironing board from the 1970s.
• Broken pedal bin in bathroom.
• Both mirrors in bathroom chipped.
• Bathroom mirror above sink grimey – I wrote “Clean Me” in it on the first night and it was still there when we checked out 3 days later.
• Hairs floating around floor.
• Generally shabby – bath panel all chipped, tiling terrible and grout discoloured.
• Bathroom ceiling all patchy (from smoke or something?)
• Woken up by a baby crying above us every night around 3am.
• Woken up at 6.30am with children and parents running and shouting by our bedroom door.
• Door knocked on every morning around 9am by housekeepers. (I am on holiday and would like a lie in, leave me alone!)
• Housekeepers stood outside the room gossiping.
• It sounded like people were actually in the room with us when they were in the corridor! I have a video!

Anyway, we came down for dinner on the first night and were seated in… the morning room / hallway. Where we were promptly forgotten about.

Long waits, dishes left in front of us for 15-20 minutes, we joked about ordering several drinks each when we next saw someone… kids going in and out of the door and leaving it open every time.

Once dinner was over we retired in front of the fire in the living room, but when we had finished that drink – no one came to offer us another – and we would quite happily have sat there with another few drinks…

Repeat this at breakfast every morning. Sat in the hallway, no one noticing us. Coffees asked for twice and never came, buffet breakfast finished before we even saw a member of staff.

And when on a B&B rate it sickens me that they then ask for you to pay a supplement for breakfast! Crazy! Surely the extortionate rooms rates (for what the rooms actually offer, can absorb £4!) But don’t worry, the receptionist took off the £4 for my smoked salmon and eggs upon checkout to compensate us…

Not once throughout our 3 days were we asked how our stay was or how we had slept – the only opportunity I had to air my problems was at checkout when I asked for the service charge to be removed, which then prompted the receptionist to ask why.

Following some correspondence with the Operations Manager post-checkout, I am still left completely underwhelmed with the whole thing and will not be returning.

Room Tip: Request to not be roomed in Anne
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tabitha A
FoweyHallHotel, General Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2018

Dear Tabitha,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We have tried to contact you several times with reference to your feedback, but as of yet haven't heard back.

I was disappointed you didn't enjoy your stay with us. The issues you have raised regarding your room have been addressed and please accept my apologies this wasn't at an acceptable level for your stay.

As illustrated by the glowing reviews from other guests on this site, we generally see receive excellent feedback regarding the hotel. I'm sorry you had such a conflicting experience, and we didn't get the opportunity to put things right.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Kind Regards

Peter Brighouse

Reviewed June 16, 2018 via mobile

Just visiting Fowey Hall on first family holiday with our baby, now 10m old. The hotel could not have done more to make it easy and convenient for a family with young children to have a holiday, and to make life easy for inexperienced parents. The facilities for childcare are excellent. The restaurant includes options for baby food at lunch and dinner (ours loved the puréed spaghetti Bolognese) and provides high chairs, sippy cups etc.
The room provided a lovely cot, and bottle warming and sterilising kit, and receptions provides an overnight bottle cleaning service.
The food for adults is great too, and the monitoring service lets parents eat in he restaurant whilst kids in bed are monitored for crying.
I can not recommend this hotel highly enough for the level of support it provides to let parents relax!
PS. Locations and facilities for older children are great too!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
FoweyHallHotel, Operations Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2018

Dear 'Robin M'

Thank you for such a lovely review. I was so pleased to read how much you enjoyed your first family holiday with us at Fowey Hall and manager to fully relax - and also escape for a romantic dinner for two whilst using our baby listening service. I will make sure I pass all your wonderful comments onto the team.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Fowey Hall soon.

Kind regards