“Good Coffee Shop”
Review of The Happiness Trap

The Happiness Trap
Price range: US$8 - US$10
Cuisines: Healthy
Description: Enniskillen's newest coffee-shop for wholesome food with a big choice of healthy, vegetarian, vegan, organic and gluten-free food.
Reviewed April 5, 2018

The Cakes in The Happiness Trap were all very appealing but I did not indulge, for a change, but enjoyed a Coffee, which was nicely served, in a very pleasant Coffee Shop

Date of visit: April 2018

Reviewed April 1, 2018

During our visit to Enniskillen, my partner and I were keeping an eye out for nice lunch spots for a tasty savoury meal, a sweet treat and a solid coffee. The Happiness Trap looked like it could offer such to us and seeing its online reviews are generally great, were were happy to try here.

After finishing the Legnabrocky trail, we were in dire need of a good feed. Despite Enniskillen centre being absolutely packed on Easter weekend, The Happiness Trap wasn't too busy and the queue at the counter was minimal. This didn't mean service was straight forward, however. It felt like we were waiting in the queue for an unnecessary length of time. When it came to being served, the lady behind the counter skipped past myself and my partner and served the man behind. This seemed to create an awkward knock on effect for subsequent customers.

Ordering some quiche and coffee cake seemed inconvenient for the lady. She could have been having a bad day, but she didn't come across as the most customer friendly. However I ignored this, went on to order my coffee (which caused more confusion...) and finally got to take my tray away to a table, following at least a 10 minute wait behind 2 people. I must say the food on display looked fab, especially the desserts. My partner also ordered some strudel so we could share two desserts (dessert envy is real...).

My total bill was £11, for a quiche, americano and slice of coffee cake (which was was £3-4 itself). Quiche was lovely, could have been a bit warmer but the flavour was there, pastry was good and it was very filling. Strudel was very good, felt like a healthier twist on the dessert but this was not a negative. But let's talk about the coffee cake...

Looking at the coffee cake on the counter, it was fab. More of a chocolatey sponge, with 3 well risen layers surrounded by a beautiful coffee buttercream. But then as soon as I put my fork through the cake I knew it was completely dried out. And indeed it was. Too dense a crumb, a brick-like texture and although the sponge did have cocoa powder in it, there lacked a coffee flavour. The buttercream was nice, however.

Overall, a mediocre experience. Nice atmosphere and the quiche and strudel were good. Other desserts looked good. GF and vegan options are always a bonus too. But the coffee cake and unnecessarily over-complicated service were a let down.

2  Thank JFerris972
Reviewed March 24, 2018 via mobile

fresh & healthy! We’ve been in Ireland for the last three days traveling around and this was the best food we’ve had since arriving! I’m all about greasy food, but this healthy food topped any greasy meal!

Reviewed March 19, 2018 via mobile

The first warning sign was the 3 rating for hygiene. Last inspected 10 months ago. The display of food was good in range and apparent quality. Overall impression of decor was good with considerable effort to present a contemporary design using rustic products. However, too many tables left not cleared from previous clients and the shiny surface of the tables meant those ready for use were smeared not clean. There was no lunchtime rush to explain this poor effort. General impression of grubbiness.

We decided to go for coffee and scones and it was OK. Don’t go for the larger cups as your drinks just cool even quicker. The scones looked good but were dry and crumbled on cutting.

A visit to the bathroom gave an example of how polished concrete floors maybe trendy but are not hygienic if not properly sealed. The floor was sticky and there was no hot water in fact the hot tap didn’t even produce any water! I reported this to the only available member of staff.

Overall, this was a disappointing visit. You have to wonder why a business selling food would not seek a re-test to move its hygiene score from 3 to 5 over the period of 10 months. Won’t return unless this is the score in future.

4  Thank OPB58
Reviewed March 15, 2018

I was given a voucher as a Secret Santa present and decided to treat myself and hubby to Afternoon Tea....what an amazing experience! The choice and selection was fabulous and nothing was too much bother to the lovely gentleman that served us....we let him decide the treats/desserts and what a great selection - so much we took some treats home. The Snug was reserved for us and so private a wonderful atmosphere for Afternoon Tea..the sourdough sandwiches were so tasty..fruit pots...scones, jam and fresh cream, cheesecake, tart and sticky toffee cake...so good...fresh and tasty...loads of coffee...I would highly recommend this Afternoon Tea experience and already planning another visit.....Thank you to The Happiness Trap X