“Romantic Valentines Weekend”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Egham
London
“Romantic Valentines Weekend”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

My husband and I took advantage of the Valentines weekend offer: 2 nights bed and breakfast with dinner on the first night and a bottle of prosecco in the room all for £250.

Firstly, we were very impressed at the price. We do not normally go away for valentines as things normally cost lots more. We thought this price was very reasonable for such a nice hotel including dinner and breakfast both mornings.

When we arrived we were not disappointed. We had upgraded (so paid slightly more) to a superior room, and the room was beautiful. Very tastefully decorated and clean.

The bathroom was clean and modern, with a very powerful shower.

Dinner on the first night was presented well and was delicious. Breakfast, again, was delicious with such a wide choice to choose from!

We found the staff to all be very friendly and helpful too.

We really enjoyed the spa. However the only negative point was that we think there was too much chlorine in the water, and both of us found that our skin was very dry whilst we were there.

In general, a lovely, friendly hotel, with good food, good spa facilities (although may be went overboard with the chlorine), and set in a beautiful location. We enjoyed a long walk along the Thames during our stay.

We have already recommended this to a friend, and would definitely return!

Room Tip: Next time we would request a river view, as our window just looked out onto the car park.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Moface
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this review, 25 March 2012
Thank you for your feedback. Your comments have been passed on to the hotel team so they can see how much their efforts are appreciated.
I have spoken to the Spa Manager with regards to the Chlorine level in our pool and all the levels over the last months records have been constant at the recommended dose. I do however appreciate this is sometimes a personal tolerance and I am sorry if this caused any discomfort to you and your husband.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Resident / Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2012

We've been to the Runnymede twice & enjoyed it both times. The rooms are nothing to write home about - the river view ones are best - but air-con can be noisy & in-efficient and the TV's are painfully slow. Wifi is good and the beds are very comfortable though.

The spa is excellent - I had a superb hot stone massage which was totally relaxing and worth every penny. Gym is very well equipped & staffed. The indoor and outdoor pools are great - the only thing that lets them down is the people who use them selfishly on occasion, allowing children to scream uncontrollably for instance or shaving in the steam room despite a sign saying its forbidden.

I'd avoid the Leftbank restaurant unless you're travelling with kids. The buffet is great at breakfast time but the dinner we had there was pretty mediocre. Starters were good - lots of variety & salads but the main courses let it down. Over-cooked fish left under heat lamps for too long, bland chicken and dry chunky chips. Much better is The Lock restaurant - superb staff and far superior food. I'd highly recommend booking a table there. The Sunday roasts are particularly good.

• Stayed February 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you found the food in Leftbank dry and bland, especially as we normally receive very positive feedback on this restaurant. We do have child free times within the Spa area to ensure that the members and those trying to relax have a time when children are not allowed in the area.
I am also pleased to let you know that we are currently in the process of installing a brand new television system that is a lot quicker than our current system as well have having flat screens in all the bedrooms.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future
Englefield Green, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Just returned home from 19 hours at the Runymede. Must come clean that the junior suite and meal in the Left bank were free as a bonus for me for taking out membership at the Spa for my wife. The bonus also being that our drive to the hotel totalled 3.2 miles. There appeared to be no valet parking offered so we parked our car and walked to the foyer -I'm glad it wasn't raining!

However, asked for a river side room, £20 extra please. Couldn't be bothered as it would be dark soon! The staff did offer to take our bags to the room, a plus point, which we often have to ask for in some hotels, but with only one overnight bag on wheels we declined. I needed the exercise!

The pool area never had more than six people in it, the pool no more than three, and this on a late Fri afternoon. Steam room and sauna to myself. Wonderful power showers but not so enamoured with the communal changing. The main pool is separate to a large, shallow kids/paddling pool. The floors were heated too!

The junior suite is a decent size room with seating for two and plenty of space, all mod cons, trouser press, ironing board and iron, writing desk, TV etc. Decent size bathroom and plenty of power from the taps and shower! All shampoo etc supplied.

Having afternoon tea we were told we should have our room card with us to prove we are staying in the hotel, we were not informed by reception.....

We did NOT appreciate the turn down service bursting into our room at 6.50 while we were getting ready for dinner. I was still in the shower!! Surely some cross reference with the restaurant and they would have known we would be in the restaurant by 7.30?

The buffet food in the Left Bank was well presented and the venison sublime. As others found, all staff were attentive and looked after us, although we felt there were not enough floor staff in the bar area compared to the bar staff and service was a little slow. The banquet seating along the walls is too low. I am 6'2" and needed a booster cushion to get me to a decent height to the table. Spirits and cocktails reasonable prices considering how near London the hotel is. Beer and lager overpriced compared to local pubs. Wine reasonable priced and a reasonable selection. We opted to have a glass each per course and asked for a glass of pudding wine to go with the sweets. It wasn't on the wine menu so a waiter went to the bar to find out -we never saw him again!!! Hopefully he hasn't ben beheaded for such a request....

However, the entrance foyer/bar area decor is dreadfull!! Too many different materials have failed to make this materialise as an area to stay in and socialise -I was particularly critical of the ceiling lights that look like nicotine stained sawn off drinking straws!! And a lot of the seats are just too low. I wonder how many people with bad backs (like me) or the elderly struggle to get up without help.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FLYINGBLUEDOG
Thank you for your feedback and comments which are invaluable to us.
I am sorry that you did not receive the level of service in the restaurant that you did in the bar. I can assure you that the waiter did not lose his head for requesting the desert wine! and following your feedback all the team have been re-trained on our dessert wine offering.
I am also sorry that the lounge décor is not to your liking. As with all interior design one person’s preference isn’t necessarily everyone’s choice.
I am glad that you liked our spa facilities and the Leftbank food offering.
I hope you visit us again soon.
Surrey
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Four of us "Ladies that lunch" decided to have afternoon tea at The Runnymede Hotel. We were shown to the Lounge and given a table over looking the River Thames. Very nice!
We were served with some tasty fingertype sandwiches, scones, clotted cream and jam and with an array of cakes. A choice of teas was offered and in pots that didn't leak! We could have had endless fresh pots of tea throughout the afternoon if we had wanted/needed them. The staff were attentive and unobtrusive. At £17 per head - a little pricey but it was special afterall.
We decided to linger in the lounge and ordered a bottle of wine, together with a glass of soda to make some spritzers.
I was VERY disappointed to find that when we got the bill we had been charged £1.70p for the soda water. As this just comes out of the bar 'gun' I felt this was an unneccesary charge and one which I have never had to pay in a restaurant or bar before.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for your feedback. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your afternoon tea overlooking the Thames. I am however sorry that you felt the charge for the soda water was unnecessary.
I do hope that this would not put you off visiting us again.
Ohio
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Was there for business meetings in their small convention area in winter time. Great staff at every turn: the reception, business area, restaurants, the chefs, the bartenders, everyone. The staff really makes this hotel great. The buffet has quite a selection of freshly prepared foods that should please everyone, prepared with a British view on cooking. We loved the towel warmer in the bedroom in winter time. The rooms are a bit on the small side, but still very comfortable with all of the amenities of a fine hotel.

I was pleasantly surprised that the drink pricing in the bar for single malts in the bar was far better than what the pubs down in London charge, so drink up.

A nice tip is that you're very close to Windsor - the Windsor Castle is a terrific tour and the little town around it is very cute with an open air shopping area.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank betona
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this review, 25 February 2012
Thank you for your feedback, I have passed all your kind comments onto the team as positive feedback such as this encourages them as it shows their efforts are appreciated. I am pleased that you were happy with the pricing in the lounge and that you had time to visit Windsor being only 10 minutes from the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Kind Regards
Stamford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Just got back from two nights at this hotel. The staff on reception were very polite and helpful. Very nice clean room with everything we could have wished for including lovely toiletries.
Incredible value. We paid £99 per room per night which included breakfast and use of all the lovely spa facilities that included use of the pool, steam, sauna, whirlpool, massage chairs in the changing rooms. We could also have used the gym and classes were free but we had no kit with us....next time!!!
We had room service breakfast our first morning which arrived on time, delivered by a very smiley member of staff. At a £2 supplement we thought was great value as we could have a lovely leisurely sunday morning in private with the papers.
Ate in the leftbank restaurant on Saturday evening. This was the only disappointing part of our trip. Priced at £29 per person it is pricey but as an all you could eat buffet great if you can do it justice. However there was only a choice of 6.30 or 9pm tables left. We opted for 9pm but a lot of the carvery food looked like it had been there all evening and was lukewarm. Ended up eating mostly salad which was not good value. At 10pm the lights started to be turned off and the aircon turned up with gave the impression it was time for us to go.
Not a great experience added to which the staff were very slow with drinks and clearing, made all the more noticeable because staff everywhere else are so friendly and helpful.
The hotel is in a lovely position right on the river so lovely for walks.
This was our second stay and we will definitely go back but not to the leftbank restaurant.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank fifi090
Thank you for your feedback and I am glad that overall you found the hotel to be good value and in a good location. However, I am sorry that you found Leftbank disappointing. The Food and Beverage Manager is investigating your feedback as your comments are not indicative of the standards which we wish to provide to our guests.
I am however pleased that you would revisit the runnymede-on-thames and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. I would be happy to discuss the your stay further should you wish and can be contacted on 01784 220615 or spencerc@therunnymede.co.uk
Woking, Surrey
Reviewed 17 February 2012

We had lunch here and got lost on the way so rang to say we would be late but the hotel couldn't have been more accommodating, the staff are helpful and friendly. The restaurant was full on a Friday lunchtime but there was plenty of choice as it is a 'eat all you want' buffet. There was lovely soup to start with, a large cold salad buffet with cheeses and breads, hot food counter with over 5 choices of different foods, rotisserie garlic and lemon chicken, turkey, beef stew, fish medley,pizza plus vegetables and then a lovely selection of hot and cold desserts. All together a lovely restaurant with views over Thames.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank popeadventure
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your recent lunch in Leftbank. I am delighted that our team took care of you so well and that you were spoilt for choice. I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.
Resident / Guest Relations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Egham
2.3 km away
The Oakley Court
The Oakley Court
#2 of 17 in Windsor
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,193 reviews

Been to The Runnymede on Thames? Share your experiences!