See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed August 13, 2018

TV was tiny and was susceptible to interference.
WiFi didn't work at all.
One of our rooms had a broken bed.
The hotel and bar were extremely bare and not very warm to the eye.
It was clean though and tea facilities were updated with the wash elements every day.
Staff were friendly and it's situated in a central location.

Room Tip: The rooms on the lower floors might pick up Wifi but the rooms at the top definitely can't.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed July 24, 2018 via mobile

I understand that new people have taken over recent6. They sure have a lot of work to do to bring it up to scratch. Dirty floors, dirty cracked window, towels hung right next to toilet, peeling wallpaper, bad smell, dirty teaspoon. I slept on top of the bed with no cover as I wasn't sure it was clean, luckily it was a warm night. I put a t shirt over the pillow too. Not s great experience overall.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed July 20, 2018

This was so bad, I left just after midnight, booking a cab to a proper hotel. The manager / owner was very polite, but that's the only positive thing I can say about this place. It's dirty and sub-standard. A truly awful experience that I would urge others to avoid.

Room Tip: I don't believe there will be any good rooms here.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed June 17, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I stayed there for 1 night. We left early in the morning to head home again. Stayed in Chippenham as visiting family and would certainly never go back. Very dated, none of the ‘decor’ was finished, walls half painted, wallpaper pealing off the wall, one curtain longer than the other, it smelt musty and old, not clean at all, in the hall ways, bedroom etc, thank goodness then don’t provide food, not that anyone would eat there anyway. Our bed was very uncomfortable, very lumpy mattress and we had a terrible nights sleep, only one bedside table, bathroom was dirty, no mirror in the bedroom, no chair for the dressing table. It was very noisy during the night which we kind of expected as it’s right in the town but even with the windows shut it didn’t make a difference! The only good thing I have to say is that the bedding smelt clean and the towels and the shower was nice and warm but had to rinse it out before getting in it, but it was horrible and we only stayed the night because we’d paid for it otherwise we would of just driven straight home the same evening.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CharlotteRolls
Reviewed January 30, 2018 via mobile

Had a great weekend at the Bear Hotel , nothing was too much effort and although it’s under new management and they have only taken over a couple of weeks ago they seem to have it running very smoothly . Staff were friendly and helpful , bedding towels , room etc all spotlessly clean and a generally enjoyable stay , we will be back .

(I did read the previous comment and rating and I’m really not sure if we were both in the same hotel ?? Or maybe they are just a hater because none of what was said in their review was apparent during our stay )

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family