All reviews swimming pool older part car park main building middle of town lovely hotel leisure facilities old building good size central location full english high street no lift cooked breakfast reception desk first morning room was large
Reviewed September 15, 2018 via mobile

I stayed here recently to run a training course. From the moment I arrived until I left I was nothing other than impressed by the helpfulness of every staff member I encountered.

Emma and her team were amazing. As a manager, Emma is super efficient. She always found time to help even when she was clearly very busy. Nothing was too much trouble.

At lunch we were looked after by Dotty in the restaurant who attended to us and the other customers as if we were her personal guests.

The staff are a credit to the hotel, which is centrally located and convenient for the local amenities.

Great job everyone!

Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank derbyflan
Reviewed September 8, 2018 via mobile

With the car park as far as possible from reception the hotel has seems initially confusing.

However; for a one night stay it delivers with a comfortable bed, standard room service and a gym and pool to keep at bay the temptation of an hospitable bar area and restaurant.

It is tempting to provide a higher marking but I would reserve judgement until the refurbished kitchen and new head chef are installed and embedded.

It is nonetheless convenient being in the centre of town and also close to the station.

For the business guest it delivers what you need and I am sure for tourists it does the job equally.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed September 7, 2018

Second stay this year, this time in the older part of the building, second floor (no lift).
Large airy room but lacking TLC. A few stains on the bed throw and the carpet, litter in the drawers and an item of clothing under the bed. The four poster bed had one crossbar hanging loose, which I removed as it was dangerour (I did report this to reception). High level dusting needs attention in bedroom and bathroom.
Plenty of hot water and a good shower and bath. These older rooms don't have aircon.
Breakfast the next day was a messy experience, the buffet area is too crowded into a corner and too close to some of the tables. I know it was busy but we all know that at the weekend most guests come down during the last half hour so it was disappointing that most of the food had run out and we had to wait for replenishment, which came in dribs and drabs, and indeed a chef appeared just after 10am (closing time) with lots more food. Mentioned this at check out and our breakfasts were immediately removedfrom the bill without question, which was thr right (though not sought for) response. Having managed a similar sized hotel myself must say that breakfast is the one meal when the majority of your guests are present and is an ideal opportunity for the kitchen team to show their potential. Planning is the key!
I would stay again and hope my points are taken constructively.
Michael Sage, MIH

Room Tip: The new rooms at the back are good
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2018 via mobile

Nice hotel, rooms clean and well furnished.
Staff friendly and helpful.
Breakfast was reasonable, except on the Sunday when they seemed to run out of everything and the staff were rushing around getting more food, plates, etc.
WARNING if comming by car check in before unloading your luggage as reception is a fair way from the carpark and some of the rooms very near, we carried our bags nearly twice as far as necessay.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2018

Room was roasting hot with windows open. No air con, spoke to hotel staff that jut laughed at me and did nothing. Wouldn’t stay there again he staff were rude unhelpful and inappropriate. Hugh disgusted by them

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple