“Steak and Ale Pie”

Price range: US$5 - US$40
Cuisines: Scottish, British
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Family owned pub/restaurant offering local fresh produce in the beautiful surroundings of the Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park. Disabled accessible and family/dog friendly.
Reviewed November 3, 2017

Traditional pub, with old fashioned quirky and beautiful features that were of the it was built. Quick friendly service, we were seated on immediate arrival. A good selection on the menu which also stated how long some meals would take to cook if 20 minutes or over (handy to know for hungry little ones). Vegetables were fresh and tasty and The Steak and Ale Pie with mash was the best I had ever tasted. All home made. Very very tasty. Can't recommend this place enough.

tiger2812, Manager at The Lade Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2017

Thank you for the lovely Trip Advisor review and we are happy to hear how much you loved everything. Please come back again soon for some more Steak Pie.

Reviewed November 3, 2017 via mobile

A welcoming, cosy pub. Dog-friendly with a reasonable menu of hearty grub!
We visited at lunchtime during the week, (arguably) off-season and, despite the best efforts of the very attentive waitress (who was rushed off her feet, poor thing!), the fact that the customer to staff ratio was a little out of whack was obvious. It took about 35 minutes from ordering for some scampi and chips, sausage and mash & a burger and chips to arrive.
Can’t knock the food, the waitress or the general ambience. However, after a long hike, you kind of want things to arrive a little more quickly...

Hello and thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you felt your slight waiting time meant that you could only rate us as average even though you point out that the place is welcoming, staff friendly and food was good. On the day you were in we were short staffed due to illness (this is not a common thing that happens but unfortunate when it does). I am unsure as to whether it did take 35 minutes from ordering your meal however our Burger is on the menu and states a 25 minute cooking time. At busy periods this may be longer as all meals are cooked to order. It may be classed as off season however it is still busy enough as you say for the waitress to be rushed off her feet therefor it was still a busy lunch service. I am unsure as to whether or not you booked a table with us however we do always recommend this to try and avoid customers coming at particularly busy periods.

Again apologies for a slight waiting time but sometimes this cannot be avoided.

Reviewed November 1, 2017 via mobile

Had a lovely dinner here whilst staying overnight at Roman Camp Hotel in Callander, very friendly staff and relaxed atmosphere. The food was fresh and very tasty, particularly enjoyed the chicken stuffed with haggis. Would have loved dessert too but couldn’t find room!

tiger2812, Manager at The Lade Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2017

Many thanks for your review. We are very pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your dinner while staying in the area. We hope that you are able to come back again soon and sample some of our desserts.

Reviewed November 1, 2017

This is probably my sixth or seventh time visiting the Lade Inn and i love this place. After a hard slog up the mountains in the constant rain this was the only thing keeping us focused. And we were not disappointed. I went for my favourite the Wild Mushroom Hotpot, had a fantastic soup for starter and a coffee fro desert. Fantastic.
I had a pint and a bottle of their local brew as well.
Can't wait to go again and show more people.

Thank you so much for your lovely review of The Lade Inn. We are very pleased to hear how much you enjoy visiting us and having a rest after your long walks and the good Scottish weather. We look forward to your next visit and hope that the weather is kinder to you.

Reviewed October 9, 2017

We stopped at 1.40pm on our way north. The Inn was not particularly busy when we arrived but the banquettes in the larger bar were occupied except one. I asked if I could sit there but was told that I could not as the table was not laid so we went to sit in the smaller bar which was somewhat colder but bearable. The attitude of the waitress was indifferent and distant, certainly not welcoming.

A different took our order and I do remember that she read it back to us. The soup and haggis balls arrived in reasonable time. I had also ordered a hamburger and as far as I am aware the terms hamburger and beefburger are synonymous but this appeared to cause some difficulty as one of the waitresses came through and queried my order. I repeated it but at 2.05 was presented with a plate of ham. I sent it back saying that it was not what I had ordered.

Although on your menu it is stated that the order takes 25 minutes any competent cook can cook it in less and having made an error I would have thought that my order would have had some sort of priority but obviously not. A few more customers had come in but the place was certainly not busy. In the time that we waited another couple were served, completed their meal and left.

By 2.30 we felt that we had waited long enough, paid for what we had actually been given and walked out. We paid the young woman we had spoken to when we arrived. Again, her attitude was distant to the point of rudeness with no attempt to apologise for the poor service. I pointed out that it did not necessarily take 25 minutes to cook a hamburger and her response was “That’s what it says on the menu”.

Frank P, Owner at The Lade Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2017

Thanks you for your review and I am sorry you did not enjoy your visit. The waitress you refer to has been with us since the start of the summer. Emily is a 17 year old student on a gap year and we have found her to be friendly and good with customers. She is trained to read back orders to customers, so I am surprised you did not realise she had taken your order as a Ham Baguette. She was very apologetic, when she realised the order was wrong and when you stated you still wanted the Big Yin Burger reminded you the Big Yin takes 25 minutes to cook properly. You are wrong to say we could cook it quicker, why do you think we have the 25 minute cooking time on our menu? The Big Yin is a half pound of solid meat prepared by our chefs and for Cooksafe food safety reasons must be cooked through properly. We are not a fast food restaurant mass producing thin burgers on a production line. After 20 minutes you decided to pay up for your food and leave, even though the Big Yin was nearly ready to be served to you. I do not think it was necessary for you to shout at Emily as you paid the bill, she was already embarrassed enough having had the mix up on your order. Emily was extremely upset after you left and reported the incident in detail to me. She is only 17 and she was simply trying to provide good service to you. She has never had a customer complain to her as aggressively as you did, so not surprisingly she did not know how to respond properly to you.