See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband booked a short break for my birthday in June,what a wonderful choice he made in booking us in 'Bears and Boxes' , from the moment we arrived until the moment we left Fran and Robert treated us so well (even down to giving me a birthday gift and card not to mention a lovely homemade birthday cake!!), Fran's breakfasts are superb and nothing is too much trouble.Fran IS the hostess with the mostest .

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jacqui W
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I meant to write a review of this fantastic B&B immediately after I stayed there last year but never got round to it. So here is a brief review of a superb place.

I stayed here last April with my dog, Molly the collie, and my friend Angela as we were walking 3 sections of the SWCP.

Fran & Robert are wonderful hosts. When we arrived we were immediately offered tea/coffee in the garden and because it was a lovely evening we also had dinner in the garden. Because I’m writing this review late I can’t remember the exact prices of B&B and DB&B – but it was definitely worth it. We chose to have dinner every night because after a day’s strenuous walking all we wanted to do was collapse. Fran is an excellent cook.

We each had our own en-suite room (and weren’t charged a supplement for single occupancy). The rooms were very comfortable, as was the whole of the B&B.

Molly, the collie, couldn’t have been made more welcome. When I was shown to my room there was a duvet, towel and treats for her. And also every morning Fran made her a little breakfast of sausage, egg, beans, etc, etc which she had in her own little bowl in the dining room. Totally spoilt! She certainly doesn’t get that at home.

Can’t remember how many rooms they have but one of the evenings there was a couple staying who were walking the SWCP and Fran was going to drive them to the start of their walk. Because there were two of us with two cars we didn’t need that service but how nice that it’s something they offer.

If you are walking the SWCP or looking for somewhere to stay in the Bude area this is definitely the place to be.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mollycollie
Reviewed April 9, 2012

My wife, daughter and dog all stayed for one night and we wished we could have stayed more. From the moment we walked in, Fran was a perfect host, offering teas and home made cakes and treats for the dog.

our daughter was supposed to stay in our room on a camp bed, but when we arrived, Fran put her in her own room opposite ours as someone had canceled. She utterly loved it. We to will vouch for the king.'s breakfast we received. Couldn't eat til tea time!

Fran made us feel at home and have her use of her lounge so our daughter could watch TV. Great place. Great location. Great hosts. Great value for money. We will definitely be coming back

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank sally24qs
Reviewed November 4, 2011

I genuinely struggle to find the words to express how wonderful an experience staying here was. Upon arrival we were greeted like old friends and offered tea and home made cake. Our dog had his own bed with treats waiting for him. Set in the middle of the country along the north Cornish coast the views from here are breathtaking.

Breakfast each morning was sumptuous, cooked breakfast (the selection is astounding) for hubby and I, and sausage made for the dog! By the third morning (we only stayed three nights, mores the pitty) our dog was waiting in the kitchen for his morning feast!

When we got back after walking in the afternoon more tea and cake was provided and the building itself is lovely. I don't know what to say except this has to be the best place to stay in the area. The owners recommended places to eat and each time they were spot on. I don't think I've eaten so well in ages!

It is a great spot to explore the local countryside/sights. I really can't recommend Bears and Boxes enough.

Room Tip: Gorgeous room, beamed ceilings and fantastic views.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Rosie1985
Reviewed August 16, 2010

We stay here at least once a year, and it gets better every time.
If you are a walker doing the coastal path, Bears & Boxes is ideally positioned. If you are a couple wanting a quiet get away, then this is the place to be.
Fresh cake and tea (or coffee) greets you on arrival, and then just enjoy the peace. All the rooms are comfortable furnished and thanks to digital boxes there is good reception on the tv if you can stay awake long enough to watch it. All the rooms have powerful showers with ample hot water, and the shower gel etc is supplied by the local herb centre at St Kitts.
There is a large tv in the lounge, where a log fire waits for you on the colder summer evenings. Forgetting a book isn't a problem as there is an ample supply of books in each room and downstairs in the reading area, plus a vast selection of reference books and maps.
In the morning fresh milk is supplied with the refreshments tray in your room (no having to struggle with those nasty little plastic pots when you are half a sleep). Then it's down to breakfast, where the aroma of the fresh bread greets. If it's a cooked breakfast you want, then you name it and it's normally available, and if it isn't and you are staying a second night, then it often is the next morning.
Fran will cook evening meals if they are prebooked. But be warned, if you've had Fran's breakfast and then are having an evening meal, don't have a large lunch - you'll need the space for the evening meal.

Not only are the little things you may have forgotten available, like cotton buds, and shoe cleaning. But there is normally a selection of body boards, buckets and spades available too.

Fran and Robert are the perfect host and hostess, and Bears & Boxes is the perfect place to visit for peace and quiet and to return to again and again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family