New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Rhinefield House Hotel

Rhinefield House Hotel
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Brockenhurst
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
“Beautiful, Relaxing, friendly hotel!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

My and my boyfriend recently visited the Rhinefield house hotel, it is a beautiful hotel and is very relaxng.

The rooms are spacious and have lovely big comfy beds and lovely well equiped bathrooms with a towel rail that is always piping hot!!!

We didnt eat in the hotel resturant for dinner but we had a lounge snack which was good and breakfast was delicious on all three mornings! The breakfast menu offers a range of choices and of course the full english. Room service for breakfast has no charge which in our eyes was BRILLIANT as there was no need rush to get ready in the morning!

The spa is really relaxing all in mood lighting with a spa pool, a small swimming pool sauna and steam room. Whenever we vistited the spa it was always quiet and children can only swim between certain times. We also had a couple of treatments a neck back and shoulder massage which was brilliant and a sea salt scrub which left you silky smooth. Becky was the therapist and she was very friendly and welcoming!!!

All the staff at Rhinefield were friendly and interested in the day you have had. Me and my boyfriend got engaged whilst we were at the hotel and the staff were helpful and we even recieved a bottle of champagne!

A lovely, beautiful, relaxing, friendly hotel! We will be going back!!!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
JonathanOwen, General Manager at Rhinefield House Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Dear Guest

May I firstly convey on behalf of Rhinefield House our many congratulations on getting engaged at the hotel.

I was pleased to read that all aspects of your stay were excellent and that you enjoyed your treatments in the Spa. Becky is our senior therapist and since joining the team has received numerous compliments about her manner and treatments.

I know from speaking to the team that they were keen to ensure everything was perfect for the proposal and going that little bit extra to make your stay so perfect gave them great pleasure.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Rhinefield House and who knows maybe for the wedding!

Jonathan Owen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
Oxford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

My husband and I stayed for two nights and had a lovely time.
All the staff were very friendly and attentive, room was lovely – huge! and overlooked the forest. Loved the Do not disturb animals, they look so funny as you walk along the corridors – what a great idea!
We ate in their main restaurant for our first night – and wow fantastic food. Whilst the wine prices were a little steep we had a very relaxing evening with waiters in no hurry to move you along and the best tasting food too.
The second evening we asked if reception could recommend a pub nearby, they couldn’t do enough for us, suggesting somewhere, phoning to check availability for us and then booking us a table after we said yes please. Really really helpful.
Great walks from this hotel, and reasonable Spa for a dip afterwards.
We will be returning as the cream teas looked amazing, so any excuse to visit to try them when the sun shines so we can sit in their fab garden chilling out!

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Trip Advisor.

Our new additions to the family for Do Not Disturb signs are proving to be a huge success and yes to see Hedgehogs, Fowls, Squirrels all lined up outside doors is very comical!

I was very pleased to read that the team were friendly and attentive and that you felt totally relaxed and never rushed during your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Rhinefield House to enjoy one of our amazing cream teas and hopefully plenty of sunshine!

Lancaster
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

Wonderful wedding venue, very friendly helpful staff especially the MC who was on the doorstep greeting guests as they arrived and who provided a particularly warm and individual service throughout. The room was excellent - nice touch to have names instead of numbers - however the shower seemed unable to keep a constant temperature which was a shock when it suddenly went cold! The food at the reception was fabulous and very professionally served. My only negative observation was the breakfast the following morning - the food was good but certain items ran out when most of the guests arrived at the same time and it took some time to replenish the hot food. The staff coped as well as they could but I feel more of them were needed for that short time. All in all, a great weekend!

Room Tip: Our room named Redshank has a lovely view into the woods although I expect all the rooms have fabulo...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
JonathanOwen, General Manager at Rhinefield House Hotel, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review following your wedding at Rhinefield House Hotel. Congratulations to you both.
I was very pleased to read your enjoyed stay and that your wedding day was ‘Wonderful’ Our Toast Masters do indeed complement the day with their experience and humour! I will certainly have a look at the water temperature in your bathroom and pass on your very kind comments to all the team.
I look forward to maybe welcoming you back on your anniversary when I can assure you of our very best attention.

Reading, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

.Front desk staff and few staff from the restaurant were very friendly and helpful and the Breakfast was superb, however everything else was less than average.
We stayed here for only one night, arrived on Monday by 13:45 with the room booked for 15:00, however the person in the front desk helped us immediately and send us to our room. Once in there we had a little bit of a shock. The room was very old and in desperate need of TLC. The toilet wasn’t clean enough and my wife cleaned the bowl as I was killing a small sort of roach on the floor. The mat they suggest us to use in the bath tube was very yellowish from use and disgusting so we never used.
At 15:00 we had a spa treatment paid included on our day so we head up there.
The Lady in the front desk was ok and booked us in. My wife had facial and nails done while I wanted for over one hour, as this was the only person working in there. After about 45 minutes I went outside to see what was going on and found my wife doing her nail without having any conversation at all with the lady. I must stress that at no point during my 2 ½ hours inside the place, the attendant SPA made any eye contact with us or said a word apart from thank you you’re done and bye, so she was extremely boring.
We went back to our room by 17:30 and had dinner booked for 20:00 in the main grill restaurant. During our stay we have heard from the staff at t least 6 times that it was all freshly made local food in the restaurant.
Back in the room the heating did not heated the room properly and there was a 3rd bedside table which was clearly out of place and probably just left in there due to lack of space elsewhere.
The TV remote control didn’t work properly and I could not change the channel immediately, instead I had to wait about 6/7 seconds before the tele acknowledged. Decided to not spoil our day we didn’t want to make a big deal about the heating and the Tele so we had a quick knap until our dinner at 20:00.
At 20:00 we got in the restaurant and that was an Asian male who looked like was dealing with some receipts issue and told us to wait. We were left in the there for about 5 minutes until a lovely Slovakian lady helped us to settle down on our table. Another young lad really polite and friendly came in and took our wine order. I’ve asked for suggestions and my wife ordered a full thermidor lobster and I ordered the Angus filet. We had bread and butter and a decent starter, but it took us exactly one hour to receive our main dish and in between this period I was able to noticed that 1- the restaurant wasn’t full, 2- the table on my left wasn’t happy with the food, 3- they used frozen food as I’ve noticed a pack of frozen potatoes hang around for good 20 minutes on the top of the kitchen shelf.
My order finally arrived and my medium rare filet was completely rare and my wife’s lobster had only one half. Not to mention it was cold and full of the frozen chips on it. As I’ve had enough I’ve decided to complain and the same Asian male told me that my filet was medium rare and my order was half of a lobster. He did offered to fix the issues but I was so pissed that I did not want anything else, especially after waiting for one hour. We almost didn’t touch at the food and completely spoiled our night. We ordered 2 desserts but were awful and clearly frozen stuff. Honestly the only thing who saved our dinner night was the 2 bottle of wines charged £31 each, which was pretty good. I know I can purchase the same Mendonza malbec for £7.99 so £31 for a “claimed” local gem freshly made it food restaurant was ok.
This morning we had some lovely breakfast and it was perfect, the staff, the eggs benedict and the OJ.
When I settle my bill I’ve noticed they decided only to charge me for one wine rather than 2 which was good, but I’ve also noticed an £189 for the restaurant bill. We had a gift certificate to use for £300 so I only had to pay £89 for the remaining of my bill, but I can honestly say that if I have had to pay £189 for the rubbish dinner I would have refused and create a big deal about it.
The bottom line is that this place is in a desperately need of a full refurbishment, the cleaning standards of the room are horrible and the restaurant is nowhere near having any pride at all as they sell frozen food and desserts which was an added insult.

4 Thank rodsguerreiro
JonathanOwen, General Manager at Rhinefield House Hotel, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

On behalf of my management team may I offer our sincere apologies for the impression you received from your stay. Unlike many guests who leave very positive reviews on Trip Advisor you were clearly disappointed with your stay.

As the general manager my commitment to all feedback is to thoroughly investigate all situations allowing me to understand why and how such situations can occur and why at no point a duty manager was not made aware of your disappointment. My management team are committed to ensuring our guest’s stays exceed their expectations and when any negative feedback is received we go out of our way to ensure that guests feel we have reacted accordingly to their comments and restored the faith. I firmly believe that word of mouth is the most important form of marketing and I would have personally met with you had you made us aware of your stay.

Lisa my new head housekeeper has discussed your bedroom and bathroom presentation with her team, as well as William my food services manager discussing your restaurant service. The Grill Room has been a tremendous success and does feature local produce, with regret and thankfully this does not occur frequently when we have a busy period we do take items off the menu or offer alternatives – hence frozen chips. I can assure you no other ingredients or dishes are frozen. Norman my head chef is aware of your comments about the Grill and has already arranged for this to be focused in his team meeting this week.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed your breakfast.

Rhinefield House is committed to a refurbishment programme of some bedrooms and lounge space this year and thankfully is a part of a company that is frequently looking at the building and taking onboard our comments to improve the guests experience.

I would ask that you contact me personally in the future so I may arrange your next stay and ensure you of our very best attention.

Best Wishes

Poulton-le-Fylde, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Super wedding venue, good grounds and room, the staff were extremely helpful and professional, wedding meal was superb especially the lamb. Only one fault the breakfast the following morning was unable to cope with most of the wedding guests arriving between 9-10 am should have been better prepared for this to happen.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
JonathanOwen, General Manager at Rhinefield House Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Dear Guest

May I firstly convey many congratulations on your recent wedding!

I was extremely delighted to read you had a great day and that the food and service was excellent.

William my food services manager was interested to learn that your breakfast service the next day did not reflect the high standards you experienced on your wedding day. Please accept his sincere apologies for this.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Rhinefield House in the very near future.

reading
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

I booked my 5oth birthday lunch at Rhinefield House and was delighted with the excellent level of service which my family and I received. I booked the Alhambra room which is fantastic, together with the Armada adjoining room for the younger members of the family. The whole event was a great success and the staff could not have been more helpful and attentive to both the adult, and child, guests. Highly recommended!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank jane m
JonathanOwen, General Manager at Rhinefield House Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to feedback on Trip Advisor following your recent celebration lunch at Rhinefield House.

The Alhambra Room a very popular private dining room for special occasions. I was so pleased to read that the day was a ‘great success’ and that the team members could not have been more helpful and attentive.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when I can assure you of our very best attention.

Southampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

What a terrible night! Our room was not ready on arrival at 3pm!! We had to wait in a drab/ cold/waiting room, as the lounge was fully booked for afternoon tea. The bedroom when we arrived was lovely, which was a shame compared to the rest of our stay. They had two functions on as well as overnight guests and this was their greed. They could not cope with the amount of people and the service and food suffered. We were shown to our table in the a la carte restaurant at 8pm to be pliied with bread rolls and no food until 9.15. The food was cold and bland. To make matters worse the head waiter could not deal with our complaint and totally ignored us for the rest of the night. Beware if you book you need to ensure it is not too busy, as the hotel suffers!!!

3 Thank Graham J
JonathanOwen, General Manager at Rhinefield House Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

I was very dissapointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay. Whilst your bedroom was lovely i have taken the opportunity to discuss your feedback on the restaurant both in service and food with my management team. They have asked me to convey thier sincere apologies to you for this impression.
I can assure you that irrespective of how many functions the hotel hosts we have indivdual teams who look after each event.
I would ask that when you are next in the New Forest to contact me personnally so i may arrange your stay personnally.

Jonathan Owen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
4.0 km away
5.7 km away
The Crown Manor House Hotel
10.9 km away
Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort

Been to Rhinefield House Hotel? Share your experiences!