“Great But ?”

Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Shipston-on-Stour
“Great But ?”
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed here in november 2011 and returned despite problems regarding the food we ate in the restaraunt on the first night we had our wine and that was it the meal never came owing to the chef mis-placing the order and after waiting an hour we gave up why staff hadn t realised was puzzling, After a apology by the manager we tried again next night, meal was fine but we didn,t get any wine despite twice reminding waitress we had ordered a bottle. 3rd night we got both meal and wine although not the bottle we had ordered. Despite this, everything else was exceptional so decided to return and did so staying 15/16 April 2012 again we thoroughly enjoyed our stay staff were brilliant special mention for Sandy who seemed to pop up everywhere and the gentleman in the lounge bar sorry didn,t get name (grey suit and beard) who was very helpful but what a shame service in the restaurant does not seemed to have improved, we witnessed a couple leave the breakfast room on the first morning after waiting 45 minutes for their breakfast which never arrived and on the second morning we had to ask the waitress for milk and cereal bowls which she got very promptly but has we sat down to eat our cereals she arrived with our cooked breakfast which she placed alongside our cereals which meant they had gone cold when we were ready for them, it may seem a bit trivial but this is the first time this has ever happened to us and we stay very often in hotels and little things make you think about returning, despite this again everything else was brilliant and we do intend to return

1 Thank davidnsmith
JonathanOwen, General Manager at Rhinefield House Hotel, responded to this review, 18 April 2012

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

I was pleased to read that after a disappointing stay last year you thoroughly enjoyed your recent visit to Rhinefield House. It is always a pleasure when we restore lost faith and hopefully reaffirms the teams commitment to exceeding our guests expectations. Sandy has been with the hotel now for the past 6 months and regularly receives glowing comments about her hospitality and customer care, she is a real asset to the hotel in her capacity as Restaurant Supervisor.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and certainly your impression was disappointing, there were other factors which impacted the delay on serving hot breakfast that morning which were with regret out of our control however this does not excuse the continental breakfast presentation.

I am pleased that you found all other aspects of your stay brilliant and that you will return at which point I look forward to welcoming you back to Rhinefield House when i can assure you of our very best attention.

Jonathan Owen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
London
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We had a wonderful stay at the Rhinefield. All the staff were so helpful and friendly, particularly the general manager, Jonathan and receptionist, Kathryn. Nothing was too much trouble. The Hotel itself is magnificent and you must take time to appreciate it. The food a delight, so beautifully presented and really scrumptious.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
JonathanOwen, General Manager at Rhinefield House Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2012

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

I was pleased to read that you found the team to be helpful and friendly and that you singled out Kathryn for special mention. I will certainly convey these kind words along with your compliments for the food to Norman my head chef.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Rhinefield House in the very near future when I can assure you of our very best attention.

Reviewed 14 April 2012

Great setting in the middle of the forest, very comfortable, spacious and clean rooms. Extremely comfortable bed and excellent facilities and 'extras' in the room. Service in the bar and evening Armada restaurant excellent, although breakfast felt a little less special as staff were so busy.
Spa facilities were pleasant, but could be considered small if there are too many people there at one time. However, we spent 1 1/2 hours there and felt we had enough space to use the various areas individually.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
JonathanOwen, General Manager at Rhinefield House Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2012

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and found the service in the bar and Armada restaurant to be excellent during your stay. Thank you for your feedback on breakfast, we always endeavour to staff accordingly and at Rhinefield House the majority of guests enjoy a more leisurely breakfast which can on occasions mean between 9.30am and 10.00am we do serve the majority of guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Rhinefield House in the very near future.

Berkhamsted
Reviewed 14 April 2012

We were the guest of friends who had never been here before for dinner on a Friday evening. We were booked into the Grill Room. This is such a beautiful location and a charming old building. The drive to it is spectacular. The car park is quite a way from the entrance to the hotel and Grill Room and we were lucky that it was not raining. The entrance to the Grill Room is rather disappointing in contrast with the rest of the old buildings. Through a dog leg corridor, with no signage to a door into the Grill Room unlabelled and no one to greet us. Eventually a waiter arrived and went for his Master.

We were shown to our table and left. No offer of drinks and quite a while before we were given menus. Our waiter Angel, was Spanish and had just started there. He was eventually persuaded to bring us some drinks. I asked him to explain a dish on the menu but he was unable to help and explained that he was new.

The view from the Grill Room is over an ornamental walled garden, the tables a fair size and the seats comfortable. Crisp linen tablecloth and napkins, heavy flat ware and quality glassware adorn the table. The acoustics were somewhat echoey. A serving of warmed baguette arrived with a generous blob of butter and a sprinkling of salt crystals. It became clear that there were not enough serving staff and we were given an apology from the head waiter for the delays. The menu selection was very interesting and it was difficult to chose from so many tempting favourites. My host and I shared a starter platter of Parma Ham, olives, sun dried tomatoes, garlic bread and a baked Camembert. The portions were very generous and the food was delicious. The baked Camembert with the warm garlic bread sticks was spectacular.

My main course was a locally reared sirloin steak billed on the menu as reared within 5 miles of the restaurant. I ordered it rare and it arrived as medium-rare (in my view) but was OK. My wife ordered a medium and it arrived the same medium-rare. They took her's back and grilled it a little more with no problem. The steak was really tasty and worthy of its star billing. It was served on a raft of green beans and a criss cross stack of thrice cooked fries.The fries were a little greasy and I have tasted better (The Nelson Tavern in Mudeford for example) but overall the meal was good. It came served on a wooden plank, with a small jug of peper sauce, delicious, and was piping hot. I do not like eating from planks as I think they are for poseurs and are unhygienic. I commented to the waiter and he immediately offered to change my plank for a plate. I persevered with the split plank.

My host chose the wine, a delicious Italian 'Riva Leone Barbera' a 2010 Piemonte. I have never heard of this wine before and it was wonderful but at £27 a bottle was very overpriced for a wine that can be bought online for £6 a bottle. It was the least expensive wine on the wine list. We drank two bottles, had one bottle of still water and two of us drank coffee. The bill came to £230 before the tip.

The food and surroundings here are really special. However, the service was poor, slow, unprofessional and not to the standard that the menu prices and surroundings should dictate. Clutter was not cleared from our table at anytime, we were not asked if our food was OK, we were not offered more drinks, more water or more coffee. To pay the bill by credit card meant a trek by our host with a waiter to the front desk reception where it was apparently hard for the clerk to deal with a non-resident not wanting to charge to a room or settle a room account.

The final issue was negotiating the unlit walk back to the carpark. I used my iPod as a torch (good Boy Scout eh?). We had a great evening because nothing could have spoiled the excellent company that we enjoyed. The food was special but the service poor. I am sure that this is a spectacular location for weddings and functions and as a hotel it looks lovely but if they are serious about offering a Grill Room service to diners for around £60 a head then they need to seriously up their game and quality of service.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comprehensive review of your dinner in the Grill Room.

Whilst I was pleased to read you enjoyed the quality of the food I was concerned to learn of your impression of service. Since launching the Grill last year we have received numerous accolades and praise for our hospitality and service. William my food services manager has already communicated your review to the team and they are planning on thoroughly evaluating your feedback at their departmental meeting next week.

May I thank you again for placing your review and maybe next time the team can look forward to welcoming you back to our Armada Restaurant.

Windsor
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Spent a lovely 2 nights here with my boyfrend and some other friends walking around the new forest. Although our room was a little small, we really enjoyed the hotel - very majestic, clean, comfortable and warm. Drinks and bar food were a little pricey and they had a strange breakfast system - we were shown to one dining room and sat down, but kept seeing other people randomly turned away to the other dining room or sat down in ours - v. strange. Had Eggs Benedict one morning and the hollandaise sauce had split, but ths is the only thing I can fault! Very nice overall!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
JonathanOwen, General Manager at Rhinefield House Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your stay at Rhinefield House.

I was pleased to read that you and your boyfriend enjoyed your stay and the forest. We have several rooms which we use for breakfast and guests are allocated to different rooms dependant on the time they come down for breakfast this ensures a sensible time waiting for our excellent cooked breakfast.

On behalf of all the team I look forward to welcoming you back to Rhinefield House in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I really liked this hotel, as you approach the hotel on the driveway either side is forest area with ponies grazing and when you see the hotel it looks like a castle.
The room (can't remember name, began with 'F'!) was spacious and comfy. The window was open a little so the room smelt really fresh but wasn't cold which was lovely. Bathroom fine, good choice of toiletries. What I liked was Sky sports available on the TV; generous selection of different coffees, hot choc, teas with biscuits and 2 bottles of water chilling in the fridge. When we returned from dinner, the hotel had put fresh water bottles by the ones we'd opened.
It had been a bit of a mission making a dinner reservation back when I booked the stay, then stil on arrival reception said we were in the other restaurant, luckily they were able to change us over. We had a few drinks in the lounge area sitting looking out over the grounds before dinner. It would have been helpful if when given the menu to read in the bar, we were advised what the kitchen had ran out of, however there were plenty of choices still available and maybe they had only just run out. The meal itself was absolutely wonderful, the steak on the main course was really good quality and well cooked. I wouldn't say either the bar or restaurant service was quick, a few times we had to attract attention, but all the staff were very friendly and courteous and in all fairness it's not like we were in a rush to get somewhere, just keen to have a few drinks! Didn't have the breakfast as were still full from dinner.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
JonathanOwen, General Manager at Rhinefield House Hotel, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for placing a review on Trip Advisor following your stay at Rhinefield House.

I believe you stayed in our Foxglove bedroom one of our executives which over look the forest. Our hospitality trays do feature many different types of fair trade products and I can highly recommend the hot chocolate!

Both our restaurants are available for our guests and as stated dining reservations are imperative to avoid disappointment. We are always reviewing our processes to ensure guests receive the very best service. The Grill room has a large comprehensive menu and I was pleased to read you enjoyed your steak.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the New Forest and Rhinefield House in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2012

I'm a little bit late in writing this review, as I stayed here on wednesday the 29th of Feb 2012 in The Walker Suite. There are no words to describe how beautiful this house and grounds are and the room is breath-taking. It is far bigger and even nicer than the pictures on their website.

I wanted to set up a really romantic evening for the boyfriend, so whilst we were at dinner, staff went up to our room and ran a warm bath in the massive roll top bath, candle lit the whole bathroom and scattered rose petals on the bed and bath room floor as well as leaving us soom champagne and truffles right by the bath so we could relax and enjoy. Correspondance with the staff was amazing and nothing was too much trouble for them.

The spa was perfect, not a massive spa but has everything you need with soft lighting and spent the majority of the first day in here.

Food in the brasserie was impeccable and the waitress was incredibly friendly, always made sure our glasses were topped up.

And finally the grounds were amazing, the 2nd day we just decided to take off into the woods and see where it led too, well it led to a few hours of the boyfriend and I feeling 10 again, climbing trees, crossing rivers and trying to spot the local wildlife. Unfortunately the only wildlife we did see were some deer on the hotel grounds, nothing out in the woods on that day.

It was an amazing experience and the fact that the staff were always on hand to help, and the hotel itself was romantic, recluse and a million miles away from everyday life. It was just the break I needed.

Could not recommend highly enough!

Room Tip: If you can afford it definitely go for the The Walker Suite, you almost have your own wing of the ho...