“Crepes and great coffee”
Review of Cafe du Parc

Cafe du Parc
Ranked #29 of 153 Restaurants in Bideford
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 8, 2017

We use this cafe to meet and catch up. We come early more because it is such a favourite of gets very busy. The acoustics do need considering! (Acousdtic clouds?)It can be impossible to talk.
But we are very fond of this gem. Service is good, food too!

1  Thank 635anne48

Reviewed September 30, 2017 via mobile

We went on a Saturday for lunch. Very busy, mix of customers - families, couples, groups of friends. Good choice of food - soup, baguettes, crepes etc, also extensive range of drinks and beverages.

I asked if it was possible to have to Croque Monsieur without ham and was advised that they were prepared in advance so the ham would have to be taken out. Being vegetarian I declined and thought this was considerate. I had the cheese & rocket crepe which was different and tasty but would advise having a salad or frites with it as not very filling on its own.
We visited the gallery and returned for tea and cakes. Excellent Millionaires shortbread - the chocolate cracked as you bit into it!
Not too expensive, clean, friendly and helpful staff.
Well worth a visit.

1  Thank Shirley61281
Reviewed September 7, 2017

On entering we met our first staff member, who was a short grey haired lady, who was huffing and puffing and seemed mildly irritated that she had to clean up a table. We then went up to order and the same lady appeared behind the counter and took our order. There was no 'hello' or 'welcome' or any pleasantries, and every time we told her an item that we wanted she'd say in a rather terse way 'Is that all?' or 'Is that it?' When we said we wanted an ice cream, she sighed and said 'give me a minute' and walked away in the opposite direction. I can only imagine that she was having a bad day, as surely she can't have a customer facing role with behavior like that.

We ordered a couple of galettes, and an amiable young man cooked this for us. We were happily admiring the tattoo on his arm when we noticed his finger nails...they were filthy, absolutely filled with black dirt, they could not have been washed in a week...and he was sprinkling cheese onto the galette and swirling the egg directly with his fingers. I hate to think how much bacteria he added to the food. Why were his fingers so filthy when he was handling food? Why wasn't he wearing gloves? This is basic hygiene!

Then our final encounter with a staff member was positive, the young blonde lady who served our food was cheerful, helpful and there wasn't a speck of dirt on her hands.

The food itself was pretty good, but as we were eating I couldn't help thinking of Stig of the Dump's black finger nails and whether or not this was going to make us ill...which somewhat marred the culinary experience.

Seriously, with some basic management, this could have been a great experience. I urge the manager to make the staff wash their hands and wear gloves when handling food, and for the short, grey haired lady to simply try being polite to customers. We could not imagine coming back here again and having to deal with her rudeness.

2  Thank Ryan M
Reviewed August 31, 2017 via mobile

Coffee or a feed, whatever your after you can get it here inside outside setting, with a great view of the entire park.

1  Thank Pepperz83
Reviewed August 22, 2017

I was not sure what to expect here as last time I visited was a while ago and it must have changed hands. The service is slow, the people sat next to us had to remind the waitress of their order they had been waiting ages. This did not bother me, and you can take your time as it is very very relaxed. It was a busy lunch time. I am not sure about the service. It never seemed clear if it was waitress service or not. It is not, I may have missed the notice but when you do queue it seems to take forever. I think they need to rethink this. The food choice is not huge and centres around French delights. They have a special daily choice. I had a salad, that was lovely and healthy and other half had a Treblac savory buck wheat pancake with gammon, egg and two cheeses. It does state on the menu that the egg inside is miroir. I would not have eaten it as the egg was very underdone. The waitress explained that it is difficult to judge the egg in the pancake when cooking, (after Sir had eaten it all up), a good point and she did say that they usually explain this to folks at the start so I will share that knowledge here in case they forget. They have other choices so don't let that put you off, I just can't do undercooked egg at all. The cakes are nice the coffee is fine but a little bitter/ burnt tasting or it was when we were there. All the food ingredients and care for a great place are here but the service part needs more thought.

1  Thank rae62