“More than a Coffee Shop”

The Black Faced Sheep Coffee Shop & Emporium
Ranked #2 of 2 Coffee & Tea in Aboyne
Reviewed July 31, 2017

The Black Faced Sheep Coffee Shop doubles up as a shop selling tasteful household goods. We had an excellent quick coffee but the accompanying scone was nothing special. Service was excellent and the surroundings relaxing. Perhaps because we visited towards the end of the day the experience was not up to scratch. Nothing in particular I could put my finger on but the experience was average. The menu looked comprehensive although on this occasion we settled for the coffee and the scone. Perhaps next time...

Reviewed July 30, 2017 via mobile

After hearing good things about this place over the years perhaps my expectations were a little high. Our visit today has certainly sorted that however. Quiet and un-engaging service, very poor quality food at premium prices. My poached salmon salad consisted of an 80's style salad with hot poached (in a microwave- from our table we could see into the kitchen) salmon I'll-advisedly placed on top of the cold salad and what I suspect was a formerly frozen petit pan. It was what it was but for £8.99 I had higher expectations. My husbands soup tasted floury at £4.50 and his smoked venison petit pan, at £7.50 was the size of a side roll and would have been improved by some form of butter along with the meat placed in the roll. Is it a little too much to expect that if you buy a filled roll then it is the main feature of the plate and not some salad, crisps and over-refrigerated beetroot salad? With a cup of tea and glass of mineral water our total bill was effectively £25 which is approaching the price of a decent 2 course lunch for 2 in the right place. Would not reccomend this place at all and am sure there are better options, less dated and more friendly, in the vicinity.

3  Thank OCTV1
Reviewed July 22, 2017 via mobile

Tried to have lunch here but ended up leaving before we were served.
Came in, sat down, waited.... and waited, finally got a menu... Then waited and waited. Got annoyed up and left. The menu looked ok but was alot more expensive than spider on a bike, the restraunt we finally ate at.
If your in Aboyne my recomend at ion would be Spider, excellent service and food there.

2  Thank haggistaster
Reviewed May 22, 2017 via mobile

Very nice café and 'emporium'. Ideal for lunch or Tea/coffee and their home made cakes are always delicious
Only criticism is it's a bit pricey. However I always visit when I am in the area!

Reviewed April 16, 2017

A quick stop for us on a pre-Easter visit, and it was back to an old favourite here - the smoked salmon and cream cheese bagel, while my daughter had a tomato and mozzarella salad. It was delicious, with a lovely salad, and really lovely mustard and olive oil dressing.

But it's the cakes that make this worth the trip. Really delicious, many gluten and some dairy free (although served warm with mascarpone, which surely misses the point...). And the cheesecake. Died and gone to heaven cheesecake. They also do take away - for whole cakes, if you order in advance. Saved my bacon at Christmas this year, and I took full advantage at Easter again :-) "Why yes, this delicious, melt-in-your-mouth-best-you've-ever-had cheesecake WAS home made. I'm so glad you like it!" Yes, I'm probably going to hell, but it will be with a happy smile on my face!

lovely little shop too - good place to shop for Christmas presents later in the season!