“'What a fantastic 50th Birthday weekend venue'”

The Lodge on the Loch
Ranked #8 of 10 Restaurants in Aboyne
Price range: US$0 - US$99
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Scottish
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Situated in 55 acres of stunning scenery literally a stones throw from Aboyne Loch, The Lodge on the Loch’s unparalleled surroundings and exceptional facilities are amongst the most impressive in Scotland’s North East. Set against the stunning backdrop of the Cairngorms National Park, the Loch side Restaurant is accredited by Eat Scotland, and offers a relaxed affordable fine-dining experience in peerless Scottish tranquillity. Ideal for anything from informal dining to special occasions, customers can enjoy wonderfully varied and healthy cuisine. Head Chef Sandy Cowie is an award winning Grampian Chef and the delectable fare reflects his devotion to quality locally sourced ingredients and culinary innovation.
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Jean and Derek were absolutely wonderful hosts. 16 of us ate the first night of a 3 day weekend break and all of us had excellent service and meals.
5 couples who were attending my 50th birthday weekend bash stayed 3 nights in the hotel and raved about the rooms, breakfasts, care and attention of the hosts and of course the most magnificent location. The rooms are at least 4 star quality with breath taking views across the loch.
The hot buffet food for my 50th birthday party was delicious and plentiful...Jean and Derek were very attentive and made my birthday weekend much more than I could have hoped for. We were blessed with a great sunset sky over the loch too!
I am amazed when I read the negative reviews!!! I guess you will never please everyone all of the time!!!

Reviewed 9 September 2011

We stayed at the hotel and ate there for the three nights of our stay, the menu had lots of choice without being overpowering and out of the 16 people in the group we ate with everyone thoroughly enjoyed their meals. The presentation was beautiful and this matched the taste. If your looking for good food while taking in wonderful views then this restaurant comes highly recommended.

1  Thank June M
Reviewed 8 September 2011

Oh dear, never be back. If you're looking for a "tuck in" go somewhere else.
Place was empty, that must tell you something..
When asked by the owner/manager "how was your meal, we did complain about the small
Portions but was just offered a feeble "sorry"!!!! No customer relations there then!!!!!!

2  Thank HimandHerTwo
Reviewed 3 September 2011

Chose from the 'Tapas' menu, having done this many times before in Tapas restaurants in Spain and other cities. The offering was a disappointment to say the least. Meatballs appeared to be partially defrosted, baby squid was so tiny it was too small to eat (pea sized??). Gambas was OK and partner said the langustine tails were OK (but appeared to have been cooked too quickly). Olive and green salad had no olives. Fairly pricey for what you get. We weren't asked if the offering was OK until payment.

1  Thank Mal777
Reviewed 15 August 2011

I recently stayed here for the weekend as it was the venue for a wedding I was attending. The view was nice, and the day before the wedding the staff seemed very stressed- which was semi-forgivable- but at the actual wedding and the following day the staff were slow and seemingly annoyed at having to work. My table was close to the bar and I could hear staff moaning about guests more clearly than I could hear speeches!
The following day the owner/manager also chose to block in another guest's car as his parking annoyed him apparently, even though the guest was parked in a marked space! It was quite unbelievable that paying guests were treated in such fashion.
I would strongly advise not to stay here as despite their 'independantly reviewed awards' they don't seem to appreciate that you are the customer and not just an inconvienence to the staff for the night.

7  Thank Laura W