All reviews big plans nothing too much trouble great location the ground floor good size room was clean sea front sea view steve ironman bedding pavilion seafront proprietor
Reviewed January 5, 2018

Five of us stayed at the Alexandra Hotel for the New Year celebrations from 30th Dec 2017 to 2nd Jan 2018 and would recommend this hotel as it is in a fantastic location for the town and the beach. The Hotel manager, Steve, has great plans to refurbish the whole hotel so I will be interested to see how it all looks when it re-opens in March. The rooms were big and airy with a see view, the bedding spotless and beds really comfy. Although there were problems with the TV it really depends how much time you want to spend in the room. We only use it while we are getting ready in the morning and perhaps to chill out for an hour in the afternoon. The building is full of character with winding staircases and with pretty ceiling covings. We would definitely stay here again and look forward to seeing the renovations. Good Luck Steve and thanks for having us.

Room Tip: Good access, clean rooms and lovely sea views
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank terrihopkins63
Reviewed November 22, 2017 via mobile

I stayed at the Alexandra for a weekend whilst visiting the local area. Set on the seafront, this is a traditional hotel with plenty of character and charm.
The location is excellent giving access to all local amenities and attractions. It also offers free Wifi and parking which is an added bonus.

Upon arrival, I received a warm and personal welcome from the owner Steve; he was very friendly and couldn't do enough to help. He had an extensive knowledge of the area and was able to recommend costal walks, places to eat etc.

The double room was more than adequate, a good size with a wonderful view of the coastline. The bed was extremely comfortable and the fresh towels each day and bottles of water were a welcome addition. The bathroom although a little dated, was clean and functional.

The Alexandra is fantastic value for money and exceeded all expectations. I would certainly recommend this hotel and would definitely book again.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed October 16, 2017 via mobile

Me & my girlfriend stayed here for two nights (Friday & Saturday) and were impressed by its excellent location and friendly owner, Steve.

Two main issues we had were:

1) Parking - there is an incredibly small enclosed parking area at the back of the hotel but you are lucky if you can easily fit about 3-4 vehicles in there. There is a permit parking system on the road in front of the hotel (which they have permits for) but there are virtually never any spaces (bear in mind this is in October!). Alternatively there is a public car park near the back of the hotel which is free between 6pm - 8am.

2) Condition of the hotel - the basics are all there but it’s clear it has suffered a lack of investment over the years. The new owner, Steve, has only been there since earlier this year and plans to give the whole place a refresh at the start of 2018.

Overall, the hotel was adequate. Hopefully it will reach its full potential soon

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul D
Reviewed October 2, 2017

We stayed at the hotel on Saturday the 30th of September as a late getaway with the little one. Upon arriving we parked in the pavilion but the Hotel does offer parking.

The chap who ran the Hotel was very friendly and helpful and showed us to our room, it did overlook the car park but to be honest that was perfect as had brought our four year old and was quieter than being at the from of the Hotel nearer the sea front. The room was clean and the beds were very comfy. The Hotel had great WIFI coverage.

I read from other reviews that it was undergoing work and we would come back again as it is now so cant wait to see what its going to look like when its been done up.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed October 2, 2017 via mobile

This must be the worst hotel ever!!!
How can this place call themselves a hotel??? No food! Not even breakfast! I firstly booked this hotel back in July as a last minute hol for myself and 2 children, aged 10 and 15. As I was unwell at the time of booking I couldn’t go so had to re-arrange for a later date,29sept-1 Oct.
At first when I arrived (Friday evening)we were late getting in as the drive down was horrendously long and rained constantly from Birmingham.(I watched tv in the room)
The following morning seemed ok, we had 2 hours of sun!! although small signs appeared of how bad this “hotel” really was! There was stained curtains in our room no 7. The shower head in the bathroom shower was faulty,and the light on the one side of the bed didn’t work, but I was willing to over look these, and other issues,as the owner fitted a new bulb while we was out! Although it was SO bright I couldn’t use it! Which defeated the object.
The final straw was on the Saturday evening we went out to get something to eat(raining again!) no ones fault, but spoils things, especially with two children.we eventually came back, about 7.30pm! I said “don’t worry we can watch tv” Oh no we can’t! The tv had packed up! I tried moving it slowly,changing the channels ect!
I then complained to the owner, and got “we are in a dip here in Weymouth, this happens all the time!” I think not! Just a poorly managed and under invested place!
I went outside to check tv in pub, it was fine! And on way back you could see through to next door, who were watching tv fine! It was a case of he couldn’t care less!
When I went down in the morning to pay! He had the nerve to ask me if I had enjoyed it! I started to explain but realised I was wasting my time!
My advise is you can get so much better for cheaper!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank cass102a
Steve D, Owner at Alexandra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2018

It was unfortunate that you had such a bad drive down, it never helps to start a break like that.
When making a booking it states that it is on a room only basis, and because of our ideal location there are numerous options for breakfast in the near vicinity that we are happy to recommend.
As I explained we used to suffer with the TV reception when the weather was particularly bad, luckily a rare occurrence. We had fairly recently taken on the hotel, and last year we were reliant on the existing infrastructure. However since your visit we have closed for three months to upgrade various parts of the hotel, including the TV aerials and cabling to resolve this issue.
We always ask on checkout if the stay has been enjoyable, as feedback helps us improve (especially given we have recently taken it on). I wish you had mentioned these other things during your visit, as hopefully shown with the lightbulb example, I would have done my best to rectify them for you.
Kind regards.