“Bad on every level”

Escape Dungeons
Ranked #4 of 9 Fun & Games in Weymouth
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We have three small rooms all under the Esplanade. Each room is redone every 6-12 months so that you can visit multiple times. We lock you in for one hour while, as a team, you have to solve a variety of clues and hidden messages to unlock multiple locks in order to escape.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift, Baby buggy parking, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The promotional banner on the railings outside brings you down some steps with no signage and no greeting. They actually lead you to an unrelated and seemingly derelict basement. Good start.

We were greeted with some degree of surprise by a guy decorating and a young girl. Our host arrived after being radioed. A poor start.

We were briefed in the hotel restaurant, and encouraged to leave our possessions in the deserted restaurant, being told that it was never un-staffed. It was empty when we arrived, and I find it hard to believe it was continuously manned. I would leave no valuable items there. There is no space in the escape room for possessions.

The escape rooms are tiny, which the venue makes clear. They’re about 10 feet long by about 6 feet wide, and have vaulted ceilings. There is insufficient space for 4 people and the props. We did the Prison, and there wasn’t sufficient space to lay out a key prop. We were constantly shuffling and jostling round each other.

We asked about asking for clues, and asked if we could buzz the intercom. We were told that there was no point, as she wouldn’t hear us. Where does that leave you if you need to get out in a hurry? Medical emergency? Panic attack? There is no panic button or means of emergency exit. Or if there is, it wasn’t communicated to us.

The props are disgusting. Out of respect to the venue I won’t describe what they are, but handling them was revolting, and they all need laundering.

The worst bit is that the room doesn’t work. After we escaped, we asked about a certain clue, and one device which looked like it should have been locked, and with something in it. We were told it was broken, and in the process of being fixed.

We were visited twice by the host, and we asked for a hint, only to be basically given the solution. There is no concept of hint. She said at the outset that she was learning. She was learning at the expense of our money and enjoyment.

Afterwards, we were asked twice if we’d enjoyed ourselves. We said Yes. This was a lie to spare blushes and an awkward moment. Beyond a full refund there’s nothing I would like in return. We were pleased to leave.

We’ve done a few escape rooms, and this is by a mile the worst.

Dirty. Basic. Broken. Expensive. Potentially dangerous.

1  Thank Ed L
All reviews
"great fun"
in 17 reviews
"team building"
"prison break"
"prison cell"
in 2 reviews
"escaped with minutes to spare"
"level of difficulty"
"reading glasses"
in 2 reviews
"staff were really friendly"
"all ages"
in 4 reviews
"prompts"
"challenges"

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My friend booked us into the prison break room for my birthday. What should've been a great afternoon was soon soured by this venue.

Upon arrival, we weren't asked to sign any kind of disclaimer, which I found slightly odd but just figured that they did this every day, so who was I to argue? We were led down some stairs to an empty dining room and told to leave our things on an empty table. Again, I found this strange as normally you'd be given a locker with a key.

We were shown into the room and told that if we had any problems to just press the button on the intercom and somebody would answer straight away. We were also shown where the camera was so we knew where to look if we needed them.

The room was so damp and didn't smell particularly great, but after driving for an hour to get there, we figured we'd just get on with it.

My friend hit her head on a hatch, that helpfully had the words "please close me" (or something similar) written on the underside. This of course would be fine, if there wasn't a clue inside.

We then tried to open a lock which felt jammed. My friend pressed the intercom and nothing happened. She pressed it a few more times and still nobody answered. This was followed by a good 15-20 minutes of buzzer pressing and dancing about in front of a camera before anybody showed up at all. If there had been a real emergency, somebody genuinely could've died in that time.

When the receptionist finally showed up, we were told that she'd be back in a second and she left, leaving the door to the room open. She did not come back! Instead, we left the room, got changed out of prison outifts, picked up our belongings and got all the way back to reception before we saw anyone.

The lady came in with the card reader, so obviously was already expecting us to ask for a refund. I'm guessing this isn't the first time it's happened.

I asked to speak to the manager, who I was told was in a meeting and might not come. When he finally did arrive, we were told we could come back to play their rooms again for free and have a meal on them. When we got the email confirmation, this had suddenly been downgraded to a main course.

If I could give this zero stars, I would. I worry that one day, someone will get hurt and nobody will come in time. Avoid avoid avoid! I'm so glad this wasn't my first escape room as it would put me off ever doing one again.

2  Thank Nicki B
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We play many escape rooms all over the country, we came to weymouth as a birthday treat for my best friend and it was a terrible mistake! We were not asked to sign any disclaimers when arriving, our personal belongings were suggested to be left in an empty dinning area unsecured! We were then asked to wear stupid costumes, being given no story or context, we were shown the room and advised that someone would be watching via a camera at all times and there was an intercom system if we needed help. So we start the game, but the room was so damp the first padlock jammed, so i went to call for help and realised the intercom wasnt working!? So i waved continuously into the camera, with no response for nearly 20 mins, we were quite worried, the door was locked and the game ruined, but we were also at risk, what if we needed medical assistance or there was a fire at the hotel? I ended up shouting out through a small hatch on the door, the girl then came running down, before i could properly explain, she opened the door and said wait here i will be right back? It was as if she knew we were going to ask for our money back before even listening to our concerns? Well she didnt come back, we got our stuff and went upto reception and waited, another 5 mins passes and she comes in saying she was trying to give me a refund!? She then said that she couldnt see me on the monitor waving , she only saw my friend, now this room is 4 mtrs in length and 3 mtrs wide and i was wearing a bright orange jumpsuit! We know there was no one monitoring us while we were in the room! This is a health and safety violation and i cannot stress enough how much this goes against any other escape room rules we play! The manager just offered for us to come back again for a free game? And he would throw in a free dinner, which then turned into a "main course only" when confirmed by email! Avoid this place, the reviews we read after expressed lots of others who have complained about the very same issues for nearly a year now, they clearly have no care or consideration to thier customers as they haven't fixed the issue. All the staff carry walkie talkies around with them, so give the customers those instead of relying on a system that clearly doesnt work! The unfortunate thing is i believe it will take someone to get hurt before this is shut down!

2  Thank nanabiggs
Reviewed 26 February 2018

We spent a great hour trying to escape on a cold February Sunday am. I booked over the phone, which was easy. It was well organised and both teams managed to escape from the two rooms, just in time. We were staying near Sherborne and I was looking for something fun to do with all the family and then we had a lovely afternoon in Weymouth. Would recommend.

See more reviews
Reviewed 21 January 2018 via mobile

We attended the Escape Dungeons last night for some Saturday early night entertainment however despite looking forward to the experience we were left feeling disappointed.

We arrived and were met by a friendly chap in reception who lead us to the bar due to our early arrival.

We had a drink in the bar and started talking about previous experiences of escape rooms that three of us had been to, as one had never been in one before building the excitement of experience.

We were lead downstairs by a friendly young woman who asked us if we wanted to get dressed up in a fluorescent reflective jacket and hard hat. This seemed unnecessary and cheap.

We were then led to the escape room. We opted for diffuse the bomb.

We were brought to the room and the lady explained the rules and a bit of a back story.

She explained that there was an intercom that goes straight to reception where we would be monitored and that she would be outside the door and to push open the door hatch and give her a yell if we needed her. She then locked us in. Slight problem with this is that we were actually locked in... in experience there is usually a “panic button” that releases the door if there is an issue however there was not here.

We set upon the tasks and followed the clues.

There were a few issues with this and without giving the game away the final clue to unlock the door wasn’t something you could discover following a line of clues... it wasn’t connected to anything and a stand-alone task to solve.

The room as a whole was damp and looked like a small coal bunker and with four of us in it there was barely room to move.

The items inside the room were broken, cheap and dirty.

All in all I have rated this poor, it would have been terrible however the staff we met were friendly enough to increase the grade.

This was the worst escape room that I have ever been to and lacks technology and imagination. The owners need to put money into these rooms for it to even be considered an acceptable escape room as for £80 an hour I am struggling to see where the money has been spent.

1  Thank Guy B