All reviews karen chris bunk beds half price parking full english a great stay small balcony ironing board travel cot biscuits friendly hosts guest house a lovely sea view local produce fresh fruit perfect hosts english breakfast home from home
Reviewed November 17, 2017

I've stayed at The Gresham hotel more than once and at different times throughout the year and have aways enjoyed my stay and been very happy with the high level of care, cleanliness and comfort provided by owners Chris and Karen. The hotel is ideally situated on the esplanade, overlooking the sea and is close to the town centre and Weymouth Railway Station, so is perfect for the beach in Summer and for a great choice of walks, and places to visit, in Dorset, during the Winter months.Chris and Karen are always welcoming, friendly and happy to go the extra mile to ensure an enjoyable stay. During my last visit at the beginning of November this year, after a bracing walk along Weymouth beach, it was great to head back to the warmth and welcome of this excellent small hotel. I would recommend a stay at The Gresham, at any time of the year.

Room Tip: If you have any special requirements, do check beforehand with The Gresham.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Karen H, Owner at Gresham Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2017

Dear racheldK9453GA
Thankyou very much for your review and kind words. It was lovely to see you again and we’re glad you have enjoyed staying with us. Thank you again.

Reviewed November 15, 2017

We had a lovely stay at the Gresham guest house. Karen and Chris were very friendly and welcoming. Our room was absolutely spot on with everything that we required - bottled water, tea, biscuits. Everything was very clean, and the breakfasts were absolutely incredible! I would 100% recommend the Gresham, and thank you to Karen & Chris for making our 4 nights away so lovely! We will definitely be coming back for another stay :)

Room Tip: The sea views are beautiful
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Stephanie B
Thank you very much for your review. We’re glad that you had a lovely stay with us and found us friendly and welcoming. Good to hear that you enjoyed the breakfasts too. We will look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed November 13, 2017 via mobile

I stayed at the Gresham Guest House for a night while working in Weymouth. I was a bit later than I said I would be but was greeted cheerfully and showed to me room. As I've experienced in quite a few B&Bs I put my breakfast order in the night before and it certainly lived up to expectation!

The room was a little dated but extremely clean, the bathroom was very clean too. I would definitely come back for another stay.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business

Dear TomGruitt
Many thanks for your review. We’re glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and that the breakfast met your expectations. We are continuing to upgrade and refurbish the decor we inherited on taking over the property.

Reviewed August 28, 2017 via mobile

Highly recommend this lovely Guest house!
(Five Star )

From the minute we arrived, we received a friendly smile & very warm welcome

Our room was well set out, immaculate, with hair dryer, ironing board, bottles of water, coffee/tea making facilities & biscuits.

The bathroom was modern, clean & well set out. With high quality products to use.

The bedding/towels were crisp & brilliant white. The bedroom carpet looked brand new. Home from home.

We had a choice of breakfast times, which was great & were able to pre order our breakfast the night before.

This meant our breakfast was served very quickly after we arrived in the dinning room.

The children enjoyed the Nutella provided for their toast & the large choice of cereals.

I loved the "Amazing" view of the beach &
watching the sea, while eating my breakfast. Beautiful....

We parked the car on arrival and didn't have to move it until we left. The guest house is within an easy walk to the town centre, harbour & sea life centre.

We are hoping to stay longer on our next visit. Five days didn't seem enough.

We loved it.... can't wait to come back to
Weymouth.

We wouldn't stay anywhere else.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Karen H, Owner at Gresham Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2017

Dear Beverley R
Thank you very much for your review and kind feedback.We are happy to hear that your family had a good time and found the room immaculate and were happy with the new range of toiletries we are providing. Its good to know as well that you all enjoyed your breakfasts (Nutella has been very popular this Summer!) and also the sea views from the dining room. We will look forward to seeing you again in the future and we hope the children got all their 'treasures' and panda home safely!

Reviewed August 27, 2017 via mobile

After reading all the positive reviews for the Gresham Guesthouse I was expecting good things. Unfortunately we were disappointed with our room (number 7) It was advertised as a small double & I can't argue, this is exactly what it was. In my view, the room would be more suited to accommodate a single bed. The ensuite shower room was tiny. If you're a larger person then good luck having a shower, it's like something from a dolls house with the shower door being unable to fully open due to the avocado green sink being situated so close to the shower. The room, including the ensuite was clean but shabby with chipped paintwork & marks/splashes up the wall. The room is in desperate need of some TLC. Lighting was harsh, leaving the room feeling cold & soulless. No bedside tables (there wasn't room for them) the double bed was pushed right up to the wall therefore one person had to climb across. No dressing table, just an old small pine chest of draws which housed the kettle, mugs etc. A small complimentary bottle of water was in the room, one bottle between two guests! The room came complete with a hairdryer which looked like it was something from the 1960's & would've been better placed in a museum.

Now for breakfast. Unlike other guesthouses & B&B's I have stayed at, here you had to pre-order your breakfast the night before & state what time you will be requiring breakfast. We opted for our breakfast to be served at 9:15am. We were greeted by Chris who was most pleasant. It was at least 15 minutes before we received the hot beverages we had pre-ordered, however there were cold drinks available (milk & orange juice. The jug of apple juice had run out but was replenished 10 minutes later) Our cutlery was dirty. It looked like dried on cereal on the spoon. Karen provided a clean spoon but no apology was made. After waiting 25 minutes past our allotted breakfast time, breakfast was served. I'd like to say it was worth the wait but all I can say is it was distinctly average.

Our stay here was largely let down by our shabby, uncared for room & I would not recommend this accommodation. Definitely not worth the £90 we paid.

On the plus side, the room does have beautiful sea views.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank ZSC83

Dear ZSC83

Thank you for your review. We are sorry that you were unhappy with every aspect of your stay and disappointed that you were not able to give us the opportunity to discuss this as soon as you checked in to the room. As you say, the room is accurately described as a small double and the photographs which clearly show the furniture including that one side of the bed is against the wall, that were available to you when you booked, show pretty much the details that you have shared in your pictures here. You stayed in August bank holiday week, a time when the rooms are at full capacity and have large numbers of people checking in and out. As I am sure you can appreciate this means that when guests knock cases and bags into the paintwork or accidentally spray sun tan oil which hits the wall (the 2 photos you posted), it is very difficult to repaint until the room is not booked - most people wouldn't want to check in to a room with wet paint. The breakfast time chosen is the approximate time guests would like to come to the dining room and at that point we cook the breakfast fresh. If we were to cook it ready for the selected time, many would be cold and inedible as guests do not always come down at the time they choose. The senior staff member (not Karen) who replaced the spoon with dishwasher water marks on it did apologise to you and was very polite even when the same respect was not shown to her. There were over 30 guests having breakfast and while there was a wait for the breakfasts to be cooked fresh, the other guests were happy to chat, eat cereals, fruit and yoghurt and enjoy the sea view from the breakfast room. If you needed to have breakfast very quickly and had let us know we would have done our best to accommodate this. While we respect your opinion we know that it isn't shared by the very vast majority of guests as you will have seen by our previous reviews but we are very sorry that we didn't meet your expectations and it does appear that you didn't see all of the relevant information before the last minute booking was made.
Kind regards