“Best Pie Ever!!! Lovely Staff.”

The Handmade Pie & Ale House
Ranked #18 of 310 Restaurants in Weymouth
Price range: US$3 - US$13
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We, at our National British Pie Award winning Handmade Pie & Ale House are setting out to create the most premium of pies and to serve the most traditional, tastiest constantly changing ales, of which we always have some local and some from various parts of the country. We now have up to six to choose from and you are always welcome to have a FREE try before you buy!! We are proud to have our beautifully renovated old restaurant / bar where you can sit, enjoy and take in the charming surroundings whilst being looked after by our lovely caring staff and you can eat drink and be merry. Our pies are lovingly made by us, by hand, in our open-plan pie kitchen (where you can also see them being made!) With our homemade pastry and homemade fillings, no two pies are ever the same. We are constantly making our pies fresh from a selection of over 38 different flavours - we even make our own low calorie 'smart pies' and of course several vegetarian options. Also, if for some reason you don't fancy one of our multi award winning pies, we even have a NON PIE menu, which, believe it or not is called the 'We Don't Just Do Pies' menu! This has an ever changing variety of good old home cooking favourites and specialty boards, such as a meat & cheese sharer, our own crispy chicken wings, our own homemade gooey Brie Wedges in Panko breadcrumbs and 1/2 a rotisserie chicken on a board! Plus good old proper relaxing Sunday lunches, with roast leg of lamb, aged Scottish beef, stuffed rolled crispy belly pork etc. Not hungry? Alternatively, if you prefer just come and enjoy a drink in our beautiful bar and just have a good old piece of free hospitality on the side.......
Reviewed July 23, 2017

Had a really lovely meal here, not just pies on the menu but they are delicious. Would highly recommend, nice cocktails too.

SomersetHotelBBQ, Manager at The Handmade Pie & Ale House, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2017

Hi samj17uk.

Thank you for your recent 5* review. Yes your right, we don't just so pies, we also offer a fantastic range of other mains, starters and sharing boards too! I'm also very pleased to read that you enjoyed some of our lovely cocktails too our menu currently offers around 35 different cocktails and we are due to be putting it up to around 50 including ice cream cocktails too as well as a great selection of mocktails so be sure to keep an eye out for that!!

Ciaran Donaldson and my 'Trusty Pie Team'

Write a ReviewReviews (1,788)

Reviewed July 21, 2017 via mobile

Having read previous reviews I decided to check this place out for myself. It was after 1pm when I arrived & I noted I was the only person in the establishment apart from staff. The tables & chairs are of the old fashion wooden type which lent to its charm. I felt the music was loud but good choice of artists. The waitress came over & explained menu to me Service very attentive as only customer. Ordered the popular steak & ale pie with garden peas & chips. When I enquired as to whether the chips were chunky or not, I was told "yes" & that the chips are steamed first before frying. The daily board has 10 different varieties of pies. My order came with a choice of drink included in the price. You could choose from coke/diet coke/J2O/tea/coffee & certain beers or lager. I was told my meal would be ready in about 20mins. During that time I was offered a choice of morning papers to read. Nice touch I thought. In the evening from 8-11 on Sunday to Thursday buy 1 cocktail full price get 2nd half price. I noted there was something like 33 different cocktails to choose from some of which I'd not heard of (must be showing my age lol!!) Food came nicely presented with the gravy in separate jug. Chips served in a tiny frying basket (right on trend), the garden peas (which I was lead to believe were fresh but actually frozen) served in a tiny collinder with the handmade pie sat at the end of the plate. Yes you could tell by the crimping of the pastry round the edge & the letters "S & A" that the pie was handmade. Chips were divine best I've ever tasted no grease just lovely & crisp. Peas alright but the pie very disappointing. The pastry was very thick & doughy, meat tender with a few slices of mushrooms. I found it quite bland & the gravy thick & cold. Both food & plate not very hot. Pastry to thick & not melt in your mouth. However did get given a proper linen napkin. If you like your ales they do have a good selection. The pumps are numbered with name of ale & strength. If unsure you can sample. I felt that if you're paying around £12 for a pie meal you should have a nice selection of fresh steamed vegetables served with either new potatoes/boiled or jacket. I would have loved to given this restaurant a 5 star rating but for me the pastry & peas let it down. Overpriced for what you get & I have had bigger/better & cheaper homemade pies served with a abundance of fresh veg. Oh by the way saw the same homemade pie in a shop in Weymouth town for £3.95!
Ladies toilet had broken latch & the tiniest cubicles ever.

SomersetHotelBBQ, Manager at The Handmade Pie & Ale House, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2017

Hi G0lddigga18

Thank you for your recent review.
I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed the music upon your visit, a lot of thought has ​been put into creating the background playlist and does create a lot of great attention​, however I ​do ​apologise if it was slightly to loud for you, this is something we will certainly keep an eye on but you are always more than welcome to ask you​r​ server and they would be more than happy to ​adjust it for you.
I understand that you arrived on a quiet day, which I must say is very rare as we are a very popular venue, but I can assure you that the service we provide to our clientele is very highly rated​, ​whether ​we have one customer ​at the time or 100. I'm pleased ​to see ​that you managed to take advantage of our fantastic lunchtime deal which includes a FREE drink with any pie meal and thank you for mentioning our growing cocktail menu, our aim is to be able to offer a total of 50 different cocktails very soon...
I​ see ​that you felt as though your pastry was​ too​ "thick & not melt in the mouth" and that you were let down by the peas​. We are here to please, o​ur aim is for all of our clientele to leave our doors happy​ and​ should you ever feel as though there is something wrong with your meal we would appreciate being told either at the start of your meal or on your table check so we can correct the problem quickly and efficiently.
I was quite taken back when you mentioned that we are "overpriced" as this is not something I have ever heard before​. You had a national multi award-winning pie​,​ served with two sides, a jug of gravy and a FREE DRINK, worth up to £5.20 ​- and you consider this ​is not good value? ​ ​Sorry, but we disagree​! However, the world is made up of all different sorts of people and you are entitled to your opinion​,​ just like our thousands of entirely contended guests. ​I must also correct you in your statement that the same pie is available elsewhere in the town at £3.95, this is simply not true.​
​Lastly, thank you for ​bringing it to the attention of all reviewers by ​providing a photo of our toilet door, we were already aware ​the lock had been broken by ​a customer on the evening prior to your visit and has ​already been replaced.

Reviewed July 19, 2017

Had dinner here with teenagers and grandfather. Pies (a wide range) were fabulous, as were side orders. Very good selection of ales, and lovely atmosphere in what is essentially a small pub. Service very good too, if a bit over the top.

Hi BurtChillerworthy.

Thank you for your recent 5* review. I'm very pleased that you and your table thoroughly enjoyed your meals and that you found the pie selection to be of a wide range.
Once again thank you for your fantastic review and we hope to welcome you back again very soon.

Reviewed July 19, 2017 via mobile

This was our first visit to the Pie and Ale House and we will be going back.

The pastry for the pies are handmade in house, the selection of pies changes daily so you can be assured of a different pie each visit.

They have a number of ales on tap as well as the normal largers plus a good selection of bottled beers.

I would highly recommend booking a table as it is a small place so gets busy quickly especially at weekends and during the summer season.

Now on to the pies, well they are fantastic, you have to wait a while after placing your order as they are all freshly cooked, this gives time to enjoy your pint. When the pie comes out it is well worth the weight. The pastry is beautiful, the filling is out of this world.

I will be back next time I'm in Weymouth and you will know it's me as I will look like the guy who has eaten all the pies. Yummy Yummy

Hi Mark H.

Thank you for your 5* review and for your fantastic intro... Yes we have quite an extensive bar offering lagers, real ales, ciders, hot drinks, vintage wines, craft cocktails, craft lagers, ciders, bottles, spirits and so much more as you already mentioned, you can indulge into one of these beverages while you wait for your fresh piping hot homemade pies to be delivered to your table. We offer on our menu 9 ever-changing pie flavours out of a total of 52 so yes you can be assured that you'll be trying something different each time you visit.
Once again, thank you for your lovely review and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed July 19, 2017

Looking for somewhere to eat on a short break, nice atmosphere, friendly staff, very popular while we were there. Food was served at the right temp' not too hot as experienced at other resturants. Shame we don't live closer. Plus excellent Ales.

2  Thank Bay80

Hi jane b.

Thank you for your recent review. I'm very happy you had such a wonderful dining experience when visiting us on your short break and thank you for mentioning our ales, as you can imagine, we take ales very seriously here at The Handmade Pie & Ale House so it does put a smile on our faces when we receive a comment such as yours...