“First visit to Lorton”

Lorton Meadows Conservation Centre
Ranked #55 of 78 things to do in Weymouth
More attraction details
Owner description: Owner description: Lorton Meadows Conservation Centre, owned and run by Dorset Wildlife Trust, includes wildlife displays, wildlife webcams, wildlife books for sale (please phone for opening times). There are also toilets plus a picnic area and parking (disabled facilities). Situated on the edge of Weymouth the nature reserve covers 75 hectares that you're welcome to explore on our nature trails. The wildflower meadows, small woodlands and thick hedges attract a variety of bird & butterfly species. Lorton Meadows is adjacent to Lodmoor (RSPB) and Two Mile Coppice (Woodland Trust) reserves which together form the Lorton Valley Nature Park. Useful Information: We run a programme of events & activities for children, adults and families - please see our website 'events'. We also run regular Volunteer Conservation Tasks and offer school educational visits. There is a wheelchair and buggy accessible path around Withy Woods & the picnic area, and cycle parking.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Baby buggy parking, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Reviewed May 30, 2015

Lorton is a hidden gem - a peaceful oasis that you'd barely know is a stone's throw from the centre of Weymouth.

It's a vast patchwork of wildflower meadows and woodland, packed full with birds, bees and butterflies.

2  Thank Matt W

Reviewed May 12, 2015

Take a family out to visit an attraction and the chances are that your wallet will be seriously depleted, so in an age where everything seems to cost more and more it was a real pleasure to visit this nature reserve which is absolutely free.
The rough track down to the Centre gives advance warning that this is a truly rural setting.
The Centre itself offers numerous information boards dealing with the type of wildlife and habitat setting you are likely to come across as well as offering a a number of tables and benches, very useful if your day happens to be a wet one and you need somewhere to regroup over the sandwiches.
This is a true family attraction, so toilets have to be a major consideration for the little ones and not only does the Centre have both male and female but a special toilet for disabled people as well. All of them were clean and well kept.
My day was blazing sunshine so, before I went out on a walk, I took the time to stroll towards the picnic area, passing an open sided shed on the way which contains plank seating below more information boards, again to enable visitors to be informed under shelter if the weather turns.
Go through a little gate and the picnic area open out before you with a children play area complete with wooden equipment and wooden animal figures on poles.
The play area ends at the top where people can walk down towards a series of picnic tables not far from a pond with a small platform jutting out into it in case youngsters want to go pond dipping.
Back at the Centre, which has parking for 15-20 cars, I stood for a moment by an area which has several beehives and watched the industrious creatures come and go.
A nearby signpost set me on my way along a nature trail and I was soon striding over sward which rose slowly until I reached Green Hill where I was surrounded by an array of newly planted oak trees.
I like oaks and so was mentally congratulating Dorset Wildlife Trust for planting them when I saw a small notice which told me they'd had nothing to do with it.Instead, the oaks owed their existence to forgetful jays which had buried acorns for food in hard times and had then forgotten where they'd put them. Still a very effective way of creating new oaks.
My way continued on and I was soon plunging into dense woodland with paths going off in all directions.
I followed one until it crossed a small stream and then I doubled back to try another which I discovered eventually brought walkers back to the Centre.
Along the way I met a man out walking his dog who praised the reserve for its myriad birdlife and some very beautiful wild flowers including orchids.
Almost everywhere you go there are signs of habitat work be it carefully piled logs or simply some hazel hurdles put up to shield a bird feeding station so people can creep up and see them feeding without disturbing the birds.
Even the entry area to the side of the Centre has been put to good use and planted with apple trees which were in full blossom when I was there.
I spent a very happy two hours here and could have spent more, but I had not thought to bring a picnic with me. Next time I'll remember because Lorton Meadows is an ideal day out with perhaps the morning spent dramping trails and paths before lunch in the picnic area and an afternoon spent round the pond or in the Centre. A wonderful place to visit, enjoy and relax.

5  Thank singhasam