“Long track down to a bit of peace and quiet.”

Lorton Meadows Conservation Centre & Nature Reserve
Ranked #55 of 82 things to do in Weymouth
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Lorton Meadows Conservation Centre & Nature Reserve, owned and run by Dorset Wildlife Trust. The Centre includes: displays, wildlife webcams, wildlife books & gifts, Dorset coffees, teas and flapjacks (all major cards accepted), toilets, parking (inc disabled facilities) & bike racks. Please phone for opening times. Situated on the edge of Weymouth the nature reserve covers 75 hectares of wildflower meadows, woodland copses and mature hedges, which attract a variety of bird & butterfly species. You're welcome to explore on our 5 nature trails, including a short wheelchair & buggy accessible path around Withy Woods & the picnic area. Throughout the year we run a programme of events & activities for children, adults & families - please see our website events lists. We also run regular Volunteer Conservation Tasks and offer school educational visits. Lorton Meadows is part of the Lorton Valley Nature Park, which also includes Lodmoor (RSPB) & Two Mile Coppice (Woodland Trust) reserves.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Baby buggy parking
Reviewed December 14, 2015

I took my son's dog down here for walk after being recommended by a friend.
Be careful of the drive down to the car park, once you pass the new housing development, the track becomes single lane, with probably one passing place.
When I visited it raining, and a little miserable weather wise.
Still I found one of the conveniently placed maps for walkers etc. We set off on the Ewe Leaze trail, about 1- 1 1/2 hrs walk. The map is easy to follow, and the route is interesting. On the way down to the reserve you cross a railway line and the by pass. Surprisingly, there is little intrusive noise.
At my time of visiting the centre was actually shut, or I would have bought a hot drink to support the Dorset Wildlife Trust who run the reserve.
Now I know where this reserve is, I will return on a day with better weather.

1  Thank Nick K

Reviewed December 12, 2015

What a gem, after living in the area for over 10 years and often driving past the sign and turning for Lorton Meadows we finally made it here. A perfect spot, great views and varied walking, you can be in the woods and feel in the country even though you're so close to town. Great dog walking spot, just be aware it can get a bit muddy out of season and due to the long grass there can be ticks. The Dorset Wildlife Trust really have done something special here.

Reviewed September 29, 2015

I took my niece and great nephews to Lorton for a 'Pond Dipping' seesion and had a wonderful time with them examining the amazing selection of tiny creatures found in the pond. The boys were thoroughly engrossed in the activity and happily concentrated for 1.5 hours spotting strange animals with the magnifiers. There were drawing materials inside the information centre and a selection of books and gifts to buy. When we had a walk in the meadows, we spotted butterflies and lots of blackberries - yum!

Reviewed June 25, 2015 via mobile

Lorton Meadows is an absolutely stunning place to visit. I walk my dog here regularly and it is beautiful; a real hidden gem. The fields are absolutely stunning classical Meadows filled with butter cups, cornflowers and a variety of wildlife. Everything is clearly signposted and it really is a place to get away from the noise and pollution of every day life.
Be aware that this is not a day out so much as a place to walk so it's probably not recommended for very young children unless you're able to carry them or put them in a carry pack but it is a fantastic place to walk with the dog and the family!