“The best fish and chips!”
Review of The Gloucester

The Gloucester
Ranked #45 of 308 Restaurants in Weymouth
Price range: US$6 - US$30
Description: We are a family friendly seaside sports pub. We follow the ethos of great home cooked food. As well showing the sky sports and BT sports on our 10 screens we also showcase the best live bands and performers from across the whole of Dorset.
Reviewed December 4, 2016

Good tunes. Good food. Good service. What more could you ask for?
This was probably the best fish and chips I've ever had. I don't eat it much, but when you're visiting the coast, obviously this is a must. Fish was fresh. Chips were perfect. The batter was on point. I ate every last bite. I would totally go back!

Reviewed December 3, 2016

When I called to book I was given the impression it was chock a block with Xmas diners and I was lucky to be fitted in, when I arrived there were about 6 people in the pub. Essentially the staff was young and inattentive but the drinks were good. We elected to have the steak option which meant paying an extra £4 each, meaning the value of the meal came to £55.80 ( we actually paid £28.. £20 for the groupon and an extra £8 for the steak option). It was a bog standard steak (unseasoned) and chips with mushroom ans a bit of salad. It was well cooked and presented in good time but the steak which was supposed to be 28 days aged was tough and chewy. The chef should ask for a refund. The ice cream sunday dessert was generously proportioned and topped off with squirty cream and a sprinkle of crushed crunchie. Disappointing for the price, I would have been gutted if I had paid full whack. Wetherspoons is better value. Maybe staff could ask if customers are enjoying their meal?

Reviewed December 2, 2016

We had been to The Gloucester twice recently for the Sunday carvery. Good value at £9.95. We found ourselves in Weymouth early evening this Friday 2nd December and as we live in Poole decided to eat at The Gloucester. We ordered mixed grills at £15 . The meat arrived on hot stones uncooked, I small steak (poor quality), 1 Chicken breast (,my wife's was twice the size of mine) and 1 burger (tasteless), A burger bap was provided,a cereal bowl of chips ,nice and tasty but not enough.and a cereal bowl of salad ,very bland.First, I went to eat out and have the food cooked by a chef, it felt like I was being used to do their job. No wonder it only took 4 minutes from order to service. I cooked the burger as best i could but the stone started cooling and it was a job to cook the burger properly. Having prepared the burger i then ate it with the chips and salad. This now left me with a chicken breast and small steak to eat solo.,no other vegetables served apart from the chips which were a normal serving with a burger.Very very poor, Not even a few mushrooms.Has the Chef given up,or does the budget prohibit .The presentation skills were nonexistent .This was supposed to be a mixed grill. I,ve had better in a b & b Where was the variety? , The waiter was cold and didn.t even ask ,how was the meal.? Minimal interest in the job. We could hear the Chef shouting and clowning around in the kitchen just after we sat down on table 20 right by the service entrance. This was not a good sign and proved to be so.

Also the heating for the eating area was not on ,I had my coat on for the entire experience, All the radiators were cold and it was bloody freezing outside.

Sorry Gloucester but won,t be back despite your carvery

Reviewed November 28, 2016

After deliberating and considering a number of venues in Weymouth we decided that we would head to The Gloucester to celebrate my son's 7th birthday and my dad's 75th birthday.
I had booked a table prior to arriving and all the things I had asked for catered for ... we weren't sat near one of several TV's showing the football and they had decorated the table.
We all easily found something we fancied on the menu, especially the kids who loved sharing a rotisserie chicken! My parents both had steak, which they never eat, and enjoyed every mouthful. Everyone left feeling nicely full and the bill was perfectly reasonable for the amount of food and drink we had consumed.
My only negative comments would be that the pub could do with a bit of a spruce up, especially if they can make it a little lighter and brighter. Also one of the staff who served us could do with smiling once in a while.
Would we go back? Yes I think we would

Reviewed November 20, 2016 via mobile

Lovely atmosphere, interesting menu in which you can cook your own steak on a hot rock. Deffo visit again!

1  Thank Lucy S

Been to The Gloucester? Share your experiences!