“Hidden Gem”

Slater's Country Inn
south
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 23 May 2011

Attended a wedding at hotel , staying for the weekend , booked a family room offering a twin and double room ,large clean and tidy and good value for money. wonderful breakfast each morning.Bar food excellent, Staff where all friendly and polite .
The hair saloon on site was wonderful this was booked for bridal party and everyone looked wonderful, great asset to the hotel.
This hotel is set in a quite location relaxing time had by all
Big thanks to all the staff for a wonderful weekend at Slaters Country Inn.

Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank roseSouth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2011

I and my now wife had our wedding on2/4/2011 at slaters.
From the ceremony, sit down wedding breakfast , to the evening do.
The venue was wonderful
The staff could not do enough for us both before during and after the wedding
The food was first class
the rooms were very high standard.
We cannot sing enough praises about slaters and how every one there made our wedding day, a real day to remember. Thank you all

Room Tip: Have your wedding here you cannot beat it
  • Stayed April 2011
1 Thank moley11
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2010

Stayed for 2 nights for a family wedding and was very impressed. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel very welcome and nothing was too much trouble. Felt very relaxing as it was not fussy but just friendly and efficient. The food was really excellent, restaurant, wedding and breakfast. A delightful place which as well experienced travellers we would recommend.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Beattie17
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2010

I found this hotel on Late Rooms at a reduced cost of £75 for the night, usually £85. The photos looked ok and anyway it was only for 2 nights, last minute decision. On the + side the room was very clean, quite large and quiet. On the - side, the TV was almost an antique with just the 5 terrestial channels, the kettle didn't work properly, only 1 pillow each on the bed and the shower head over the bath, was either like a tap or a water canon. the reception was deserted (Friday, 4.30 p.m. other guests arriving too) with a sign telling you to check in at the main bar. Traipsed over to the bar, one person checking in other guests. Gave us the key and virtually told us 'go find the room yourself'. Next morning I asked the receptionist to help us find a local shopping centre. She gave us an AA route planner but..... to the wrong destination! On our return she politely asked if we had enjoyed our day and I explained that we had the wrong directions. I promise you I didn't even get an apology! Later that afternoon, I 'phoned down to reception to ask if we could have a paper the next morning (that hadn't been offered at all) and the phone just rang off the hook. Saturday night we had dinner in the restaurant that adjoins the hotel. The main meal was good, though I believe that the Scallops starter at £6.95 for 3 small scallops to be very overpriced, as was the desserts at £5.95 for a slice of sticky toffee pudding. One of the lads serving behind the bar made a derogatory remark to me about having a 3rd glass of wine!!!! Most offensive, and I really believe he would not have done that had it been my partner that was at the bar at that moment. As we were leaving the next morning, I asked the receptionist (different member of staff from the previous day) if I could have a look at one of the gifts for sale in the glass cabinet in the reception area. No key was available to unlock the cabinet, and so we left, with not even 'I hope you have had a nice stay' or 'was everything to your liking'. Don't get me wrong, this wasn't the worse hotel I have stayed in, but it was close to being the coldest in terms of customer service. Don't think I saw a single member of smile the whole time we were there. I felt that the room offered nothing more than you could hope to get from a Travelodge and that £85 or £75 per room was really far more than it was worth.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank uptheswanee
Newcastle-Under-Lyme
Reviewed 9 December 2009

Slaters is set in miles of beatiful countryside with brilliant views. We stayed for a wedding and the reception drinks in the gardens was brilliant. The food (wedding breakfast) was excellent too - very tasty, well cooked and plenty! Ticks all the boxes.

Unusually, the bar prices were pretty good too with a round of 5 various drinks coming to just under £20 - can't complain at that!

The room we stayed in was in the new part and was lovely! it was clean, well furnished and had everything you would expect. The cockeral woke us up at 6am, but this is the countryside so that is to be expected really!

Overall, I enjoyed our stay here, but at £79, the room was a bit expensive! Food, drinks and the wedding party was good though!

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Hols_and_Meals_Out
England
Reviewed 23 July 2009

I only stayed for one night at Slaters, but wish it could have been more. Beautiful area that was perfect for a long summer drink in the gardens, fantastic food, quiet, comfy rooms and wonderful staff that could never do too much to help. Room was spotless, had everything I could need and (unusually for my stays in hotels) was incredibly quiet so I had a great nights sleep. Would definitely reccommend to anyone.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
Dorset
Reviewed 12 November 2008

A special occasion stay, clean rooms in new part, which is more important than anything for me. Although my other member of the family had an outside cottage type room and that was not so clean and badly in need of refurbishment. Cigarettes thrown outside the cottage doors from previous guests left!Miserable staff and chef. Strange housekeeper the following morning, think she needed to wash her badly greasy hair!Off putting on our way to breakfast that could have been better too.Best bit was the room in the new block and worst bit was the staff. Place very dark in the middle of nowhere. The customer service is not too good and they all need a personality check.Not stay again or recommend.

• Liked — leaving the carpark
  • Disliked — weird staff
  • Stayed September 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle-under-Lyme
9.3 km away
15.5 km away
Best Western Plus Stoke on Trent Alsager Manor House Hotel
11.4 km away
Best Western Plus Stoke-On-Trent Moat House

Been to Slater's Country Inn? Share your experiences!